Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
Nor'easters Club
Light weight trailers

Hi there everybody,
I have a 2014 Equinox with what I believe is a 1500 lb tow capacity anyone have any idea on a decent camper that I can tow? I need something for 2 people and the Better half says it needs to have a bathroom. I have looked at a lot of them online but one company calls theirs light weight and it weighs 2500 lbs!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank to all the reply.

CNYRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2014, 07:45 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I think you'll find your car is just not meant for towing. My Subaru Forester is rated for twice that amount! A 1500 lb capacity would probably be a small pop-up type trailer. A thing you need to consider is the carrying capacity of your car. It's weight rating probably only allows for one 150 lb driver. Add another person, cooler, the typical gear people haul along, and you'll eaten into the total of what your auto could tow. I seriously suggest you look at the smallest trailer that meets you and your wife's requirements, then look for a tow vehicle that can handle that trailer.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:46 PM   #3
Ford Super Duty Owner
Trying to enter and satisfy a special market for small, light weight, travel trailers comes with it inherent problems. To meet these criteria the units will use light weight materials, fewer amenities than what one might be willing to do without, thinner frames that will flex and bounce even while walking lightly, and a host of other issues.

There's certainly nothing wrong with trying to find a unit that meets your needs but they will be difficult to find. I'm thinking of the units referred to as Tear Drop trailers. They are very small but will not have a bathroom. Adding even a bathroom adds a lot of weight. You need a fresh water tank. Two waste tanks, one for gray and one for black (sewer). You'll need a pump and water lines as well as the space for the commode, and sink. Usually a furnace is needed to heat the TT to keep the water lines from freezing.

We started with a tent then moved up to a pop-up. Some of those units will have at least a commode but it may be a chemical one and not a flush unit. Most of the pop-ups have some water storage but not much.

I realize this may not be what you want to hear but when you add amenities you add weight. Good luck with the search.

TeJay (Tim) Auto Instructor 35 yrs (4-yrs USAF) Liz: RN/ WBGO 2014 Vista 30T/ F-53/ CHF/5-Star/Koni/Centramatics * Bella- Golden/Cocker mix & Louie-The cat / All Retired
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
I rented 4 cylinder Equinox. It's a well made crossover. Body and chassis are good for 3500lb or more and this is the rating of 6 cylinder version. However 4 cylinders are hardly able to move the SUV itself. I doubt you can fulfill your objectives in terms of living space
Gene//////'16 Passport 2670 BH
'11 Mercedes ML 350 gas, Reinforced OEM hitch receiver,1000 lb Eaz-Lift with custom welded head, 2 sway control bars, P2, tst 507 trailer TPMS
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:15 PM   #5
2500lbs IS light weight.

Any more info about the Equinox you have?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:20 AM   #6
Nor'easters Club
Re: light weight trailers

Hi everybody,
Thanks to everyone that replied but I kind of had a feeling there was going to be a challenge locating something that we could tow and make us happy. It looks like Im going to be getting a second vehicle with a higher tow rating.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:04 AM   #7
Here are a few thoughts. With the cars and the car based SUVs weight isn't the only worry its the surface area of the thing you tow. Ford and Dodge, and I expect GM publish a Towing guide. Its a PDF document and it will be year specific. For example google "2010 FORD towing guide" and you'll get a docuemnt with the information you need like surface area , weight, gear ratios etc. This is nice becuase you can print the document out for the years your interested in and when looking at used/new cars/trucks you look at the posted sticker on the b piller of the driver's side and it will tell you some of the stuff you need to know to find that vehicle on the guide. if you have access the the VIN you can also have the dealer look up the stuff you need to know like was the vehicle build with tow package etc. On the RAM web page you can enter the VIN and find that stuff out. So other manufactures might have that too.

I use my camper as both a rolling hotel (so we don't have to use nasty motels) and for relaxing in the remote areas. If you take to campling, inevitably you'll want more, either in the camper or the tow vehicle. A budget is a great way to manage your passions.

I pulled a popup with a mini van and would get 19 MPG, then I moved to a hybred TT and MPG was 8. Weight increase was maybe 3000lbs. It was the surface area that made the big difference. Any pop-up with a bathroom will be in the hybred weight area, the pop-up just dosn't have the surface area problem. For me the biggeset down side of the pop-up was limited storage space and setup, and not able to do the walmart parking lot camping (with out looking like I'm kin to honey boo-boo).
Jugghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:29 PM   #8
Originally Posted by Jugghead View Post
For me the biggeset down side of the pop-up was limited storage space and setup, and not able to do the walmart parking lot camping (with out looking like I'm kin to honey boo-boo).

my day was made with this winner!

kenn_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:17 AM   #9
Nor'easters Club
Light trailer update

Hi there everyone,
Well after doing some research and talking for you guys here I've decided that I'm gonna have to do a renovation project. So now I'm on the hunt for some thing smaller like and old Shasta, Scotty or Coachman that I can completely or partially gut. A lot of them are under 1000lbs. this way I can set it up & put in what I want like a small chemical toilet for the Mrs!!!.

Thanks to everyone that responded and if anyone knows the location of a smaller camper like I mentioned around my area in Upstate NY please drop me let me know.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:28 AM   #10
You might look into one of those small egg shaped fiberglass TT's?

My sister just went the route of fixing up an old ham can shaped 14' TT. She wanted an old "classic". When complete, it wasn't cheap, but they enjoy it! Took them forever to find something affordable that was worth fixing up.

1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote