Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Length of trailer

Hi all,

back years ago, when I bought a trailer, the length that was in the name, was the length including the hitch. for example, my wilderness was a 26H, it measured 27 feet.
our new camper is a jayco 316rkds. when people ask us how long it is, I say 34 feet, cuz that what is measures out to, and I include the hitch as I'm used to doing that.
DSO calls it 31 feet, which is what the name shows.

is it different nowadays? I just figure that people know to take 3 feet for hitch.

what would you guys say when asked the lenth?
momto6ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #2

I use the length of the "box". which means "living space".
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
and I thought that was just a guy thing. LOL
our TT was a 30WRLTS and it was 34'-8" on the brochure (tip to tail) so I told everyone it was a 34' trailer as did others with that model.
SMRDNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #4

The living space in mine measures 25' 3". With the tongue and rear bumper included it becomes 28' 4".
This model used to be designated simply 25RKS, so I think the '3' in 253RKS is a version number, rather than part of the actual length, though they seem to come out that way.
If somebody asks me the length, I simply tell them 25 feet. The amount of room inside is even more impressive when you realize how small the outside is!
Old 11-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #5

We've gotten into the habit of using our overall TT length when talking to anyone. Not sure it that's right or wrong. The number designation of a unit doesn't always coincide closely with the total length or length of box. It just seems to be sorta close..

Actual length can be critical sometimes. We were on a ferry in the summer and our overall truck and trailer length was 3" over 50 feet. We got dinged another $13 for being 3" over their rate schedule. How annoying! So on the way back, I took the spare tire and carrier off and fixed them good, lol. Several months later, the TT is winterized and the spare tire and carrier are sitting under the trailer.

Actual overall length is sometimes needed in a campground since some sites can't take longer trailers.

I think the actual length is a more useful number to keep in your head and it's better for bragging anyway.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #6

My Gulf Breeze is a 29bhs but measures 34'6". Quite a bit of difference in numbers!
smonagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
There is no rhyme or reason anymore... it USED to mean length,
but they ran out of ways to differentiate one 25 footer from another

maybe some use square footage, or inside length or model number or ?!?!
mine says 38 but it's 41'8" so close to your tongue rule
Old 11-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
hi all. lol I loved the "bragging rights". I think I'll prob learn to say, it's 31' of living space.

nope, not just a guy thing. but I know years ago, they named 'em with the full length of the tip to tail.

just a minor thing anyhoos.
tx all
momto6ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:29 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When it comes to boats, they measure from the tip of the bow sprit to the end of the diving platform. My boat is called 38', but is really 32'6".

I PLAN TO LIVE FOREVER. IT'S WORKING SO FAR.
Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
We've gotten into the habit of using our overall TT length when talking to anyone. Not sure it that's right or wrong. The number designation of a unit doesn't always coincide closely with the total length or length of box. It just seems to be sorta close..

Actual length can be critical sometimes. We were on a ferry in the summer and our overall truck and trailer length was 3" over 50 feet. We got dinged another $13 for being 3" over their rate schedule. How annoying! So on the way back, I took the spare tire and carrier off and fixed them good, lol. Several months later, the TT is winterized and the spare tire and carrier are sitting under the trailer.

Actual overall length is sometimes needed in a campground since some sites can't take longer trailers.

I think the actual length is a more useful number to keep in your head and it's better for bragging anyway.
I would agree actual length is a more useful number for getting on Ferries and campsite limitation etc. I used to own a 31 foot trailer but knew that my overall length was 53 feet. I now have a Salem 221FBxl which is 24 feet long.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akibase View Post
When it comes to boats, they measure from the tip of the bow sprit to the end of the diving platform. My boat is called 38', but is really 32'6".
Measuring boats and model numbers ids a complete different beast.

Our boat is a Trophy WA2002. Which means it is a walk around cuddy 20feet 2" long. But it has a 175 hp outboard which sticks out 2 feet which on the trailer is 25 feet long.

Our trailer is a Salem 221FBxl. The trailer is 24 feet long plus I guess the spare beyond that.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #12

Here in Oregon to get registered they need the OAL and you pay by the foot. So it only makes sense that the OAL be used in discussions. When looking for a CG spot you need the OAL to see if it will fit.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #13

All of the many brands of molded fiberglass trailers use total length, not the length of the living space. (Maybe this is because they are all so short?)
Yarcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:22 PM   #14

trailer length

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarcola View Post
All of the many brands of molded fiberglass trailers use total length, not the length of the living space. (Maybe this is because they are all so short?)
Yes in the Molded Fiberglass World all our trailers are hitch to bumper. I have a Bigfoot 25BF21RB it is a total of 21ft. Many of our trailers are 13ft,15ft,17ft,17.5ft,19ft,20ft,21ft,25ft. Recently went to a RV show to look at stick built trailers the lenghts are all out of wack. They measure the box not the total lenght.
Chuck
H-Rambler25 is offline   Reply With Quote