Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #15
Commercial Member

I think okmunky might have overstated the damage done to tires when parked on the "edges" that make up the surface of the Lynx Levelers. Lynx makes a smooth "cap" to place on the top leveler so you avoid the local tread element distortion that can be seen from long term parking on localized non uniform surfaces.
I also think SmokeyWren might have missed the point. Just because he never had a blowout does not mean local tread element distortion may not be an issue any more than the fact that some people have survived the fall from an airplane with no parachute opening mean parachutes are not a good thing.

There will be localized tread element distortion. This distortion may or may not lead to tread chuncking or tearing. I would vote for placing a smooth surface on hte top leveler. Even a 1/4" piece of plywood will distribute the load better than the edges of the Lyunx if you don't want to buy the Lynx cap.
But what do I know? I only worked as a tire design and quality engineer for 40 years.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
I only worked as a tire design and quality engineer for 40 years.
Tireman9...let me ask you a question....I just picked up my new Aerolite trailer a month ago...At the walk-thru the service guy said my tires are filled with nitrogen. So what benefits does filling tires with nitrogen do?

Question #2...If I check my tires before every trip, at which I'm letting out a very small amount nitrogen at each tire, where I'm I going to refill them? In the past I have a small air compressor and was always tweaking the pressure before my trips.

Question #3....this is a good one..After the walk-thru where I assumed with the "prep service" they would have checked the tire pressures. The drive home ( 3 hours) I had some sway issues and I was only able to get 9.5 MPG. I do have a new weight distribution hitch which helped. It was a windy day, so I chalked it up to that.

Well before our first shake down trip, my wife said. "Hey dear the tires look low on this side". I said "shouldn't be I'm sure the dealer checked them". So to make her happy I checked the pressure...Low and behold the 2 on one side were at 40psi and the other side both were at 55psi. %4!@69mn74??? You got to be kidding me...I can't believe it...Now I'm thinking I have to fill the tires before our long weekend trip (April 12-15) So now I'm fill the two that were at 40 with regular air....So I made all the tires 48psi...(50 is max)...Now low and behold the she drove 1000% better, no sway and get this, the MPG. went from 9.5 to 12.4.....Same thing on the return trip, over 12 MPG.

I checked our your tire blog....

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:34 AM   #17

Read about a set of inflatable air bags somewhere online that can be used in lieu of leveling blocks (which can be a pain to back up on without them sliding). Haven't invested in a set of airbags though although the concept sounds solid. Back up over them and inflate each side as needed to level side to side. Front to back can be leveled using the tongue jack.

I will try and find the link and post.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:07 AM   #18
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi Tireman!

Wayne M said you would chime in about the Lynx Levelers, but he didn't tell me about the caps. Easy and cheap, lightweight fix. I just ordered set of 4 for $16 from Amazon.com

Thanks!
okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #19
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey everyone! Go to Tireman9's blog page and read, read, read, read, and then read some more. He has 40 years in the tire business and knows his tires well.

Jim (Superslif), a lot of your questions are answered on his blog page. The link to his blog is in his signature.

Happy trails everyone.

Isn't air 78% nitrogen!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thank you Tireman9 for coming and educating us! It's what I am here for! ( ok, that and just reading about folks experiences...)
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #21
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Tireman9...let me ask you a question....I just picked up my new Aerolite trailer a month ago...At the walk-thru the service guy said my tires are filled with nitrogen. So what benefits does filling tires with nitrogen do?

Question #2...If I check my tires before every trip, at which I'm letting out a very small amount nitrogen at each tire, where I'm I going to refill them? In the past I have a small air compressor and was always tweaking the pressure before my trips.

Question #3....this is a good one..After the walk-thru where I assumed with the "prep service" they would have checked the tire pressures. The drive home ( 3 hours) I had some sway issues and I was only able to get 9.5 MPG. I do have a new weight distribution hitch which helped. It was a windy day, so I chalked it up to that.

Well before our first shake down trip, my wife said. "Hey dear the tires look low on this side". I said "shouldn't be I'm sure the dealer checked them". So to make her happy I checked the pressure...Low and behold the 2 on one side were at 40psi and the other side both were at 55psi. %4!@69mn74??? You got to be kidding me...I can't believe it...Now I'm thinking I have to fill the tires before our long weekend trip (April 12-15) So now I'm fill the two that were at 40 with regular air....So I made all the tires 48psi...(50 is max)...Now low and behold the she drove 1000% better, no sway and get this, the MPG. went from 9.5 to 12.4.....Same thing on the return trip, over 12 MPG.

I checked our your tire blog....
#1 Nitrogen "MAGIC" answered HERE

#2 Comment on why Motorized units should run +5 to 10 psi over the minimum to avoid fiddiling with inflation due to elivation and temperature changes every dar HERE.
IMPORTANT NOTE Towables with multiple axles should run the max pressure molded on their tire, which is almost always the pressure shown on your placard. Multiaxle towables overload their tires by 20% or more sideways when cornering. This is one reason their tires only are good for 3 to 5 years. Increased inflation lowers this side force.

#3 What does the placard on the trailer say? I bet it says 50 psi. If you actually had 40 psi cold you were essentially given a trailer with "flat" tires. Running a tire 20% low is classified as running a tire flat. If the dealer will not replace the tires demand something in writinig that they will stand behind those two tires for at least the next three years.

My question Why did you set your tires to 48 psi?
Old 05-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #22
Commercial Member

Wayne 7 okmunky
Thanks for the mention of my blog. People can subscribe so they get automatic notice when there is a new post.
No I do not get paid when more people sign up. Having more readers makes my life eaasier as I do have a life and the "boss" doesn't like me to spend hours every day writing about tires and answering the same question over and over again. That's why I will many times simply point people to the post that matches their question.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #23

I made my own by using 2x10s. I have been thinking of gettng some plastic leveling blocks, this thread has helped alot...

Thanks
Old 05-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
My question Why did you set your tires to 48 psi?
On my last tt with new replaced tires it said max air pressure 50 psi. I just thought 48 was a safe pressure to be at. My new one I'll bump them up to 50 for next weekends outing.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neicho View Post
OK am i missing something here. Are you guys driving up on these things?? Why not drive on the lot the way it is and put down the leveler jacks and levlers to level it out. Just asking. ??? I was thinking that is the way it was done. I am talking only no more then 4 or 5 inches.
Uh, you might read the directions on your camper but most will tell you not to use the stabilizer jacks for leveling! That is where the leveling blocks come in handy! I like to back in to where I need to be then measure how far out of whack; pull up a bit put the level blocks in place on the side that needs to rise & back on to them. There might be a better way but I just don't know it! Good luck!
Old 05-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchfrkpaul
Uh, you might read the directions on your camper but most will tell you not to use the stabilizer jacks for leveling! That is where the leveling blocks come in handy! I like to back in to where I need to be then measure how far out of whack; pull up a bit put the level blocks in place on the side that needs to rise & back on to them. There might be a better way but I just don't know it! Good luck!
That's how I do it also. Takes a few minutes but it works
Old 05-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #27

I keep a box of 2"x4"x10" blocks in a box. I back in to within 3 ft of my spot and then stop and place the 2x4s side by side (10" side next to 10" side) behind the rear tire of the If I need a second layer, I start the that layer 4" behind the bottom layer
Old 05-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #28

(Typing on an iPad... Sometimes a pain especially when you hit send when you are attempting to edit)[QUOTE="Laker17"]I keep a box of 2"x4"x10" blocks in a box. I back in to within 3 ft of my spot and then stop and place the 2x4s side by side (10" side next to 10" side and abbot 2 ft in total length) behind the rear tire of the trailer. Then just back up... If I need a second layer, I start the that layer 4" behind the bottom layer. Inexpensive and clean.

Tags
leveling