Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2013, 05:13 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
lightweight travel trailer

I have a 2004 F150 ford 4wheel drive with the 4.6 v-8, and thinking of a travel trailer in the 27-30 foot length (used one) the tow rating on my truck calls for 6500 -7000 lbs. Would like some suggestions on lightweight trailers in this length if there are any that I could toe with this truck. thanks

tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2013, 07:34 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
tow rating on my truck calls for 6500 -7000 lbs.
don't forget that this includes how much weight you add to your truck. People, pets, junk in back. I have a 20 foot trailer that GVW is 4600 actual weight empty is 2600 ( tanks empty, no added contents inside) tow with 1500 dodge rated at 7500 # I do not exceed 5000# GVW (cal.)of the truck.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #3

You should find out what the actual payload capacity is by weighing your truck and subtracting that from the GVWR. "Towing capacity" is not the only thing to look at. You might want to check your truck GCWR figure which is the total scale weight of truck + trailer. If you weigh your truck, you will know what the max. weight of trailer you can pull is.

Don't use the payload capacity on your door jamb sticker. This does not include options added and only includes a 150 lb driver and full tank of gas. Also, do not use the dry weight of a trailer or dry tongue weight. They are always higher and sometimes a lot higher. Don't expect 4WD, long box, extended/crew cab, and other factory options to be included in the sticker capacity. Our actual payload capacity is 1,000 lbs less than on the sticker...

I doubt you will be able to tow close to a 30' trailer even if an ultra light. Our 29' ultra light has a tongue weight of just under 1,000 lbs and would be difficult for many 1/2 ton trucks to tow even without passengers, pets, groceries and cargo in the truck. Towing near the max. capacities can be a handful and tiring. Our old F150, towing a 20' trailer, was 500 lbs under the max. tow cap. and was seriously under-powered on hills and difficult to handle and maintain speed when very windy and gusty (and I don't mean sway).

Also, if you have an older truck, pushing it to near it's maximums will be hard on the truck and you may end up with some expensive things to fix and maybe even while you are a long ways from home while camping. BTDT....

If I can offer one suggestion, if your shocks are older, install a new set of heavy duty ones. We installed Bilsteins on our old 2000 F150 and it made a HUGE difference in handling. Even around town without the trailer.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
thank you both for the advise. My ford book calls for 12000 lbs. total GVWR, my truck has from factory towing package, with heavier springs, and of course the optional larger fuel tank (38 gal) this is a supercab short bed. so I have looked at a used Fleetwood Terry 250fq, has no slideout (I don't want nor need a slideout) the dry weight says 4200 lbs, 660 hitch weight. my truck has been weighed at scales with full tank, 2 people nothing in truck bed, was 5476 lbs., assuming the trailer dry weight is correct of 4200 lbs, , then that would leave 2300 lbs for loading the trailer with propane, and just a few gallons of water in the water tank, (I only camp 2-5 days at a time, local camping, so hook up to CG water) there are only wife and I so not a lot of clothes and other supplies. Does these weights sound reasonable and would be safe traveling? thanks for any feed back
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifemember View Post
don't forget that this includes how much weight you add to your truck. People, pets, junk in back. I have a 20 foot trailer that GVW is 4600 actual weight empty is 2600 ( tanks empty, no added contents inside) tow with 1500 dodge rated at 7500 # I do not exceed 5000# GVW (cal.)of the truck.
I may be wet on this one but do you usually tow your TT with full tanks? .....seems like a lot of extra weight to be towing ....unless you absolutely have to! 2000 lbs according to your numbers.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #6

Remember, too, that where you tow is important. A 4.6 is less than 300 cubic inches and will not have an abundance of torque to pull hills or mountain passes. The chassis may be willing, but the smaller V-8 might not be.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The deal killer is the little 4.6L engine. First load up the family with the kids, pets and any normal cargo in the truck. Now finds some scales and get the actual laden curb weight of the truck.

On the drivers door jamb, you will find the GVWR and the ales GAWR.
In the owners manual you should find the trucks GCWR for your cab/engine/axle combination.

GCWR - loaded truck = max LOADED trailer weight you can tow within manufacturers ratings.

GVWR - loaded truck = max loaded trailer hitch or tongue weight.

For the trailer, figure the hitch weight to be about 12% of the trailer GVWR.

Forget trailer dry weights as well. Dry weight does not include any item listed as an option...awnings, microwave, TV, etc, propane, batteries and/or you camping supplies and hitch. So typically, your dry trailer will weigh 750 to 10000# over the dry weight in the brochure.

Generally on a 1/2 ton (even with the "towing" package, you will exceed the GVWR of the truck before you reach the trucks GCWR.

So practically, you need to be looking at something closer to 25' for your truck.

Ken

Tags
travel