RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2019, 09:57 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Looking at a Salem 26 DBUD. Thoughts?

The wife and I went to take a look at a new TT this past weekend since ours is getting a bit tired and small. The deal on the Forest River Salem 26 DBUD seems too good to pass up. Before I totally commit I would like to hear your thoughts about this TT.

Anyone have any experience with this model?

Thoughts?

Things to look for?

Thank you all in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2019, 02:10 PM   #2

I watched 2 YouTube videos on this trailer. I noticed there is also a Wildwood 25 DBUD. I do not know the difference between Salem and Wildwood.

Anyway it looks like a very nice trailer. I like the "Step Above" as those are my favorite steps. The trailer is probably a good trailer
but be aware that any trailer can have problems. Even the $150,000 5th wheels.

Things to look for:

Axle capacity, tire speed rating? heated and enclosed underbelly, check the roof to see if things are nice and neat. No sloppy sealant anywhere. Does it have gas/electric hot water heater and refrigerator. On your walk thru make just everything works. I know easier said than done.

Look on-line for a much more comprehensive check list for the Pre-Delivery Inspection. (PDI)

Oh, add $40 and tell them to give you a group 29/31 battery and not the standard little crappy group 24 battery.

tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:33 PM   #3

The battery tray size if equipped from the mfg. Will dictate what size batteries they install.
Might have to pay more for a larger tray for larger battery.

Also might have to pay for battery boxes and propane tank cover.
mokurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:45 PM   #4

The battery box may need to be bigger as the battery size for a group 29/31 is much bigger than the little group 24.

I priced group 24 batteries at $109, group 27 batteries at $119 and group 29 batteries for $129.

So add $40 for the bigger battery and bigger box.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:50 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Very good point about the battery, I didn't even think about it, but we do a lot of boondocking so that is a good idea.

I will be getting ready to sign the paperwork today or tomorrow, so plenty of time to mention it to them before I take delivery.

From what I have read, Wildwood and Salem are the same, just different graphics packages.

Everything better work since its a 2020. But I do have a list of items that are supposed to be included that I will verify on the walkthrough. The refrigerator is also 12 volt capable, so that's nice to have that option. Also more of a reason for a larger battery.

Thanks for the tips, keep em coming!
Old 12-20-2019, 09:46 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Thanks for the advice guys, we pick her up on 1/4/20. I did get the battery upgraded to 31 for $50.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:30 AM   #7

$50 is worth a battery that is much better, will last more discharge/recharge cycles, and will last about 3 years longer.

You guys are going to start the new year off right...new years resolution to go camping more.
Old 12-25-2019, 08:15 PM   #8

I had a 2013 that I bought new and used for a couple years. Overall, it was a great unit and I only sold it due to moving up in size.

Floor plan wise, the two entries on each side of the bed looked better than it worked since both door are so small. I'd have gladly just had one larger door.

The only real problems I had were with the brakes and and axles. Made noise from day one and the bearings got replaced under warranty. Brakes still made terrible noise all the time but everyone swore nothing was wrong. Never could understand why if other trailers don't make noise, nothing was wrong with mine?? Anyway, the brakes always worked fine but were just squeaky and noisy. Even when not applying the brakes. I'd roll through campgrounds and people in every site would stop what they were doing and look up. Took it to several tire shops, had bearings repacked and brakes inspected and everyone told me there was no problem.

mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale