Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2014, 10:32 AM   #1

Leveling TT question

We have a new tt. When leveling for the fridge, the level in the fridge (which is what ive been using) is not equal to floor or countertops. Does anyone else see this often? I am assuming I go by the level in the bottom of the fridge and freeze? Its a 2015 Jayco x19H.

thanks
barnaclepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2014, 12:03 PM   #2

Hmmm - not sure.

Is your Fridge in a slide out?

Typically, the "Best Practice" method of leveling a TT is to get a carpenters level and put it on the rear bumper and level the TT side-side with blocks. Once complete, move the level to a front-rear position (lots of folks use the floor just inside the TT door. Level front to rear.

Now that this is complete, is you refer level? (take the carpenter's level and place it along a straight line on the refer to assess)
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:11 PM   #3

This topic is very controversial for some people on this forum. Most refrigerator-freezers do not need to be perfectly level to function properly. The owners manual will give you the degrees fore and aft and sideways that are within limits.
Some people say to make it comfortable to walk in and your good to go. Others say set it up to slant to curb side and that's fine.
I set my TT up this way initially and it works every time. I have only been out about 102 days so far this year so what do I know? Put level on freezer floor. Level trailer side to side. Shift level and level front to back. Now your trailer is level for the fridge, I'm not saying it has to be just that at this point it is. Open up a cold one and then light your stove. When you cook an egg does it stay where you placed it or does it fly out of the pan? You can tweek you level to get the egg to stay put. If you are satisfied then drink the cold one. Now go outside and put a sticky level on the front of the trailer indicating level. Now put a sticky level on the curb side indicating level. You are now good to go. When you arrive at camp block up whatever side is low so the front level shows level, then adjust your front electric jack so your side level shows level. Pretty simple and easy to repeat. No need to get out a level every time to set up. Keep the process simple and accurate, that's the goal.
Hope you have many great adventures with your new TT!
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
This topic is very controversial for some people on this forum. Most refrigerator-freezers do not need to be perfectly level to function properly. The owners manual will give you the degrees fore and aft and sideways that are within limits.
Some people say to make it comfortable to walk in and your good to go. Others say set it up to slant to curb side and that's fine.
I set my TT up this way initially and it works every time. I have only been out about 102 days so far this year so what do I know? Put level on freezer floor. Level trailer side to side. Shift level and level front to back. Now your trailer is level for the fridge, I'm not saying it has to be just that at this point it is. Open up a cold one and then light your stove. When you cook an egg does it stay where you placed it or does it fly out of the pan? You can tweek you level to get the egg to stay put. If you are satisfied then drink the cold one. Now go outside and put a sticky level on the front of the trailer indicating level. Now put a sticky level on the curb side indicating level. You are now good to go. When you arrive at camp block up whatever side is low so the front level shows level, then adjust your front electric jack so your side level shows level. Pretty simple and easy to repeat. No need to get out a level every time to set up. Keep the process simple and accurate, that's the goal.
Hope you have many great adventures with your new TT!

That's the first thing I did when I got my TT. Placed a small level in the freezer and a 6' on the floor to verify fridge level to camper level and then leveled it up and placed the sticky levels outside!
No fuss, no muss!
FHExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:22 AM   #5

If your fridge is too far out of level when the rest of the trailer is level then you have issues. I've never leveled my trailers using the fridge. Just use a 2' level on either the floor or counter top. Once you're level like you want then stick some small RV levels on the outside of the trailer. It's not rocket science.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:40 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I was anal about it when I started too, but 3 to 4 degrees either way is fine...
I too put two levels on the drivers side of the rv's that had to be manually leveled.
both by the corner with the rv jack controls...

drive in and look in the mirror to see how much the side to side level says you have to move...
set that,
unhook and level front to back !

the fridge is a lot less sensitive to tilt than the bed, if I'm downhill or rolling off,
or if a door swings on it's own, then I bother with re-leveling !
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:33 AM   #7

Camco makes a version of this that you can adapt to a TT...best thing since sliced bread - you can level the camper from the driver's seat!

Oh, and while you are at it, these babies beat the pants off of the Lego leveling blocks! (Anderson Levelers)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KingPin Level.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	73443   Click image for larger version

Name:	Andersen Leveler.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	73445  

BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Camco makes a version of this that you can adapt to a TT...best thing since sliced bread - you can level the camper from the driver's seat!

Oh, and while you are at it, these babies beat the pants off of the Lego leveling blocks! (Anderson Levelers)
I haven't tried the Anderson levelers but will soon. Thanks for the reminder!
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:48 PM   #9

Thanks everyone.
barnaclepete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling