Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-21-2014, 03:46 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 71
Leveling my trailer

I have a leveling question. I was told to use my level on the floor in front of my fridge. After leveling it that way the fridge door swings open. Is it better to open the fridge door 90 degrees, level it that way, then open it 180 degrees and level again?
__________________

__________________
bighamstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2014, 03:59 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 16,211
Leveling the trailer doesn't have to be an exact science. If it's level enough you can move about, sleep without falling out of bed, etc. it's good enough for the RV fridge. If you tweak the trailer so the refrigerator stays shut, and it's still within half a bubble, you're probably good. You might want to check level in floor of the refrigerator compared to floor, counter, etc. just to be sure.
__________________

__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:31 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,275
The best way to level the trailer is to put a 12" level on the inner floor of the freezer and level the trailer. Once it is level in both directions then apply the bubble levels to the outside front and side of the trailer and use those in the future.
The reason for this is that for proper operation the fridge should be as level as possible.
__________________
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:20 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 71
Never thought about freezer floor idea. I don't have the leveling "bubbles" and should do that too. I was thinking I needed a level site to install them, but all I really need is a level trailer (duh). Great help, thanks!
__________________
bighamstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:27 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
SKP Kirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Part-time out of Bass Lake Retirement Community
Posts: 305
I agree with using the freezer the first time and putting on outside bubble levels, but the modern RV refrigerator is not nearly as sensitive as they once were. Most owner's manuals say that within 3 of the refrigerator's front to back and within 6 for side to side will keep it very happy.
__________________
Good Travelin! Kirk
Full-time 11 years, now part-time.
Kirk & Pam's Great Adventure!
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:02 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 16,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
The reason for this is that for proper operation the fridge should be as level as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
I agree with using the freezer the first time and putting on outside bubble levels, but the modern RV refrigerator is not nearly as sensitive as they once were. Most owner's manuals say that within 3 of the refrigerator's front to back and within 6 for side to side will keep it very happy.

Thank you!! The perpetuation of the old 'knowledge' that the absorption refrigerator has to be perfectly level hasn't been true for decades, yet continues to be passed down as 'fact.' A simple reading of the owner's manual usually dispels this myth, but who reads owner's manuals?? As I said in Post #2:

"Leveling the trailer doesn't have to be an exact science. If it's level enough you can move about, sleep without falling out of bed, etc. it's good enough for the RV fridge. If you tweak the trailer so the refrigerator stays shut, and it's still within half a bubble, you're probably good."
__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:57 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
lgarcia's Avatar
 
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 545
We got a $1 level with a magnetic strip on the bottom. It goes on top of the rear bumper for side to side leveling when we back the trailer in to the site. Then, it goes on the top of the tongue to gauge how high or low to raise the front of the TT when uncoupled from the pickup.

Takes little time to get the bubble lined up, and we have never had an issue with the fridge, though this may be because our 14ft trailer is so small to begin with that it is easy-peasy to level.
__________________
-Laura
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH, 2015 Ram1/2 ton Hemi
lgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:17 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Thank you!! The perpetuation of the old 'knowledge' that the absorption refrigerator has to be perfectly level hasn't been true for decades, yet continues to be passed down as 'fact.' A simple reading of the owner's manual usually dispels this myth, but who reads owner's manuals?? As I said in Post #2:

"Leveling the trailer doesn't have to be an exact science. If it's level enough you can move about, sleep without falling out of bed, etc. it's good enough for the RV fridge. If you tweak the trailer so the refrigerator stays shut, and it's still within half a bubble, you're probably good."
Wow that direct hit to the mid section came as quite a surprise. I don't remember saying that the fridge had to be set up perfectly level for it to work and perform for the long term. I merely said how I set up my bubble levels on my trailer. If some one wants to set their trailer up at a 6 degree angle then go for it. You may not be too comfortable walking around but who cares because your fridge won't mind and I guess that's what's important. If you want to level your trailer for comfort then use my method and forget that your fridge is even a consideration. Geez!
__________________
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:42 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 16,211
Saying "The reason for this is that for proper operation the fridge should be as level as possible." is pretty close to, "the fridge had to be set up perfectly level for it to work and perform for the long term." I was more congratulating SKP Kirk for presenting the factual information from a manufacturer that 3 to 6 is close enough for a refrigerator. The myth of absorption reefers needing perfect leveling is way out of date and I try to stop all forms of urban myths when they are sent my way.

The reason to level an RV is to make it comfortable for living in it. Level helps shower pans drain, things fry more evenly, etc. Those should be the primary reason to level it out, not to make your refrigerator operate properly. I have a torpedo level, about $2 at Harbor Freight. I also have apps on my iPad and iPhone that function as levels. Put it on the floor or counter and it works. A previous owner put the stick on levels to the right of the driver's seat for side to side and fore and aft. Problem is, when I'm operating the jacks control panel, you can't see the stick on levels.
__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:45 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
caissiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,312
JI read that some models install the fridge purposely of level from the floor for better operation. The comfort level of the unit has worked for us for 23 years with no refer problems. Right now our unit is a bit sideways and I have no concerns.
The older units needed the 3 and 6 rule.
__________________
Barbara and Laurent, Hartland Big Country 3500RL. 39 ft long and 15500 GVW.
2005 Ford F250 SD, XL F250 4x4, Long Box, 6.0L Diesel, 6 Speed Stick, Hypertech Max Energy for Fuel mileage of 21 MPusG empty, 12.6 MPusG pulling the BC. ScangaugeII for display..
caissiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:49 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Saying "The reason for this is that for proper operation the fridge should be as level as possible." is pretty close to, "the fridge had to be set up perfectly level for it to work and perform for the long term." I was more congratulating SKP Kirk for presenting the factual information from a manufacturer that 3 to 6 is close enough for a refrigerator. The myth of absorption reefers needing perfect leveling is way out of date and I try to stop all forms of urban myths when they are sent my way.

The reason to level an RV is to make it comfortable for living in it. Level helps shower pans drain, things fry more evenly, etc. Those should be the primary reason to level it out, not to make your refrigerator operate properly. I have a torpedo level, about $2 at Harbor Freight. I also have apps on my iPad and iPhone that function as levels. Put it on the floor or counter and it works. A previous owner put the stick on levels to the right of the driver's seat for side to side and fore and aft. Problem is, when I'm operating the jacks control panel, you can't see the stick on levels.
Really like that bold face type! Must be correct if it is in bold face type. Did I say I really like bold face type? I really do like bold face type, it's so condescending. Let's have more bold face type.........
__________________
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:13 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 16,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Really like that bold face type! Must be correct if it is in bold face type. Did I say I really like bold face type? I really do like bold face type, it's so condescending. Let's have more bold face type.........
Glad I could provide you with your own words, in bold face type. How do you feel about underline? Italics? Color can be nice, too. Notice you didn't contribute to the point that leveling isn't critical for the refrigerator.
__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:16 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Island Heights, NJ
Posts: 233
I epoxied a bubble level on the TT frame just aft of the hitch. Co pilot (wife) checks it for left/right level as I back into parking spot. If it is too far out SHE puts blocks out for me to back onto. Then I set front/rear level after I un hitch. It works well and does not have to be precise, just close enough for government work
__________________
Bob
15 Vegas with a red toad
tooltrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:01 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,203
You run the fridge while driving down the road. The roads not level. Just set the trailer up so you're comfortable I it. Get the side to side level then set the front to back how you like it. I've never in all my years ever leveled the fridge. I set the trailer up so I'm comfortable in it. It ain't rocket science.
__________________

__________________
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
leveling



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trailer too much for Ford Escape? (newbie) E_E Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 11 06-19-2014 10:00 PM
Toad, Tow dolly, Car trailer, or enclosed? cptgregger Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 21 04-15-2014 07:50 PM
2002 E450 Trailer Brake Wiring beekeeper.va Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum 0 03-16-2014 08:36 PM
Class A Coach towing a enclosed car trailer palehorse89 Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 2 03-11-2014 10:35 AM
Upgrade Travel Trailer Electrical BassinDmax Boondocking 2 04-23-2013 09:53 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.