Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #1

LF TT shopping advice

So I thought we had it all figured out, which model we wanted, where we were going to get it from and when we were going to camp with it lol.

This will be our first new travel trailer purchase, as our past ones have been used purchases from relatives who upgraded.

We were looking to go with a 2012 Jayco 267bhs and while it didn't have alot of the "extras" we were originally looking for, it did have stacked double bunks. Which we figured would be great, as a lot of the top bunks we had seen where very small. The problem is, this place in the only Jayco dealer without 1.5 hours from here. They were unwilling to budge on their "sale price" at all; wanting 20k and some change out the door. I even offered 18k out the door even though I felt it was a bit high (maybe I am wrong that is what I am looking for as well)

I was a little hesistant to go the Jayco route, but it seems a clear majority of people think Jayco is the "best quality" it seems in the range we are looking. With 2 adults 2 kids and 4 paws we don't want to have to upgrade after a few years, and would like to hold on to the trailer for the length of the loan, if not longer.

It seems that maybe KZ Spree might fit our needs; although the nearest KZ dealer is about 1hr+ away, and we would be going up another 2 feet. Maybe trailers seem to lack the stacked double bunk option.

There are two Forest River dealers within 15 minutes from us, but again they lack the stacked double bunks We have also heard that the Forest River quality isn't great, and longevity is an issue. We do like the cherokee series as the 2013's have king size beds inside, and some bells and whistles.

There are also a model from CrossRoads - Cruiser series and I know nothing of their quality. As well as possibly one of the Sunset models. So if someone could speak to the quality of these.

Thank you for any help you can give

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #2

Have you looked at the Prime Time RV line? Very good quality and exceptional customer service. They are under the Forrest River umbrella, but only for financial backing. They do their own thing and on par with the Jayco quality.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
Jayco quality and customer service has slipped considerably over the past two years.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorot8 View Post
Have you looked at the Prime Time RV line? Very good quality and exceptional customer service. They are under the Forrest River umbrella, but only for financial backing. They do their own thing and on par with the Jayco quality.
We have looked into them a little. The bathrooms on the 26 and 28bh's look small from the floor plan of the Avenger model. So we have kinda put them on the back burner. Ideally I think we want to be in the 26/27ft range. The other models would require us to go to a 29ft trailer, and I don't think we are willing to go that big. It is something to think about as well though, so thank you.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
Jayco quality and customer service has slipped considerably over the past two years.
Well that makes me feel better about walking away
Old 04-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #6

Also curious about the quality of the PrimeTime Avenger what models would you compare it to?
Old 04-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
Sales is a game with dealers. They are trained to make your purchase a big emotional deal. Once you've walked out on a dealer, the game becomes... a standoff... Whichever one calls the other back, first, loses... I waited 3 months once for a Honda dealer to call me back, but I goy MY deal... Stick to your guns.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #8

Sales isn't a game for all dealers.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I have no qualms about driving a few hundred miles to get my new RV. Towing it home would be a good shakedown cruise.

I found what I wanted at a price I was willing to pay up in the middle of Ohio. Just as I was about to head cross country to buy the trailer, I noticed a local dealer 20 miles down the road had that exact RV in stock. So I took the price from Ohio to that dealer and told him I'd buy the RV from him if he'd match the price. He did. So that saved me a bunch of driving.

Here's your trailer at your price in Louisana. So maybe print that screen and give it to your local dealer. If he won't match the price, then crank up and hit the road.
2012 - Jayco - Jay Flight Swift - 267BHS - Travel Trailer - Lacombe - LA - Details
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
I can't argue if this is true or not. I have a JayFlight and I have been very happy. Friends with Forrest Rivers seem to have more issues than I think should be tolerated, and certainly more than I.

That said, the model you are looking at is a JayFlight Swift if I am not mistaken. The Swift seems to be targeted at a lower price point than the JayFlight and may not be built to the exact same standard with the same materials. Just my oppinion.

Also, IMO I wouldn't get to hung up on the Double over Double...do you really expect 2 people sleeping in the upper bunk? If so who is going to be sleeping on it, kids or adults. If adults they had better be small, the one I saw in person have the same 300lb rating as the single. I think a single adult would be fine in twin upper...this is still camping, right?

It might suite you to really take a look at the Jayflight 28BHS...same basic floor plan but single over double if I am not mistaken.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
Maybe not really a game... but certainly a competition. He's there to get as much of your money as he can, and you're there to get as much trailer as you can and pay as little as possible... Let the games begin...
Old 04-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
I have no qualms about driving a few hundred miles to get my new RV. Towing it home would be a good shakedown cruise.

I found what I wanted at a price I was willing to pay up in the middle of Ohio. Just as I was about to head cross country to buy the trailer, I noticed a local dealer 20 miles down the road had that exact RV in stock. So I took the price from Ohio to that dealer and told him I'd buy the RV from him if he'd match the price. He did. So that saved me a bunch of driving.

Here's your trailer at your price in Louisana. So maybe print that screen and give it to your local dealer. If he won't match the price, then crank up and hit the road.
2012 - Jayco - Jay Flight Swift - 267BHS - Travel Trailer - Lacombe - LA - Details
Thank you for your insight, we did decide to buy it, and hopefully we received a good deal, we ended up somewhere around 19,000 after taxes. That is the biggest thing I dislike about buying cars/rvs/etc you never know what is a "good buy" or if you got ripped off. The Forest River dealer near me stopped carrying new TT's because of a storm that came through last year and they couldn't afford the insurance. I took that as a good sign I was better off buying from the Jayco dealer
Old 04-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clubhouse View Post
I can't argue if this is true or not. I have a JayFlight and I have been very happy. Friends with Forrest Rivers seem to have more issues than I think should be tolerated, and certainly more than I.

That said, the model you are looking at is a JayFlight Swift if I am not mistaken. The Swift seems to be targeted at a lower price point than the JayFlight and may not be built to the exact same standard with the same materials. Just my oppinion.

Also, IMO I wouldn't get to hung up on the Double over Double...do you really expect 2 people sleeping in the upper bunk? If so who is going to be sleeping on it, kids or adults. If adults they had better be small, the one I saw in person have the same 300lb rating as the single. I think a single adult would be fine in twin upper...this is still camping, right?

It might suite you to really take a look at the Jayflight 28BHS...same basic floor plan but single over double if I am not mistaken.
The biggest reason we went with the double over double is my kids have a tendency to fall out of the smaller bunks, so this was a little insurance, as well as if they have any friends come with them as they get a little older we would have the space for them to share. Not to mention the dog will probably hog the bottom bunk So if the kids want/need to sleep together on the top they can. I have a feeling we are going to have a fight over the top bunk between our 7 and 3 year old anyways lol.

I do worry about buying the swift as its more of an "entry model" trailer from what I can tell; it definitely doesn't have all the tv's and bells and whistles some of the other ones do. Especially the Forest River Gray Wolf's. My thought on that is we can always add the stuff later, and I have a spare 32inch that we've taken with us anyways.

We went out to where we normally camp for 2+weeks every year, and our assigned lot didn't seem like it would fit a 28+ foot trailer. So we stuck with the 26. Otherwise I think some of the 28fters would have fit us. We are stuck on this lot until another one opens (who knows when this will be) as our family members hold the other lots.

We did find out that the ForestRiver dealer is also an Rvoutfitters "dealer" I am not exactly sure what all that means for us, but I am hoping they might be able to add some of the "extras" we want. power leveling jacks, and a screened in awning (if I can find one that works with power awnings)
Old 04-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Maybe not really a game... but certainly a competition. He's there to get as much of your money as he can, and you're there to get as much trailer as you can and pay as little as possible... Let the games begin...
Oh I agree lol. I tried to live by the "as long as you feel like you aren't being ripped off" motto. Although somehow I always feel like I am being ripped off.