Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2018, 06:22 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
If you really look into BB’s they are not to exceed 14.4, don’t need or want any float at all. Best to leave them alone until they get down a ways like 40% and then pull them back up to 13.8v or so. That’s better than 90%. Never leave them sitting at full charge. What the brochures say is not really the best way to treat these baby’s, it is drop in marketing hype.
14.4 bulk charge and 13.6 float is what they recommend. From their website: https://battlebornbatteries.com/buy-...po4-batteries/
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2018, 04:46 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah banjo View Post
14.4 bulk charge and 13.6 float is what they recommend. From their website: https://battlebornbatteries.com/buy-...po4-batteries/

I said MARKETING HYPE, to increase the drop in attraction of the product. NO FLOAT is best, look up the basic chemistry of these cells. If you call them and press them in this, as I did, they will confirm. What you CAN do and what you should do are different. Either way, you probably won’t know for along time, so go ahead.

Just like progressive’s LI charger which produces a constant voltage of 14.4 with NO float. Just great. I believe they are trying to change it now.

What would be best for long term, is charge to 13.8 or 14.4 and shut off until down to 20% SOC and then recharge. When someone makes a charger that does this, then I will buy it.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:35 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Lithium batteries

Is anyone using GBS lithium battery? If so, how do you like them? How many AH’s do you have?

C&SL
Old 12-03-2018, 08:05 PM   #32

Odd man out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah banjo View Post
Appreciate any insights from your own experience.
My insights are not with TT LiPo's. They are with radio control aircraft. We have been using them for years. They are not as dangerous now as they were when we first started.
1) If you watched the video posted earlier, you saw the battery bulge first. This is a sign to remove it to a safe outdoor place immediately. So put them where you can see them. Keep the tools to extract a suspect cell handy. Don't even think about continuing to use it. It probably will continue to work for quite a while. continuing could cost you your TT or worse your life. In early batteries a bulged battery could easily catch fire hours later. One electric automobile burst in to an uncontrollable fire more than a week after a collision.
2) LiPo's charge fast using constant current, not constant voltage. So if your manufacturer in recommending a constant voltage, then the battery must have some way of limiting the current. Maybe your converter's maximum current is the limiting device. Be careful what you use to charge the LiPo. Some systems are probably not compatible. Use the battery manufacture's recommendations and don't assume substitutions are acceptable without checking with the mfg.
3) Winter storage should be in a discharged state. However, you don't want any individual cell to drop to zero or below volts. That will severely damage the cell. So disconnect them. I don't know if your battery will self discharge. Mine do not. Don't leave them on float charge in freezing temperatures.
The Mars rovers required enough solar to keep the batteries warm through the winter or they would die. The same is true for most spacecraft. Plutonium reactors are the exception. Do you want one of those?

Pay close attention to what the manufactures specify. Read or ask. Don't assume your experience with lead/acid batteries has anything to do with LiPo's.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:30 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&SL View Post
Is anyone using GBS lithium battery? If so, how do you like them? How many AH’s do you have?

C&SL
Going on 31months + using GBS 500ah & 1,280w solar fulltime living off of them. Haven't had any issues with our daily use of 125-175ah. Going 30-45 days at times with psoc of 25%-80% depending on solar still using microwave, coffeemaker, everyday items.
PT 100 controller set @ 14.1 Bulk_ 14.2 absorb (10 minute event, minimum setting)_ 13.6 float.
System hasn't been turned off since day 1 of install.
No complaints
Itinerant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:59 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinerant1 View Post
Going on 31months + using GBS 500ah & 1,280w solar fulltime living off of them. Haven't had any issues with our daily use of 125-175ah. Going 30-45 days at times with psoc of 25%-80% depending on solar still using microwave, coffeemaker, everyday items.
PT 100 controller set @ 14.1 Bulk_ 14.2 absorb (10 minute event, minimum setting)_ 13.6 float.
System hasn't been turned off since day 1 of install.
No complaints

Thanks I’m looking at going with GBS battery. Did you install them yourself?
C&SL
05Sig.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:13 PM   #35

No, I had Starlight Solar in Yuma, AZ install the entire system.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:52 PM   #36

Red face My bad

After reading many posts dissing my post I realize some of my understanding must be wrong. I have used the age old technique for curing my ignorance, reading a book.

Here I will try to correct my previous errors

1) If you watched the video posted earlier, you saw the battery bulge first. This is a sign to remove it to a safe outdoor place immediately. So put them where you can see them. Keep the tools to extract a suspect cell handy. Don't even think about continuing to use it. It probably will continue to work for quite a while. continuing could cost you your TT or worse your life. In early batteries a bulged battery could easily catch fire hours later. One electric automobile burst in to an uncontrollable fire more than a week after a collision.

LiFePo4 lithium batteries being sold as 12 volt lead acid drop in replacements 's are a significantly different chemistry. They can smoke, melt, and burn, but not like most other lithium chemistries.

2) LiPo's charge fast using constant current, not constant voltage. So if your manufacturer in recommending a constant voltage, then the battery must have some way of limiting the current. Maybe your converter's maximum current is the limiting device. Be careful what you use to charge the LiPo. Some systems are probably not compatible. Use the battery manufacture's recommendations and don't assume substitutions are acceptable without checking with the mfg.

Lithium batteries charge vary much like lead acid batteries. There is a specified current limit for the bulk phase. Lower limits allow the battery to last longer. The next phase is a decreasing current. A maximum voltage limit takes over just like a lead acid charge profile. For Battle Born batteries it is 14.4 volts. This voltage is necessary for full charge. That voltage continues until current drops to a small percentage usually rated as a percentage of the battery capacity like 0.5% of capacity. At this time the best practice is to stop charging all together. The end stage practice is widely disputed by experts, but leaving a voltage supplied appears to work ok.

3) Winter storage should be in a discharged state. However, you don't want any individual cell to drop to zero or below volts. That will severely damage the cell. So disconnect them. I don't know if your battery will self discharge. Mine do not. Don't leave them on float charge in freezing temperatures.
The Mars rovers required enough solar to keep the batteries warm through the winter or they would die. The same is true for most spacecraft. Plutonium reactors are the exception. Do you want one of those?

Certainly for storage, the battery should be disconnected. Storage between 20 and 80% SOC provides longer life.

Pay close attention to what the manufactures specify. Read or ask. Don't assume your experience with lead/acid batteries has anything to do with LiPo's

LiPo's are similar to lead acid batteries in many ways but better.

Old 11-09-2019, 01:55 PM   #37

Sources:

Battery University

https://batteryuniversity.com/
How does the Lead Acid Battery Work? https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/lead_based_batteries
Summary Table of Lead-based Batteries https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/bu_214_summary_table_of_lead_based_batteries
Charging lead acid batteries https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_the_lead_acid_battery
GEL https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/bu_201b_gel_lead_acid_battery
AGM https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/absorbent_glass_mat_agm
Charging with Solar, Turbine https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_with_solar_and_turbine
How to Charge and When to Charge? https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_charge_when_to_charge_table
How to Store Batteries https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_store_batteries
Summary of Do’s and Don’ts https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/do_and_dont_battery_table
What is a Deep Cycle Battery?
https://marinehowto.com/what-is-a-deep-cycle-battery/
How to Charge Li-ion with a Parasitic Load
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_charge_li_ion_with_a_parasitic_load
Confusion with Voltages
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/confusion_with_voltages
How to Measure State-of-charge
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_measure_state_of_charge
Recognizing Battery Capacity as the Missing Link
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/recognizing_battery_capacity_as_the_missing_link
What everyone should know about Battery Chargers
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/what_everyone_should_know_about_battery_chargers

There is vastly more on the Battery University Website.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:31 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinerant1 View Post
Going on 31months + using GBS 500ah ...
No complaints
I went to the Starlight Solar web site. I did not see any warranty info for GBS or other brands.

BTW: Great thread everyone.
Pappion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:34 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappion View Post
I went to the Starlight Solar web site. I did not see any warranty info for GBS or other brands.
BTW: Great thread everyone.
Not that it matters much but a person has to search further to be a little more informed, getting spoon feed can lead a person down the wrong path at times.

From manufacturers; The devil is in the details, these are just part of the warranty sections.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:47 AM   #40

I commented a year ago on this thread but since it is still around I will do an update.
Still very happy with my four 100 amp-hour BattleBornBatteries. I made changes this summer to keep my wife happier. She didn't like me running the generator to run the air conditioner when camping near lots of astronomers using tents. I upgraded my rooftop solar from 805 watts to 1405 watts. I replaced the rooftop Coleman-Mach 3 13.5 unit with a more efficient Mach 1 PowerSaver unit rated at 11 Kbtu. This two changes allow us to run the air conditioner all afternoon in full sun without needing a generator.

I now use a 20 x 14 foot Alluminet shade fabric on the south facing driver side of the trailer. It keeps a lot of solar gain away from our fridge and trailer sidewall. We can enjoy our awning facing north for maximum shade. We only do this when camping for several nights at astronomy events that are at lower altitude without any shade on site.

We don't need air conditioning after the sun goes down in the arid Great Basin at 5000+ feet of altitude. Even on the hottest summer days I only need air conditioning from about 11AM to 6PM. The solar and batteries can easily handle the smaller air conditioner.

I have no reason to plug my trailer in to power at a hookup site except to save on a little propane by running the fridge and water heater on electric. We use the microwave, toaster, air conditioner, TV and computers off grid just like we are on campground power. We have only plugged in for 3 nights total in 35+ nights of camping.

The rapid solar charging and ability to deliver large DC current to my inverter without issues is why we love our LiFePO4 batteries.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:17 AM   #41

@astrocamper "I now use a 20 x 14 foot Alluminet shade fabric on the south facing driver side of the trailer. It keeps a lot of solar gain away from our fridge and trailer sidewall. We can enjoy our awning facing north for maximum shade. We only do this when camping for several nights at astronomy events that are at lower altitude without any shade on site."

Do you have any pictures with this setup or how it's attached? I would be really interested and sounds like an excellent idea. Thanks
Old 11-12-2019, 12:03 PM   #42

I don't think if have a picture of it setup.

I have 3 inch high stainless steel solar panel brackets that hold up several solar panels near the edge of the roof line. I put in eyebolts on each of the brackets nearest the edge on the drivers side. I installed a vinyl clad steel cable that uses the eyebolts and is about 2 inches above the edge of the drivers side of the roof.

I bought these items on Amazon:

Be Cool Solutions - 70% Reflective Aluminet Shade Cloth (14' x 20')

It has grommeted edge. I use bungee balls to secure the cloth to the cable.

SE 6" Black Bungee Stretch Cords with Balls (100 Count)

I use 2 foot long cords to secure the lower edge to stakes along the length of the shade cloth. The wind can blow through the fabric so it doesn't act like a sail. I keep some of my gear that I want in the shade under this area.

Tags
batteries, lithium