Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2017, 05:01 AM   #1

Let's talk about Jayco

Recently gave my 1994 Prowler to my niece to put on their piece of land. Roof had rotted out and the cost to replace was prohibitive. Bought a 2007 Jayco,Feather Light. The poor quality of construction and finish work was in stark contrast to the old Prowler. The layout except for the tiny bathroom is good. My main concern at the moment is going on the roof to clean and check out air cond.unit. Could I get some comments on walking on roof and any other advice from Jayco owners. Trailer model is 197 - 20ft. Thanks and yes, I have looked at the Jayco video on Utube.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2017, 08:48 AM   #2

Most trailers labelled as "light" don't have walk - on roofs. You'll need a ladder and carefully place some boards across the roof for additional suport.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:04 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcham View Post
Most trailers labelled as "light" don't have walk - on roofs. You'll need a ladder and carefully place some boards across the roof for additional suport.
You will have to check with the manufacturer or dealership to verify if it has a walk on roof. My Tracer is light (6050# GVWR) and both the roof and slide are walk on certified.

If it comes with a built in ladder you are almost certainly going to have a walk on roof.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:58 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Was told along time ago that lightweight tts needed to be treated with kid gloves as most of the lost weight was in structure - including the roof.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:13 AM   #5

I have a 2018 Rockwood Mini-Lite (2104S) and had to get up on the roof yesterday (was the first time getting up there) to fix a broken vent crank as it wouldn't stay shut while traveling. I was cautious for reasons stated in this thread, but to my surprise, I found the my roof is actually quite solid. Granted, I low-crawled by butt to the vent, but I tested the structure out in a number of locations and was impressed. YMMV depending on make/model.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:20 AM   #6

Thanks for advice about roof stability. Will use a piece of plywood to walk on roof. I mainly want to try and clean AC unit and just wash down the roof. What is the general opinion on Jayco trailers ? They have a poor reputation from what I've read but would like to hear from actual owners.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:50 AM   #7

While we are mostly happy with our Jayco Jayflight, we do have a list of things that will need to be fixed over the winter. Most do seem to be poor quality or bad design.

2016 Ford F150
2017 Jayco Jayflight 32TSBH
Old 09-26-2017, 01:51 PM   #8
RPr

I sent the VIN number of our Dutchmen Lite to the manufacturer. They said I would need to lay down plywood sheets to walk on the roof.

If it does not have a ladder attached, that may mean something.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:27 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
My old trailer was not walk on roof. I kept a sheet of 3/4 in plywood in the storage for roof use. It was about 3’x3’ and I would lay it on the roof so it was touching the edge and laying on at least one roof support. Then I would sit on the board and that would gain me access to air conditioner or other roof top amenities. My new trailer has a walk on roof and slide even though it is a ‘light’. I have yet to give it the test.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:10 PM   #10

If I buy a used camper in Texas from an individual, will I have to pay sales tax if I don't take it out of park
Old 09-29-2017, 04:37 AM   #11

If you can't walk on the roofs how can the tecs work up there?
Old 09-29-2017, 07:03 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
You have a flat roof on your 2007 Jayco as I do on my two Aerolite's. I walk on my roof all the time. I scrub it and reseal it 3 times a year. Inspect the caulk like wise. I'm only 160 lbs and do walk carefully.

First thing I hope you did was check all the caulk seams...

Water has funny ways of working its way down the walls to the floor. So inspect all floor areas, and investigate any suspect areas.

At least back then (2007 + -) quality was suspect. From about 2004-2008 there were issues of fiberglass delam on the exterior walls.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:34 PM   #13

My Jayco also has a walk on roof and a ladder on the back. I get a bit nervous when I climb up on it
, not knowing if something will break or crack and allow water in. I have cleaned my roof twice so far this year and when the tech went on the roof to look at some tape coming off he commented on how clean my roof was. I am still careful of where I walk and to make sure I don't trip over anything up there. One question is how do I tell if the caulk around the stuff on the roof needs repair?

This is my first trailer so still new and learning. I went to pick it up from the storage site and found my battery had been stolen. So now I will be disconnecting the battery when I take it to storage.

Tags
jayco