Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #1

Level for tongue jack?

We would like to install a permanent level(s) on the outside of our trailer. Am tired of looking for our little 6" level and moving it around to check level from side to side and fore/aft.

I've seen some electric tongue jacks that have a round bubble level in the top where the access is to the shaft for manual override. Ours is an Ultra Fab jack.

Is there an aftermarket insert for the top of the Ultra Fab that will fit? I've seen other jacks that have this as an original OEM item. I wonder if I could get one from another brand and have it thread on okay? The plug on ours is a soft rubber-ish plug that presses in. I think the others I have seen are threaded in.

Or are these little round bubble levels not that great? I have not found a good spot to stick on a level in the tongue area so have thought of this in-the-jack method instead.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #2

I would put a normal level on the front corner and one on the corner next to it. That way you have a level for front to back and side to side. I personally don't like bubble levels.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:21 PM   #3

If you have an android phone, put in the free app called swiss army knife. It has a level, mirror, ruler, compass, calculator, timer, stop watch, unit converter, and a flashlight, if your phone has flash capabilities.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:40 AM   #4

Those small round bubble levels are not worth it. Way too inaccurate. You will be better off using levels on the corners as explained previously. If you need to access the manual drive for the "lift/lower" you will have to remove the round bubble anyway. Just not worth it.
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #5

I was looking the Hoppy Hitch level yesterday, but besides the fact that it looks cheap and fragile, I can see losing the plastic protective cover for it some day. I also read that someone said that they have a tendency to fog up.

May look at one of the tee shaped levels that can go at the coupler, at CW to see if they look any good.

The round bubble levels are out....
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #6

I put one level on the side , one one the front , and one on the frame by the jack
Works for me
capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
CD

I have a level that I got @ camping world about 10 yrs ago that has been great. When it is mounted on the tounge of the trailer and adjusted properly it will tell you how much blocking you need on the low side and when that is done you just raise or lower the jack to level fore and aft.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #8
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
I was looking the Hoppy Hitch level yesterday, but besides the fact that it looks cheap and fragile, I can see losing the plastic protective cover for it some day. I also read that someone said that they have a tendency to fog up.

May look at one of the tee shaped levels that can go at the coupler, at CW to see if they look any good.

The round bubble levels are out....
I looked at the level I mentioned before and it is a Hoppy. I don't remember having any problem. Western Washington is known for it's wet weather and fogging hasn't been a problem. As I remember it wasn't very expensive.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire Wrat View Post
If you have an android phone, put in the free app called swiss army knife. It has a level, mirror, ruler, compass, calculator, timer, stop watch, unit converter, and a flashlight, if your phone has flash capabilities.
For the iphone you can download the ihandy app.
BassinDmax is offline   Reply With Quote