Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #1

Leveling with slide out - in or out

WHen you get on the pad to level 831 RKSS. 31'
If you level with the slide in , once you level and put slide out , does it change ?
We only had it out once ?

It would be hard to get to the wheels to level that side ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #2

I always level with the slides in. Most of the time I don't have to make any adjustments.

TT 2012 Couger HC 321RES with Equal-i-zer Hitch
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:57 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have put them out when leveled and when not leveled.

We have been doing this for 7 years various ways and can't see that it makes any difference.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Level the trailer side to side, then unhook and level front to rear. Now the slides go out. About the only manufacturer in the market that says slides out and then level is Monaco motorhomes.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Miniature Schnauzer, one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #5

Putting the slide out when the coach is level puts a little less strain on the slide motors & gears. If I'm on something other than payment I re-level the coach after the slides are out.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #6

We level first, then the slide goes out.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #7

My manual says level first then slides out. Never have seen any difference in the level. Makes sense to level first as the other post said since it should plac less strain on the slide motors.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #8

Our last TT was a 32' Sunline, with a 14' slide. If I had the TT level with the slide in, it would be a bit off-level when the slide was out. I started leveling with the slide side a tad high and it would come to level, when we put the slide out.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #9

we level the 5er side to side and then front to rear. With our super slide it does get slightly off level but not too much.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:42 PM   #10

My instructions say to level first.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #11

I level with the slide in, stabilize the slide side, extend the slide, then stabilize the other side. Extending the slide without pre-stabilizong does tilt the unit a barely perceptible amount.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopPop51 View Post
I level with the slide in, stabilize the slide side, extend the slide, then stabilize the other side. Extending the slide without pre-stabilizong does tilt the unit a barely perceptible amount.
I do the same. Extending the slide without pre-stabilizing will tilt my trailer by about one bubble on the level.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #13

On a Motor Home regardless of class, if putting the slide out on one side causes a significant tilt before leveling I would suggest having a mechanic check your shocks. A few other things that will indicate a bad shock(s) is some uneven wear on front tires or a strange feel to the steering at highway speeds when a bump is encountered. I live in Mexico and we are not noted for the high quality of roads. My mechanic noticed it first that my right front shock is worn. So it is time to change them. The large slide goes out the left so I didn't notice. The bedroom slide is in the back so I didn't notice that either. I usually level before putting out the slides because that is what the book says to do. I have not seen any change to the leveling after the slides go out. That could be a problem with a seal in the hydraulic lift. They are fairly easy to repair and should not require mortgaging DW. It is a good idea to clean them every once in a while to keep the dust and grime that collcts while extended. Spraying them with WD40 to clean them and then wash them off with water and coating with a light silicone based like Spray Slick 50 will keep them clean and slow down seal wear.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibarnes View Post
On a Motor Home regardless of class, if putting the slide out on one side causes a significant tilt before leveling I would suggest having a mechanic check your shocks. A few other things that will indicate a bad shock(s) is some uneven wear on front tires or a strange feel to the steering at highway speeds when a bump is encountered. I live in Mexico and we are not noted for the high quality of roads. My mechanic noticed it first that my right front shock is worn. So it is time to change them. The large slide goes out the left so I didn't notice. The bedroom slide is in the back so I didn't notice that either. I usually level before putting out the slides because that is what the book says to do. I have not seen any change to the leveling after the slides go out. That could be a problem with a seal in the hydraulic lift. They are fairly easy to repair and should not require mortgaging DW. It is a good idea to clean them every once in a while to keep the dust and grime that collcts while extended. Spraying them with WD40 to clean them and then wash them off with water and coating with a light silicone based like Spray Slick 50 will keep them clean and slow down seal wear.
Shocks have nothing to do with supporting a vehicle. The rest of your statement is true.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote