Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #1

Leveling Blocks What do you use.

On my 7th and FINAL TT. Just picked up my 2012 Denali 311BH. I keep it waterfront all summer at a site in Pa. I finally got automatic everything. Man is that nice, auto stabil jacks and front jack. Anyway is there anything else you use for leveling for under the jacks. I thought when i bought this they were all seperate and it is not. I realize MH's have them. Anyway, no problem, I was wondreing if there is anything else to use other then wood blocks to get your proper level?? Might not be thinking outside of the box here.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

They make interlocking plastic leveling blocks about one inch high and 10 inches wide and 10 inches long. Stack up as many as you need, up to about 6" worth. I had two sets in my 5er. Now I need to buy another set or two for my new trailer.

RV Leveling Blocks, 8 pack - Intersource Enterprises D10-227 - Chocks & Levelers - Camping World

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #3

Thanks Smoke,
I will check them out. Used to live in SA when I was 18-24. Loved Texas. What a proud state. Sure could go for a Lone Star. I used to be able to buy then here in Hershey Pa until a few years ago. Yea I know It is junk beer but I felt like a real cowboy when I had me a longneck. Used to get them at the Dixie Chicken in College Station.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I have used Lynx Levelers for years. I have a 10 pack for my tt. The storage case is real nice to pack um up...their just like Lego's.....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #5

I made my own leveling ramps. I used 2x10 treated lumber cut to 5'. My trailer has the wide stance so a solid pc was easier for me. I made some stainless brackets and they store on the back bumper. I will get a pic later.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:11 AM   #6

I use the Lynx Levelers as well. Had a pack of 10, but that wasn't enough for the REALLY uneven campsites, so I got another 10-pack.
SkyPiGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #7

OK am i missing something here. Are you guys driving up on these things?? Why not drive on the lot the way it is and put down the leveler jacks and levlers to level it out. Just asking. ??? I was thinking that is the way it was done. I am talking only no more then 4 or 5 inches.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #8

Folks with travel trailers, pop-ups use some type of block(s) of wood, Lynx Levelers, etc to first level the rig side to side. You just pull your trailer wheels up on the levelers. Once you are level side to side, then you put your stabilizers down. Often trailers, pups only have rear stabilizers, so some folks will use bottle jacks or add on stabilizers on the front of the rv.

I believe some MH's can be "leveled" with the onboard "leveling system" if their rig has that, otherwise, they also level like the towable folks, pieces of wood, the Linx Levelers.

I'm sure others will add some more options that are available.

Just remember "Stabilizers" are just that, they will stabilize your rig once it is level, they are not intended to be used to "level" you rig.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
i use the Lynx Levelers too. they also have a flat top that goes onto the final leveler block so that the block is not causing any undo pressure on the tires. but i use them when moving from one place to another. when staying at a destination for longer periods of time i use the pressure treated 1/2" and 3/4" block I cut myself.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd8bao
I made my own leveling ramps. I used 2x10 treated lumber cut to 5'. My trailer has the wide stance so a solid pc was easier for me. I made some stainless brackets and they store on the back bumper. I will get a pic later.
Here are the brackets I made
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2296812983.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	20545   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1101605620.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	448.7 KB
ID:	20546  

Old 04-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Why not drive on the lot the way it is and put down the leveler jacks and levlers to level it out. Just asking. ??? I was thinking that is the way it was done. I am talking only no more then 4 or 5 inches.
No, you don't want to do that...with a travel trailer or 5ers the stabilizers are only for stabilizing, not lifting the unit off the ground. Very important..... you will twist your frame of your trailer if you try to use your crank up stabilizers to get the wheels off the ground. Once I level my unit with my Lynx Levelers side to side. I will then lower or raise the hitch jack to now make it level front to back. then I will crank down the stabilizers (4) till they touch the ground firmly and then give them another 1/2 or whole crank to snug it up...

The most I have ever needed was 3 layers high (3") on my Lynx Levelers. With a 10 pack that was enough to get the one side of a tandem axled RV trailer up and level. 95% of the time I know what my campsite I reserved is as far as being level....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:22 PM   #12

I learn something here every day. Only had my 5ver since last fall but never knew not to use the stabilizers as levelers and the reasons why.
Thanks!
Old 05-01-2012, 02:05 AM   #13
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have been told that tires that rest on uneven surfaces like the Lxnx levelers will suffer unseen, but significant damage that can lead to blowouts and premature death -- hopefully only of the tires. Lynx Levelers are great to use beneath a piece of 2 x 10 lumber for added height, but not up against the tire surface. Thick plastic, like a cutting board will work also. And if you have dually wheels, you must support the inside tires also.

My brother is fixing me 4 pieces of 2 x 10 pressure treated lumber a tad bit longer than my Lynx and cut at a 45 degree angle on one end. I plan to put some 1/4" screws in the bottom, leaving the heads sticking out 1/2" so that I can stack them on top of the Lynx and not have them slide as I pull up on them.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:24 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I have been told that tires that rest on uneven surfaces like the Lxnx levelers will suffer unseen, but significant damage that can lead to blowouts and premature death --...
Nonsense. Old wives tale or urban myth. If your steel belted trailer tires don't rest easily on the surface of the Lynx levelers or the same thing by other brands, then you have sorry tires. I used them for 12 years with my 5er, and never had any tire problems after I replaced the inadequate stock tires with adequate trailer tires.

I had blowouts with the stock ST205/75R15C tires, but never any problems for the next 11 years after I quickly upgraded to ST225/75R15D trailer tires (and matching wheels). But the blowouts with the stock tires had nothing to do with the leveling blocks. They simply didn't have enough weight capacity for cross-country towing when the trailer was loaded to the GVWR of the trailer.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling