Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2015, 03:10 PM   #1

Load level/sway control hitch

This has probably been addressed before but can not find anything related. Going from a 5ver/F350 to a bumper pull/F150. The trailer will probably be a Wolf Pup 16 FQ, GVWR 3803, dry hitch weight 303 lbs. Not worried about the leveling (air lift on the truck) but the sway. Had a "sway control" friction type on my car trailer, lets say could never get it set right. My main question is that being the trailer is single axle would a Equal-I-zer or Reese dual cam hitch be a helpful if their was a "blow out" ? Or is their any other type of sway control system. Always carry 2 spares!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2015, 04:49 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanj View Post
This has probably been addressed before but can not find anything related. Going from a 5ver/F350 to a bumper pull/F150. The trailer will probably be a Wolf Pup 16 FQ, GVWR 3803, dry hitch weight 303 lbs. Not worried about the leveling (air lift on the truck) but the sway. Had a "sway control" friction type on my car trailer, lets say could never get it set right. My main question is that being the trailer is single axle would a Equal-I-zer or Reese dual cam hitch be a helpful if their was a "blow out" ? Or is their any other type of sway control system. Always carry 2 spares!

With that small trailer, I would think that if you have the proper amount of tongue weight (approx 15% of the trailer's total "actual" travel weight), you shouldn't have to worry about sway. However, it always pays to be prepared. They do make small WD units for that size of trailer and probably a single (in spite of what you mentioned above) friction sway control should be more than sufficient.

Also be away that using air bags on the truck does not replace the weight removed from the front tires when the tongue weight is put on the rear. So, you might still experience some light steering characteristics with just using air bags. It will however, get your head lights back down to where they need to be.

Good luck

Ron

lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:55 AM   #3

An Anderson hitch might be good in this application.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:32 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If it were me, I'd get a used WD/sway control hitch with a capacity of 500 or 600 pounds. New you'll spend around $500 for a pretty good WD/sway control hitch. I have an Equal-I-Zer hitch that makes a little noise for street corner type turns, but is otherwise great, and the truck rides nearly perfectly level.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:51 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If I was getting a new hitch to replace my 13 year old Draw-Tite I think I would like the Blue-ox sway pro. My old hitch still works and I have no sway with the old friction sway and round bar, even at 70+ MPH.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:02 AM   #6

Equal-I-zer all the way. Towed our toy box for 10 yrs with one. The initial tow with a car inside, found it hadn't been set up for the weight right (done by dealer). Had the trailer going side to side so far all the tires, wheels, wheel well liners, spring hangers had to be replaced. But the Equal-I-zer kept it upright and didn't pull the truck over. Made a believer out of us. Fortunately once it was set up right, we never got into that situation again.

Got good service from the manufacturer too. Had a crack develop in the hitch after about 8 yrs. I sent photos to Equal-I-zer, they sent the replacement parts. System is now 13.5 yrs old and still used by my kids.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraura View Post
An Anderson hitch might be good in this application.
Best purchase I made for our travels. Trailer is a Coachmen Cascade 25RKS and the ride is much much better, control is no problem. BTW spelling is Andersen.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:34 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Sway Control

I'd go with Blue Ox. Their customer service and warranty are beyond reproach!
Old 11-06-2015, 07:52 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
What he ^^^^^ said.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:23 PM   #10

I have the Equal-I-Zer and I pull a 6,800 pound travel trailer with my F150. I've got 3,000 miles of towing it this year and never had an issue. Heard excellent reviews on the Blue Ox as well. Hope that helps.

2012 F150 EB FX4 Super Crew | 2011 Keystone Outback 250RS
Arizona
Old 11-08-2015, 11:18 PM   #11

The first thing that attracted me to the Equal-I-Zer is the ease of putting it together. The idea of having to tension the chains of most traditional weight distribution hitches was a major concern to me.

You might want to consider ease of use in your evaluation. It sounds like there are other good systems out there.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:10 AM   #12

I also have the Equal-I-Zer hitch for a 7000 lb trailer pulled by a RAM 2500. Has been rock solid for me, no sway and truck holds well. Only draw-back is the noise at low speeds and sharp turns. The kids at other camp site cover their ears when I arrive.
Chem E 1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:30 PM   #13

I have the Sway Pro and it is a huge improvement over my old round bar hitch with the friction sway controller. Hooking up is super easy with the system they use to secure the chains. Only takes a minute or so. The geometry of the hitch helps stop sway before it every really gets started. the friction hitches can only dampen sway after it gets started. Seriously though, with that small of a trailer, you may not really need a fancy hitch. My son had a pretty large pop up and it was solid as a rock behind his E350 Van.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:25 AM   #14

Thank you for all the replies! Guess I am down to Equal I Zer 90-00-0400 or Andersen. Like the simplicity of the EQ but not the "noise" associated with tight turns etc. Andersen seems to be a little more complicated to dis-engage but without the noise. I am trying to make towing a pleasurable experience or should I say 'not white knuckled or puckered'.