Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2016, 09:01 PM   #1

Lights flickering off every once and a while

I've got an 86 kit road Ranger that I just bought. I have it hooked up on an extention cord in my backyard for the time being with the batteries hooked up. Everything seems to be in order but every now and then all the lights will flicker of for a second. The ac runs fine without interruption and I find it weird that the lights are the ones loosing power. There is a hum coming from the converter under the sink and it ticks evertime the lights go out. Is this a sign for a bad converter or am I just not getting enough power from the house, or something else entirely? I'm new to the trailer world so any input would be appreciated!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2016, 11:06 PM   #2

Since all lights are 12V, check your house battery bank. Specific gravity test for each cell will determine actual state of battery. Clean all battery cable ends and battery posts, fill cells with distilled/de-ionized water after gravity tests completed. This will help: The 12V side of life
Use a Voltmeter to check if your battery bank is actually being charged, if you obtain a reading over 13VDC they are being charged.
I too suspect your converter/charger if your battery bank tests good per that website.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:52 PM   #3

Thanks for the input, I will check on that when I get back! And thank you for your service First Sgt.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:19 PM   #4
ODH

I would check your 12v ground. If the ground is intermittent it will effect both your lights and your converter/charger.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODH View Post
I would check your 12v ground. If the ground is intermittent it will effect both your lights and your converter/charger.
I agree....check where the ground wire is attached to your frame. Remove it, get out some sandpaper, and clean, clean, clean.
Reattach and hopefully you'll be good to go.
Maybe some type of spray after you clean it to keep a good contact??
thetravelkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODH View Post
Important item. Over 90% of all 12V problems are caused by a poor ground.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights