Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2014, 04:16 PM   #1

Light bulbs

I have a light bulb in the TT that is dead. These bulbs seems a little different than what we are used to with our previous rig. I have attached two pics to show what they are. After talking to a couple folks at Home Depot I could only find a replacement bulb that is 12v at 18 watts. $4.97 each. I would rather have LED bulbs but there are none for out fixture. However, I was at Walmart and came across a bulb that looks the same but are labeled as 12v outdoor lights and only put out 4 watts. Two for $2.97 Can I use them?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	340.7 KB
ID:	64591  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2014, 04:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsky View Post
I have a light bulb in the TT that is dead. These bulbs seems a little different than what we are used to with our previous rig. I have attached two pics to show what they are. After talking to a couple folks at Home Depot I could only find a replacement bulb that is 12v at 18 watts. $4.97 each. I would rather have LED bulbs but there are none for out fixture. However, I was at Walmart and came across a bulb that looks the same but are labeled as 12v outdoor lights and only put out 4 watts. Two for $2.97 Can I use them?
Thanks.
Ramsky
You can use them but you won't get much light!
For 12V incandescents go to a auto parts store.
For LEDs search online.
Mel

Old 06-04-2014, 04:53 PM   #3

Here's the basic bulb mine and a lot of other TT use, many Led are available ,but a lot are not as bright.
Amazon.com: Arcon 16794 Replacement Bulb #921, (Box of 10): Automotive

Jim
Old 06-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
If you want to replace with LED lights, the important things to look for is socket type, color, and lumens. Incandescent bulbs are actually very 'warm' colored, at about 2500-3200 Kelvin. Many LEDs are more in the range of 6000 K, which look very blue toned and harsh. Look up your original incandescent bulbs to find their light output in Lumens. When shopping for LEDs, try to come close to that same output of the originals.
Once you find LEDs that fit the requirements, you'll have to see if they'll fit the space in the fixture. Good luck, don't spend a bunch of money on bulbs until you've tried them in the dark.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:46 AM   #5

Thanks folks-

I will keep researching the LED's.

Trying the 4 watt bulb in the dark tonight to see how low (sad) it may be.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:54 PM   #6

Light bulbs

They are 921's. our camper had them as well. I replaced them all with LED and what a difference. Below is the link from EBay of the seller I purchased them from. I had e-mailed him and got a better price on 30 bulbs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180938954530...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 06-05-2014, 06:14 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ramsky,

Not sure exactly what bulb you have, tough to identify it exactly in the photo, but I believe it has the wedge base. I've just replaced all the wall fixtures and bathroom vanity fixtures with these bulbs and they work great. They are a 2700 k temp light so similar to the incandescent. I like the fact I won't have to replace them often (maybe never?) and they put off no heat. A bit pricey but worth it to me in the long run.

194 LED Bulb - 15 SMD LED Wedge Base Tower | Wedge Bulbs | Specialty & Automotive | Universal LED Bulb Finder | Super Bright LEDs

Great service from these folks as well.

Scott
SWag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:15 PM   #8

You should check these out. M4 products is highly regarded for RV LED retrofit applications.

Here are but two examples from their website. These are the warm white versions which will give off a light most similar to your original incandescent bulbs.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1402010070.809313.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	64691

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1402010100.219855.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	64692
Old 06-05-2014, 07:11 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
THat is a standard "Wedge Base" lamp. you will find it in the AUTO department at Wal-Mart, I think without looking (Will look before I hit post) it's a 921 is one such lamp. When I shopped for them for a friend (And for myself) we found several the same size and shape but different wattage, they hang on the hooks more or less side by side at O'Riley's auto parts and most other auto parts stores or departments.

I found LED replacements on line at several places.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:39 AM   #10

Well, I tested out the 4 watt bulb when it got dark last night and it is, of course, not as bright as what's in there now. But after only one minute I could tell there is a huge difference in the heat between the 4 watt and what's in there. I don't know how many watts in there so....been doing a lot of reading online and wow, there is a LOT out there! Ha, our last rig used a total of 42 bulbs (ofc, we never used all at the same time) but those fixture could not use LED which was a bummer. I'm thrilled this rig we can switch to LED with the current fixtures....and it's only about 10 total. Whew....going check the outside lights today.

Thanks all.
Ramsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:13 AM   #11

I have replaced every 12 volt light in our fiver with LEDs--no way to get around the expense, but shopping online can help--and what a difference in light and battery staying power!
My wife happens to be ok with the 5000-6000k look, so thats what we have. Even replaced the fluorescent bulbs and 1 LED puts out the light of 4 fluorescent bulbs.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:19 AM   #12

Just an FYI on LED bulbs : they are polarity sensitive - if you put them in a fixture and they don't light up, flip them 180 and retry them. So far I have replaced 12 or so of my lights and I like the difference!
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:33 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Some are polarity-sensitive, some are not. After all, they are diodes. Point is, if you get one that does not light up, flip it around.

On our [prior] TT we discovered that it was pretty easy to modify the light fixture to accept whatever kind of LED "bulb" base that you want. There are loads of options, colors, temperatures, and price-points. OTOH, some LED "bulbs" are actually hard-wired strips (already mentioned) and do not require a base modification at all. Easy-peasy swap out to get something that you are really going to like! \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:56 PM   #14

Try M4LEDs web site they specialize in RV comparable lights they are coming out with marker LEDs. Very happy with all my LEDs