Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2017, 08:39 PM   #1

Load Distribution Hitch

Purchase trailer trailer last February and with it load distribution hitch. TV is a 2015 Ran 2500, and Trailer Jayco 28BHKS. I've never towed with LD hitch before but I am stunned by the amount of creaking and popping this thing makes, additionally on two occasions the left bar has come right out of trailer attachment. Is all of this normal, or is there a problem with set up? Click image for larger version

Name:	PHOTO_20170820_121218.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	173739
FTWLino is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2017, 08:47 PM   #2

Some creaking may be normal, but popping an arm out is not. Find the manual for your hitch on the manufacturer's web site and set it up per their instructions.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:29 AM   #3

I have the same hitch. Move the bracket forward according to instructions. That will keep it inside the bracket. I lube mine with jb80 pretty quiet. It might lower the antisway a bit but sway is not a problem on ours anyway.
Olsen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:20 AM   #4

Grease the ball. Some noise there. But mostly to keep it from wearing away the ball and coupler.
leeshearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:26 AM   #5

Load Distribution Hitch

I have the same hitch and you do get some noise from the bars. The bars should not come out of the brackets. Like was said you need to make sure the brackets are not too far back. One thing I found on mine was on the head were the bars attach,the part that swivels,the paint had worn and got stuck between the head and the part that moves. This made It very stiff to move. I disassembled it and cleaned the paint out now it moves smoother.
happyvibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:51 AM   #6

Thanks for tips! I gotta admit was trying to use excuse of noise as reason to buy a 5th wheel. Lol
FTWLino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:32 AM   #7

I've got the Equal-i-zer hitch that works the same way. Yes, it creaks and moans when making turns at low speed. The first time I was pulling into a gas station and made a sharp turn, I thought I was going to have to call the insurance company. Once you realize it's normal, you relax....... a little. The hitch pulls great and the creaking and moaning is just the nature of the beast.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:10 PM   #8

I have the same hitch and the only time mine pops out is when making very sharp turns. Surprisingly, it's the inner one that usually pops out on the tight turns.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:42 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Mine never pop out. I think your brackets are too far back on the trailer tongue. As far as the creaking goes. I would rather have noise than get grease all over everything in my storage bay.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:16 PM   #10

Ditto on the brackets on the A frame, move them forward.

I don't know what brand hitch that is, but the Equalizer is very similar, a 4 point sway WD hitch. They will make noise, especially at low speed turns. Equalizer sells a plastic pad that sits on the L brackets that helps a lot, you'd have to check the maker of yours and see if they do as well.
MagnaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:45 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
I also have the same hitch and there is noise, but I have never had the arm pull out. Something I never thought about. I really like how my Husky works.
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote