Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #15
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
SO I am probably ok if it weighs less than 10,000 lbs? The passenger tires were on it when I bought it.
I wouldn't but just me.
What are the tires rated for, what is the trailer GVWR and what are the GAWRs on the trailer?

jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2013, 04:51 AM   #16
Im just going to pull them off in the spring I don't trust them. Going to get some actual trailer tires.

93 Jayco RK 325
07 Chevy classic crew cab long box LBZ Duramax
Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #17
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
If an LT (say XPS Ribs) were to blow, couldn't they cause more damage being all steel?
Not saying they will, just if. I used XPS ribs on my truck and liked them.
I had a flat on the rear of my truck with 5th wheel on. Therefore the tire was loaded. All it did for a quarter mile is scored the side wall.
I believe that an LT tire will not destroy the trailer as much as a ST tire will.
While using ST tires I carried a roll of sheet metal and tools for repaires for every time I had a flat the tire ruined the area. No ST tire lasted over 2 years.

LT tires for me saved my unit and was able to drive after dark. And my LT tires were overloaded by 20% while over inflated by 10psi.

So to me the results are clear LT tires were safer and better for 7 years and still look great. My ST spare was never used for 7 years.

I was on I81 today and running at 65mph and every trailer that past me had ST tires on. Why do standards are fooling owners. Why are tires rated at 65mph in this modern age. They are not tested properly and manufacturing companies can provide us with garbage tires that serves no good but trouble.

I am trough saying it but its a shame that there is this propaganda around to stop us from buying trailers in favour of MH. You would never see garbage tires allowed on a MH.

Most ST tires will do on utility trailers but LTs have been used by pros for years. Long before 16in LR E STs were available.

Barbara and Laurent, Hartland Big Country 3500RL. 39 ft long and 15500 GVW.
2005 Ford F250 SD, XL F250 4x4, Long Box, 6.0L Diesel, 6 Speed Stick, Hypertech Max Energy for Fuel mileage of 21 MPusG empty, 12.6 MPusG pulling the BC. ScangaugeII for display..
caissiel is offline   Reply With Quote