Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-03-2014, 07:35 AM   #1
Level side to side before or after slide out in place

I have a kodiak 263rsl with a 4x12 driver side slide out. When I was going through walk through they said level side to side before slide out is in place. It seems that I always have some level issues leaning towards slide out. Do I need to compensate for the slide out for leveling side to side.....should I always raise that side even on level ground? I thought that once level and after scissor jacks were down that opening the slide out should not alter side to side level. Any comments would be helpful.

2012 Kodiak 263rlsl
Dlutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
I belive the need to be level is so that you do not cause a jamb or unexpected binding on the slide as you extend it. I generally level my trailer with blocks under wheels and front ti back before extending the slide. Once extended I deploy the stabilizers. Should deploying the slide cause the trailer to become in level it should be only a small measure.

If the trailer comes out of level significantly then you may not have a good surface and I would suggest the ground is unstable.

Robus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:56 AM   #3
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Here is how I do it, right or wrong. Level side to side if needed with blocks under tires, disconnect, level front to back with tongue jack, put down stabilizers, open slide.
2014 Wind River 250RDSW
2014 Ram 2500 Diesel Laramie 4x4, Snugtop shell,
One big spoiled Bernese Mtn Dog
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
I have run into problems putting the stabilizers down before letting the slides out. My trailer has two opposing slides and the stabilizers on one occasion put torque on the frame and caused the slides to drag heavily. I contacted Dutchman and they advised, level, slide then stabilizers.
Robus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:40 PM   #5
If you want the correct way read your manual. Every RV can be different for a variety of reasons. There are probably as many ways to level as RVs on the road.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:59 PM   #6
I do as some others, side to side, unhook, front to back, stabilizers down and then slides. If the ground seems at all soft we will level with the slide side up a little so it is closer to level when the slides are open.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:59 PM   #7
On our last trailer which was a 31' TT with a 3x10' slide I always had to figure about a 1/2' more before letting the slide out. If I didn't level the slide side a little higher then the trailer always seemed to be lower on the slide side after regular leveling. On our 5'er which has a smaller slide I don't worry about it.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:51 AM   #8
Based on my own experience and what I have read here..... My setup will be: level front to back, level side to side ... leaving the slide (4 x 12) side a bit higher, say an inch or so, then run slide out and finally lower the stabilizers. It seems that when I put the stabilizers down before I extend the slide, it causes some unresolved torsion in the TT frame which can be detected by cracking noises when walking on the floor. When I do the setup as laid out above, everything seems to be in harmony.

BTW ... I think it's a shame how little this is even discussed in the so called owners manual I received w the TT when new. Kinda like how there is no mention of what to do when and if there is a malfunction of the slide and we all know that can happen.
raytwntrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:14 PM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
On our Rockwood 2604 I got used to how much out of level it would be once the slide was out, so I'd level it with the left side about 1/4 bubble above level, then when the slide came out I'd be nice and level.
2012 Journey 40U (Our Incredible Journey)
2008 Dodge Dakota
2004 Subaru Baja
D Lindy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:26 PM   #10
Evergreen Owners Club
I have found with this Blackstone 280 with the one large living/dining slide I need to put 1 to 1.5 inches under the wheels on that side in order to be level after the slide is out.

Special ordered 2016 Bay Hill 375RE with 17.5 wheels/G114 Goodyears/Hydraulic disc brakes. 2016 F-350 Lariat Ultimate 6.7 Powerstroke 4X4 CC LB dually Hensley BD3 Air Ride Hitch.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote

slide, slide out