RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2018, 10:49 AM   #1

Lifeline RV Battery - Will it work?

Hey all,

We have a '13 Keystone Cougar High Country TT.
Battery is shot and needs to be replaced. I'm interested in a no-maintenance and considering a LifeLine AGM RV battery.

What I don't know is if my trailer will charge this type battery. Anyone know?

Also, anyone have experience or recommendations on Lifeline or another no-maintenance battery?

Side note: There is so much knowledge here. Two of my local dealers are totally clueless on this topic. Didn't even know what an AGM battery was. Ugh!

Thanks team!

tniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2018, 11:05 AM   #2

Charging info from your converter's manual should cover the types of batteries that can be used .
If you don't have the manual , add the manufacturer and model of the converter ( inverter/converter?) to your post , and maybe we can get the info you need.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:12 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have installed AGM batteries into 3 of my vehicles and they have no special setting for them to be charged. Unless the literature for your charge/converter says otherwise I can't see why not. Before you buy an AGM ask the battery dealer what they say about it.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:19 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I have had great results with Lifeline batteries. They are generally considered to be the best lead-acid batteries that you can get. As for charging, you need to get the charging specs and settings options on your charger, and compare them to the charge settings detailed here.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:19 AM   #5

AGM batteries can handle higher voltage charging, but if your converter is only set (or has no setting) for flooded lead acid, it will charge them just fine.
geordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:04 PM   #6

Scam alert!

I often will pay more for something if it is a higher quality.

However, batteries are batteries. It is a chemistry thing. Dangerous things like batteries are all built to high standards.

Is a 6v golf battery from Costco or Sam's club a better value than a battery that cost 3 times more for the same capacity, of course!

It you look at marketing BS for more expensive batteries and the claims are a little vague.

Both have the same guarantee.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:25 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
Scam alert!

However, batteries are batteries. It is a chemistry thing. Dangerous things like batteries are all built to high standards.

Is a 6v golf battery from Costco or Sam's club a better value than a battery that cost 3 times more for the same capacity, of course!

It you look at marketing BS for more expensive batteries and the claims are a little vague.

What's the scam? Care to enlighten us? AGM batteries are not a brand if that's what you're getting at.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:15 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Scam alert!

This is information formed of the opinion that all things that are lead acid batteries precisely equal. That is not necessarily true.

Is the battery you can buy at Walmart the same as you can buy from an Interstate Battery dealer or with the Lifeline brand on it? Chemistry wise, yes. Lead acid batteries all work exactly the same from the standpoint of chemistry.

The difference is quality of the individual components, the quality control of manufacturing, and warranty/service after the sale.

I have Interstate Battery GC-2 batteries. They are great, mainly because of the service after the sale. I had to return one, and called the dealer where I bought it. I was in Washington and the dealer was in Oregon. He drove to me, swapped out the batteries, shook my hand and thanked me for my business, and took the bad one away.

Try to get that service from Sam's Club.

Where will I buy batteries when I have to replace these? Don't know, maybe Costco, just to save s buck and get a medium quality battery with decent customer service. Probably not Walmart. I'd buy from NAPA if there wasn't a Costco handy because of their network of stores. If I could get a good deal if but from Interstate again. I travel for work, so where will I be when I need something?

Would I pay $200 for a battery? That would depend on s number of factors, but it would use the same chemistry as the one I could get from Costco for about half the money. I'd expect much more for $200 though, like significantly larger capacity, excellent dealer network, excellent warranty, etc.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Scam alert!

AGM batteries are completely differently built and vastly superior to flooded lead acid.

They are maintenance free, vent free, can be mounted in any position, and typically have higher voltage under load, and are able to handle higher discharge and charging currents.

In Short: You don't know what your talking about.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz View Post
AGM batteries are completely differently built and vastly superior to flooded lead acid.

They are maintenance free, vent free, can be mounted in any position, and typically have higher voltage under load, and are able to handle higher discharge and charging currents.

In Short: You don't know what your talking about.
Do an actual side by side comparison of flooded and AGM batteries before you acuse others.

Try Trojan, they market both.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Do an actual side by side comparison of flooded and AGM batteries before you acuse others.

Try Trojan, they market both.
I have, and I have also raced electric vehicles, using of course AGMs.
I run $65 GC2 flooded acid from Costco in my RV, as I had other expenses to attend to at the time.

AGM's are vastly superior in every way to Flooded Acid, there is simply no contest. They are also quite a bit more expensive. so i guess they lose $/ah.
But to say there is no difference? Hogwash.

HUGE difference in performance, especially at partial charge under heavy load - say microwaving on inverter.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:17 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just bought 4 8D Lifeline batteries, 160#'s+ each giving me 1020 amp hrs at the 20 amp rate. Expensive? Very at $685 each, worth it? Guess time will tell. Hopefully I'll never have to replace them in my RV'ing lifetime. I have room for 2 more if I need the capacity.
My inverter has a setting for AGM's but Lifeline take a slightly different setting but I don't think I can enter a custom profile.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:53 AM   #13

While the "chemistry" of a lead acid battery might be the same on paper as an AGM or lifeline battery, there is a massive difference in the quality of materials and the performance levels.

Lifeline batteries and similar units that are used for municipal backup (phone centers and cellphone towers use these) have a purity of lead that would make you think they are made from gold instead.

Flooded batteries have low surface area of the plates to the acid, BUT the quality there is in the lead purity and the thickness of the plates and the resistance to contaminant growth on the plates. AGM eliminates that and the maintenance needs by having the acid in a fiberglass mat (Absorbed glass mat) that maintains the structure better under load and heavy charging, and also increases the overall surface area of the lead to acid contact because it isn't just a flat plate hanging there in the grid. More surface area equals more reactivity equals more capacity. The mat controls the reaction so the battery can handle higher temperature loading which happens when higher charge rates are used.

Now about the sources for batteries...

I use Costco GC2 batteries too, and last time I checked, they are made by Interstate and supplied to Costco. So there shouldn't be a difference between the GC2 from a dealer versus from Costco, although I think if you got them for $65 each... Please tell me where! In Florida, they were $80 each when I got mine and I need to get 4 more to replace the engine batteries and I'm going to combine the two arrays so my solar system (1kw array) can charge the 8 batteries together. Right now at a 50% discharge rate, I have about 220 amp-hours to utilize, I'd like to increase that. If I could afford AGM I'd get about 30% more capacity, or around 300% more capacity if I could fill the bay with lithium ion... But that would cost more than the coach!

Flooded lead acid GC2 batteries aren't super-energy-dense, but they offer a decent $/amp value compared to the other options. There's a reason that forklifts and heavy backup power users still use flooded lead acid. The batteries (the lead inside) are infinitely recyclable, and the technology is proven if not sexy.
geordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:10 AM   #14

Lifeline RV Battery - Will it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tniles View Post
Hey all,

We have a '13 Keystone Cougar High Country TT.
Battery is shot and needs to be replaced. I'm interested in a no-maintenance and considering a LifeLine AGM RV battery.

What I don't know is if my trailer will charge this type battery. Anyone know?

Also, anyone have experience or recommendations on Lifeline or another no-maintenance battery?

Side note: There is so much knowledge here. Two of my local dealers are totally clueless on this topic. Didn't even know what an AGM battery was. Ugh!

Thanks team!

Thanks everyone for your great responses. I had no intention of this becoming a "thing". I ordered the LifeLine and we'll give it a go.

Thanks again!
Tim

tniles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery