Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #1

Lighting Oven ???

Hello All
Another lamo question from a newbie with a old used TT. I light the burners just fine with a match/lighter, but how to you lite the oven. The knob has lite pilot and then the temp settings.

Thanks Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8680.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	578.3 KB
ID:	51953  
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #2

Had to tell for sure but this video looks like a good place to start to see how you do it:
gobbleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:51 PM   #3

It sounds silly typing this, but here goes;
The oven pilot is lit through the bottom door. You've got to get on your hands and knees and use a flashlight to see the pilot light. Locate the pilot light, Hold the oven adjustment knob in firmly, then use a handheld propane torch/lighter to light the pilot flame, continue holding the oven adjustment knob in for about 1 minute, which should give the flame time to generate the tiny electrical current required to open the gas valve. Release the oven knob while observing the pilot flame. If it continues to burn, all is well and you may adjust oven temperature and bake your goodies. If the flame goes out you must repeat the process and hold the oven knob in for 2 minutes, then the flame should remain lit.
Every time you desire to use the oven it is time-saving to light a stovetop burner first, this is to insure a flow of propane to the unit and purge any air in the piping. Otherwise it can get frustrating trying to light the oven pilot flame.
I hope this makes sense, putting thoughts into written word is often difficult. I've done that procedure for so many years I don't even think of the process.

gobbleguy's linked video may be easier to follow, he posted while I was typing.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
The oven pilot is lit through the bottom door. You've got to get on your hands and knees and use a flashlight to see the pilot light. Locate the pilot light, Hold the oven adjustment knob in firmly, then use a handheld propane torch/lighter to light the pilot flame, continue holding the oven adjustment knob in for about 1 minute, which should give the flame time to generate the tiny electrical current required to open the gas valve. Release the oven knob while observing the pilot flame. If it continues to burn, all is well and you may adjust oven temperature and bake your goodies. If the flame goes out you must repeat the process and hold the oven knob in for 2 minutes, then the flame should remain lit.
Every time you desire to use the oven it is time-saving to light a stovetop burner first, this is to insure a flow of propane to the unit and purge any air in the piping. Otherwise it can get frustrating trying to light the oven pilot flame.
I hope this makes sense, putting thoughts into written word is often difficult. I've done that procedure for so many years I don't even think of the process.

Sounded good to me. Well written.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:08 PM   #5

oven lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCrew View Post
Sounded good to me. Well written.
It was explained just like I learned to light our oven.
Chuck
H-Rambler25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
The instructions to light my oven are under the cover for the burners. Found the instructions when I lifted cover for burners to clean them.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #7

Quote:
That's only half of the answer; and it took us 10+ years to learn how to do it the easy way.

For sure, as Ray mentions; lighting the stovetop to purge the lines is a useful exercise. But to increase ease of lighting, don't merely place the oven in pilot mode, but while holding the knob in, crank up the oven knob to 350 degrees or so. The extra flow of gas from this exercise will provide almost instantaneous lighting.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:34 AM   #8

Quote:

Excellent explanation. That video was lame other than showing where the pilot is. Just another pointer, if you are camping several days, and want the pilot to stay lit, once you have finished using the oven, just turn the temp knob back to pilot, but not off, or you will have to do the entire lighting process again for the next use.
BigBill3111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:57 AM   #9

Many Thanks Guys, will try it today !

Jim
Old 12-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I keep reading about "Purging air" in a closed, pressurized Propane system.. I have a question WHAT AIR, how did it get in there? (and do not even TRY to answer that)

Turn knob to Pilot
Get down on knees with one of those long nosed lighters (Candle or fireplace lighters)

Actrivate lighter and locate pilot put flame under it.

press knob (Thermostat knob) in, (or whatever instruction it has on it) it should move about a quarter inch.

Pilot should light shortly after (may take a few seconds)

You may shut off lighter now

Hold knob one full minute.

Should remain lit when you remove hand

Turn to desired temp

Main burner should light.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #11
def

Send a message via Yahoo to def
I have seen some ovens go boom when lighting them after a long rest.

Be careful out there...propane does explode easily. It might be wise to wear face protection...welders do!
Old 12-14-2013, 10:02 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I keep reading about "Purging air" in a closed, pressurized Propane system.. I have a question WHAT AIR, how did it get in there? (and do not even TRY to answer that)
Easy answer.

When you replace a propane tank, you allow air into the disconnected line. If you leave the line disconnected for a spell, a lot of propane will leak out of the open line. When you connect the filled propane tank, you trap air in the gas line.

Every time you replace one or both propane bottles, the simple fix is to light the stovetop burners and let them burn for a few minutes. That will allow any trapped air in the gas lines to escape while causing the fire in the stovetop burner to sputter. So then the water heater and furnace as well as the oven will be easy to fire up.

Newer RVs have automatic pilot lights that don't need to be lit. Even my 2000 Keystone Sprinter has those. But the water heater will just click and click and click without lighting if there is air in the gas lines.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #13

Lighting Oven

The process has been explained correctly however I do not suggest turning the oven up to 350 while trying to light the pilot as this will allow extra propane gas into the area and you could loose your eyebrows and possibly some hair in the process. Holding the knob in for a minute after the pilot lights allows the pilot to heat up a thermocouple which allows the gas valve to open when the control is turned higher calling for more heat. The pilot will stay on when oven is shut off and ready for the next use.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #14

Well, the pilot light lite just fine, but the main burner will not, i waited for another 45 min. or so with the pilot on and raised the temp to 350, the pilot lite got a little brighter, but the main burner never lite, What's up ?????

Thanks Jim