Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2015, 03:17 PM   #1

LED replacment lights in Jayco TT

I was at the Nashville RV show yesterday, there was a company there showing LED light replacements which caught my eye. The company was Arconlighting.com In the Jayco 26rks my manual shows that the interior lights are 921 bulbs and the outside patio lights are a 922. Seems simple to me. Arcon offers both a soft LED and a Bright LED replacement bulb. the 921 claim a 105 lumans and the 922 a 60 lumans. Both seem very low in power usage.

We are heading out in a few months to go on a 5 day dry camp in the smokeys so I want to cut back our usage as much as I can. Arcon has a 5 year warranty on their products.

Not cheap but a place to start... I think I need 12 or 13 921's inside and 2 922's out.

I was wondering if any one on here have given them a try... Our local Jayco dealer stocks them (at full price no doubt) ... I"ve searching for alternative sources to buy these... I think that if I change all of our indoor and the two patio lights before we go my chance of a much lower power drain on our battery will pay off. (we are in a Non Generator site).

So, any comments and help would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2015, 03:30 PM   #2

David, we have neither a Jayco, nor the specific bulbs you mention, but we did a similar conversion on our new trailer when we bought it a year ago. All I say is it was a great idea, very pleased we did it, and it took some of the angst out of wondering how things will go when boondocking! They sure don't burn much battery......

Nick B

Old 01-11-2015, 03:45 PM   #3
JDT

Not my forum but happened to see this. I am replacing 19 bulbs with the T10 921 base and 23 with the G4 base in our fifth wheel. Paying $7 to 12 per bulb would not be fun so I found what I needed on Ebay and Amazon. They are all made in China no matter where you buy them as far as I know. I think you may want to check the lumens though. We tried some in the less than 200 range and thought they were dimmer than the originals. We wanted to add some light and found the ones with a 300-350 lumen to be more to our liking. They are all enclosed in fixtures with frosted glass which does tone them down some. We prefer the warm white. I am replacing the 921's with a bulb that has 30 LED's with a lumen rating of 350. The portion with the LED's is about an inch and quarter long and about 3/4 wide so they are pretty good sized. I found a pack of 10 on Amazon for about $53 and free shipping. If you are interested just search for T10 30-5050 smd warm white and some will pop up. Also, the 24 LED bulb is not bad at around 300 lumens and can be had for some less. There are an almost infinite number of choices in the size and number of the LED's on the bulb. By trial and error I came up with these but you may find something else to your liking.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:06 PM   #4

I am going to check the 2015 line of Jayco Jay Flight trailers, I think they may have gone LED... if they have I may find one like my model and see what they have installed in them and at least I could see what they look like :-) I am surpised at all the options, models, rates and prices of these LED's. I"m going to check out the sources you have mentioned at the same time I'm going to go out to the TT and check out how much room there are in the standard Incandescent fixtures I have. I wonder how the increase in Power drain goes up as you move up in the number of LED's in the fixture.

Also, I noticed that the LED lights in the RV's I've seen there is almost a Halo effect emitted from the fixtures.. quite a bit different look from the incandescent. I"m ok with the light our trailer puts out with the Incandescent.. I"ll just have to figure out what the specs on the factory Incandescent are for the 921 and 922 bulbs.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:19 PM   #5

I have replaced every incandescent bulb with LEDs in our fiver. My wife and I prefer the cool white. Whenever I consider an LED, if there is a lumen choice, I go with the higher. While not cheap (did most of this before it became a popular choice) it has worked well in keeping the battery charge up while dry-camping.
Lots of choices, lots of chances to go wrong, so work hard on getting the correct one first. I did a lot of shopping at Superbrightleds.com they were very helpful in figuring out what I needed before buying.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:21 PM   #6
JDT

I have read in some places the 921's produce around 220 or so lumens and others up to 300 so I guess they are in that neighborhood.

In my research I found this. You will see a number on the LED's. The most common I see is something like 30-5050 smd, 24-3528 smd, 12-5730 smd, etc. The first number is the number of the LED's on the bulb and the second indicates the size. The 3528, 5050 and 5730 seems to be the most common size. The 5050 means each LED measures .5mm X .5 mm, 3528 is 3.5mm x 2.8mm, etc. Different sizes have different power draws. The 5050's use .2 watts per led, the 3528's use .06 and 5730's use .5. So, my 30-5050's use 30x.2 = 6 watts compared to the 20 for each of the incandescents. I think that is a pretty good improvement.

I will use 5730's in my ceiling lights for even more light as they are brighter than the other sizes which I guess is because they use more power. A bulb with 9 of these produce more than 400 lumens but they do use more power at 4.5 watts. Still a lot less than what I have now.

As far as the halo effect I think the pictures are misleading. We did not see that at all in the test bulbs. The color is a bit brighter but in no way is it harsh. The cool whites probably would be.

As a disclaimer I am in no way an expert on this subject. All I know is what I read on the internet and you know how that goes but I think I'm close to getting what will work for us.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:19 PM   #7

Hi, I don't know how much you are paying but this site https://www.cabinbright.com/ had bulbs for 9 bucks.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:04 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidki View Post
I"ll just have to figure out what the specs on the factory Incandescent are for the 921 and 922 bulbs.
Bulb spec's Bulbs Specs - J.W. Speaker Corporation

We have on fixture in our MH that I installed years ago to replace a fluorescent light. It has four 1141 bulbs and each bulb takes 18 watts. The wall switch gets warm so I ordered some LED's for it that take 2.5 watts each or 10 watts for all four. Hope the DW will like them!! Last time I got an LED I only put one in to try it and she told me to take it out as soon as she turned the light on!! If she doesn't like them then I have more for the bay lights!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:44 AM   #9

I thought I'd update this thread with a little more information on my change over from the factory incandescent to the LED's I bought (Amazon, Gold Star 280 lumen s) 12 pcs, $74.00 shipped.

So far in my Jayco TT I replaced the fixtures inside that have 2 bulbs ea. 6 of them using up my 12 LED's. I the change out so far has dropped my Amp-Watt draw by 75% or more... I was really surprised as I changed out each fixture I watched as the draw. I have ordered 12 more bulbs and plan to change out the rest of the fixtures when they get in next week. I puruchased the "Natural White" bulbs and they really look good they are bright, but not harsh, a far better look than the incandescent that were in there. I was concerned that my wife would think the trailer was too bright but when she walked in she just said, Wow, really looks great. So I am really pleased. I figure in most cases when were in the TT at night, we may have one Kitchen, 1 living room fixture on and with that I'll be drawing very little from the batteries when boondocking.

Now, I'm ready go get serious on the change from 1 12v interstate marine/rv to a 2 6v golf-cart battery set up (probably Trojan T105's)
Old 01-23-2015, 08:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidki View Post
I thought I'd update this thread with a little more information on my change over from the factory incandescent to the LED's I bought (Amazon, Gold Star 280 lumen s) 12 pcs, $74.00 shipped.

So far in my Jayco TT I replaced the fixtures inside that have 2 bulbs ea. 6 of them using up my 12 LED's. I the change out so far has dropped my Amp-Watt draw by 75% or more... I was really surprised as I changed out each fixture I watched as the draw. I have ordered 12 more bulbs and plan to change out the rest of the fixtures when they get in next week. I puruchased the "Natural White" bulbs and they really look good they are bright, but not harsh, a far better look than the incandescent that were in there. I was concerned that my wife would think the trailer was too bright but when she walked in she just said, Wow, really looks great. So I am really pleased. I figure in most cases when were in the TT at night, we may have one Kitchen, 1 living room fixture on and with that I'll be drawing very little from the batteries when boondocking.

Now, I'm ready go get serious on the change from 1 12v interstate marine/rv to a 2 6v golf-cart battery set up (probably Trojan T105's)
Two 6 volts will be a good up grade. Also check your charging voltage and type of converter. If you run a generator and want shorter run times you will need more than the 13.6 that some converters are limited to. I upgraded my converter to a PD4655 (14.4 boost) and also use a Quick Charge 1250 battery charger. It will do 15.4 volts.

On Board Chargers Standard

Tags
jayco, lights