Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #1

Smile Looking at a 07' Jayco Jay Feather Exp 213, any comments?

Hello,

I'm looking to purchase our first RV to take my wife and girls out in this summer. I've found a 07' Jayco Jay Feather Exp 213 which I think will meet our needs. Anything I should look for when I get ahold of the seller?

Thank you...

-Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #2

Look for water intrusion! I work in the insurance industry handling RV claims and the hardest thing for me to tell someone is the damage is not covered due to improper maintenance!

Old 02-24-2012, 12:21 AM   #3

Thank you! Any good advice on financing about $5k of the price of a used TT for about 5 years? Trusting I'd pay it off way early.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:46 AM   #4
GPW

Chief , check the roof ...carefully... you Don’t want their paper thin TPO roof which punctures and scratches at a touch , check the floor .. under the floor covering ... I have a 2007 Jayco FS and they used some horrible OSB for the floor , soaks up and retains water like a sponge ,quickly turning to mush ... Check under the windows too, as Jayco saw fit to use some “dry fit” windows , which leak after a couple years , causing de-lamination underneath ... Since it’s long out of warranty , any repairs will cost you more than the trailer ... even simple repairs ... ask me how I know ...

And remember what Doug said .. “ the damage is not covered due to improper maintenance! “... Which covers a lot of ground and basically places ALL the blame on you ... Our dealer admitted , after the sale, that "proper maintenance" would Have to be done by him at a basic cost of about $1600.00 a year ... for basically a re-caulk and inspection ... any damage found was Extra.... and that was to preserve the warranty ..

If you want it to last , Please keep it stored INSIDE somewhere ... They are really NOT made to store outside ...
Old 02-25-2012, 12:16 AM   #5

wow scarry, maybe I don't want an RV after all. They're not meant to be stored outside? Really? So RV's are for sleeping in your garage on the weekends?
Old 02-25-2012, 06:00 AM   #6
GPW

Chief, basically YES ... When I bought my Jayco , I specifically asked the dealer if it would be OK Outside in my driveway ... He LIED !!! Wasn’t but a few months parked outside that I started having problems , requiring EXPENSIVE dealer repairs...
Unless you have lots of disposable income , an RV may not be for you ... Garage , rental storage , are the only way to preserve your investment , and treated so do just fine ...

I’m now re-thinking the whole RV “thing" and consider the humble cargo trailer conversions to be much more durable ... they do seem to survive out in the elements MUCH Better ... and about a fifth the price of my unit ... and tow so much easier than my Jayco “parachute” (draggy, no aerodynamics)

Ps. Don’t believe the dealer about re-sale values either ... I’m already “underwater” the trailer being worth less (in reality) than the balance due ... and the market is so glutted with RVs, even the dealers (around here anyway ) are having difficulties moving them ... They can post any price they want about what these Should be worth , but you’ll get much less in the real world ...

The final insult was my dealer calling my trailer an entry level “ disposable “ trailer ... Only thing I disposed of was $20K ... Stuck with the beast now .... grrrrr!!!!
Old 02-25-2012, 06:22 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Chief,

I just traded in a 2006 Outbak travel trailer and enjoyed every minute of owning it, we were just ready to move to something different. Just like owning a house, there is up-keep and things to check and worry about.

Things I worked on or replaced during my five years of trailer ownership were the foot pedal on the toilet, I sprung a leak in the kitchen plumbing and replaced the batteries in the detectors. It was time to replace the tires, but that's normal and I probably needed to have the hubs repacked or checked.

I stored mine outside beside my house, so it had some sun fade on the paint and stickers, but nothing mechanically wrong as a result of it.

I would check everything mentioned in the previous posts, but don't let it scare you away from rv'ing. My wife and I are up at 5:30 getting ready to head out camping with our three kids...it's awesome!

Also, be very choosy when selecting your new camper...there are a ton on the market right now...look on Craigslist for an individual seller. My Outback was NADA valued at low retail of $14k, I was lucky to get $9k for it.

Have fun and just do it!
Old 02-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #8

Chief,
Thought I'd chime in here with my two cents. Like these guys said, any TT you are considering needs to be gone over and checked for problems before purchase. Is the one you are considering the one to buy? You can't know until it is inspected. Don't be afraid to buy an RV. Just make sure it has been taken care of. There are many things on an RV that require vigilant maintanence routines.

The main point I want to get across is don't be scared out of a great activity. Just do your homework and make sure when you do purchase an RV, it is in good shape and right for you and your familiy. Good luck on finding the right RV, and happy camping!
Old 02-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We bought a 2001 Jayco Eagle Resort 35' with 2 slides 2 years ago used, and love it. It sits at a seasonal site year round. The main thing is to take your time and check everything out throughly.

ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote