Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2014, 11:17 PM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Levelers for TTs

Looked at a new travel trailer that had a self-leveling system, and no stabilizer feet. Salesman (I know...) said it was one button after disconnect from truck and the trailer levels itself. Anyone have experience with this? Sounds nice for an old grump like myself...

schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2014, 10:42 AM   #2

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Looked at a new travel trailer that had a self-leveling system, and no stabilizer feet. Salesman (I know...) said it was one button after disconnect from truck and the trailer levels itself. Anyone have experience with this? Sounds nice for an old grump like myself...
Most trailers do not have hydraulic systems. Without that electric motor levelers seem to be problematic.

Even with Hydraulic, maintenance is an issue. Why not get a battery powered drill with the right socket.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Most of the newer 5th wheels have automatic LEVELERS. most T/T have screw type STABILIZERS or electric STABILIZERS. Stabilizers and Levelers are not the same thing. Stabilizers were not made to level a trailer. MHO. May be wrong.
Mike

2013 Ram 1500 4X4 Hemi
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:19 PM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
Being on my second travel trailer, I know about stabilizers and the difference. My unit has electric stabilizers, but they don't stabilize well. The Sundance unit I looked at had hydraulic levelers, and no stabilizers at all. Yet... it was by far more stationary than either trailer I have had in the past. Still wondering if anyone has any experience with these. I can do maintenance... not a problem.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:59 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
schrederman. not trying to be a know it all. That piece was for Kiwi. Was it a 322 RES?

2013 Ram 1500 4X4 Hemi
Old 09-15-2014, 06:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Being on my second travel trailer, I know about stabilizers and the difference. My unit has electric stabilizers, but they don't stabilize well. The Sundance unit I looked at had hydraulic levelers, and no stabilizers at all. Yet... it was by far more stationary than either trailer I have had in the past. Still wondering if anyone has any experience with these. I can do maintenance... not a problem.
That piece was for Kiwi. Looks like Heartland Sundance (2014) is 1st one to have hydraulic levelers so not a lot of reviews. Not sure how to level it with the tongue jack down

2013 Ram 1500 4X4 Hemi
Old 09-15-2014, 08:02 PM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
Wasn't trying to be an arse... Maybe it has to be leveled front to back first. It's interesting to me because I'm OLD... and can use all the help I can get.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:06 PM   #8

We are getting Big Foot installed this week on our 5th wheel Toyhauler.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:10 PM   #9

Schrederman what kind of TT was it? I have a 2014 Eagle 338rlts which came with electric stabilizers front and rear. They do an ok job. I just recently installed a Power Twin II leveling/stabilizer just in front of the tandems. Now I can level the unit with a touch of a couple of buttons. It took two days work to install, but I plan on having this unit for many years. I level the unit front to rear with the electric tongue jack then I level it side to side with the power twin and then run the front and rear electric stabilizers down so I have six points to the ground not including the tongue jack. It is rock solid, level, and only takes a few minutes to set up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140910_095318.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	312.5 KB
ID:	74125  
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:17 PM   #10

Jayco Owners Club
If I remember it was a Sundance. They make 5ers primarily but also make a few TT models. Your levelers look like my power front and rear stabilizers, which don't level anything and don't stabilize very well. However with an extra set that are apparently stronger, those look like they probably do a pretty good job. I will upgrade to a larger bunkhouse trailer soon, because of my family's population explosion. Just trying to better educate myself before doing so.

Thanks for the replies...
Old 09-17-2014, 05:56 PM   #11

The Power Twin II are levelers. They are about four times heavier than the electric stabilizers that come on TTs. There are two heavy duty motors one on each side that are controlled independantly. Each side can lift 6,000 lbs so they don't have any problem leveling my 10,000 lbs trailer. If you look close at the picture (previous post) you will see the tires/wheels hanging down a good six inches from where they would normally be in the wheel wells. You can't do that with an electric stabilizer!
Old 09-17-2014, 10:38 PM   #12

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
That piece was for Kiwi. Looks like Heartland Sundance (2014) is 1st one to have hydraulic levelers so not a lot of reviews. Not sure how to level it with the tongue jack down
Yo everyone.... Kiwi cool... I drove an Itasca 36' DP for 6 years. It had hydraulic "levelers". They were even "automatic"

My post still stands....
1) They require a lot of maintenance. Springs get weak and they don't fully retract. This leaves a warning beep on even if they are down 1/2 inch. I cannot tell you the number of times I used a 2x4 that I carried to pry the levelers up.

2) If you use "automatic" you may wind up level, but a foot higher than you would like to be to comfortably enter your coach.

3) Even when manually deployed, there was still some motion. But keeping the dualy wheels on the ground and the emergency brake set helped a lot. Most TT don't have a good chocking system.

4) If you need them repaired or replaced, even if you do the labor yourself, the parts are not cheap.

5) If you do not have a hydraulic system -- mine had one for the slides -- you will need to install a hydraulic pump as part of the system.

Try this... deploy your rear stablizers with the TT slightly low in front. Then raise your front jack to level the coach and put more pressure on the rear stabilizers. Then deploy your front ones.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:32 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwsmith111 View Post
Schrederman what kind of TT was it? I have a 2014 Eagle 338rlts which came with electric stabilizers front and rear. They do an ok job. I just recently installed a Power Twin II leveling/stabilizer just in front of the tandems. Now I can level the unit with a touch of a couple of buttons. It took two days work to install, but I plan on having this unit for many years. I level the unit front to rear with the electric tongue jack then I level it side to side with the power twin and then run the front and rear electric stabilizers down so I have six points to the ground not including the tongue jack. It is rock solid, level, and only takes a few minutes to set up.
I've been trying to find info on the recommended install for the Power Twin II. I'd think you would NOT want one in front and one in back because you could easily cause frame twist. I assume one is meant to be installed near the wheels to level as you have described your installation. Is that the recommended way or just what you ended up doing? I like the idea of a 3rd stabilizer with leveling so I don't have to pull forward and back several times with blocks to get it just right.

Darren
Old 09-19-2014, 04:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmandt View Post
I've been trying to find info on the recommended install for the Power Twin II. I'd think you would NOT want one in front and one in back because you could easily cause frame twist. I assume one is meant to be installed near the wheels to level as you have described your installation. Is that the recommended way or just what you ended up doing? I like the idea of a 3rd stabilizer with leveling so I don't have to pull forward and back several times with blocks to get it just right.

Darren
dagmandt, I ordered the Power Twin II not totally realizing what I was getting into. If I had it to do over again I might not do it because of all the work that needed to be done to my unit. I could have mounted it behind the tandems easier since nothing was interfering, but decided I was only going to do this once so I wanted to do it right which I think I did. Previously I was leveling the TT by using 3 points. I would put a jack stand just in front of the tires on the high side and then level with a long ram jack on the low side and place a jack stand under here and then use the electric tongue jack to level front to rear and then put down the front and rear stabilizers. My idea was to do the same thing with the Power Twin II replacing the jack stands by the tandems. I found the center of gravity front to back by jacking the unit up. I knew the center of gravity had to be in front of the tandems since about 1140 lbs is tongue weight. As it turns out by mounting the Power Twin II to the frame as close as I could to the tandems I was still behind the center of gravity and what I was trying to do should work. After I installed it I was a little nervous that all it would do is lift the front end off the ground, but fortunately it lifted the rear and left the tongue jack touching the ground. Whew! So now my idea of what I wanted to do worked. I also thought about putting one unit in front and one in back replacing the existing stabilizers, but realized that I would still need a stabilizer in the middle so I did it the way I have described. I think some people have installed two units one front one rear. Somewhere I read the procedure where you would level front to back first and then run the high side down just so it put pressure on the ground and then do the same on the low side (i.e. the side needing jacked up the most). Then you would run them up at the same time until you get to the level point. I guess that would work. When it was all said and done I figured that my 39' long TT needed front and rear stabilizers and one in the center to be rock solid and that turned out to be true. I spent a lot of time under my TT figuring this out. Once I assembled the Power Twin II and slid it underneath I found additional issues. Example: I had to move the low point drains, the drain for my front fresh water tank, and modify the steps so they would close all the way since one of the Power Twin motors was going to be in the way. Let me know if you do this install or find someone able to do it as I would like to know how you make out. Do they have recommended installers for this? BTW, there is a 22" version and a 30" version of the Power Twin II. The 22" version actually has more lift weight wise. My TT frame is 21" off the ground so the 22" wouldn't do me any good. The max. lifting power is achieved towards the end of the lift i.e. 6000 lbs. I am going to use mine for a while and see how it does. If necessary I might shortened the legs 1" - 2" to give it more lifting ability.

Tags
levelers