Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2016, 07:56 PM   #1

Oklahoma Boomers Club
KZ RV Club
Smile Looking at a KZ Sportsmen 242BHSS - comments appreciated

Hello everyone - I am a female - not entirely stupid but would love any comments from those with more experience. Especially any other KZ owners! I am planning on pulling it with a 2007 Yukon XL which is rated for 7200 lb towing capacity. The info I have on it shows a GVWR of 6000 lbs, axle weight of 3940 lbs, UVW of 4480 lbs, hitch weight of 540 lbs. All these weights are what I don't understand & feel uneasy with taking a salesman's word for it being ok. I don't want to come anywhere near maxing out my towing vehicle's capability & having to worry about whether it will be stressed to the point of damage. Can anyone give me any advice? I would sure appreciate some experience here! Thanks in advance!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2016, 08:38 AM   #2

More information on the Yukon please. Is it equipped with a tow package? What's the motor size. Is it equipped with a transmission cooler? That is a heavy trailer. It looks good if properly hitched with a weight distribution , and sway control you may be good. But I don't know enough about the tv ( Yukon )? Dusty

Old 09-08-2016, 09:44 PM   #3

We pull a 27 ft Passport w GMC Yukom Denali - has 6.2 corvette engine w tow pkg - works great!
Old 09-09-2016, 12:35 AM   #4

The Yukon came in different packages. Two or four and all wheel drive. I can not remember but I think it only came in two engine sizes. And I'm not sure but I do not think that a 6.1 was one of them in 07. Dusty
Old 09-09-2016, 08:46 PM   #5

KZ RV Club
We own a a KZ Sportsmen 242BHSS and have been pulling it with a 2015 Yukon SLE with no problems. We have made two 2,000 mile round trips with this combination. It's towing capacity is 6500 lbs.
Regarding the weights you say you don't understand:
The UVW (Unloaded vehicle Weight) is what the trailer weighs as-is from the factory. Meaning nothing in the tanks, no propane etc.
The GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is the maximum load the trailer is designed to carry or in other words the trailer plus any "stuff" you bring camping (water, food, bedding, propane etc) So you subtract the UVW from the GVWR and that is how much "stuff" you can bring.
Hitch weight is how much of the trailer weight is being transferred into the hitch of your vehicle. The figure given by the manufacturer is for an unloaded trailer. As you carry more "stuff" this figure may rise. This can be affected by how you load the trailer. Items loaded forward of the trailers axles increase the hitch load and items loaded behind the axles do not increase this weight.
You need to find what your vehicle is rated for.
If your vehicle has a towing package installed you should be ok but if there isn't I'd think twice about towing with it. A vehicle without a towing package is only intended for occasional towing like a u haul for moving across town.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:52 AM   #6

KZ RV Club
IN my last post I failed to add:
You also need to consider buying a weight distribution hitch for the trailer and a proportional brake controller for your tow vehicle.
The weight distribution hitch will help equalize tow the loads into your vehicle and the brake controller will help by applying the trailer brakes for the trailer to match how the brakes are applied in the tow vehicle.
When we first bought our KZ we didn't get either and immediately realized that we needed both to tow safely.
I attach here (I hope) a 2007 trailing guide from Trailer Life magazine
http://roulottesremillard.com/wp-con...14/02/2007.pdf

Tags
kz-rv