Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2014, 06:58 AM   #1

Looking For A TT With a Good Reputation and Customer Service

We are looking to purchase a new T/T in the 25 to 28' range. Is it possible there is a half way decent manufacturer with a bit of good customer service still out there.. I have a Kodiak now and it spends most of the time being repaired or waiting for parts and it is only 1 year old. I have heard some good comments about Winnebago and StarCraft but thought I would bounce this off the Forum and see what some of you have to say.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2014, 09:10 AM   #2

Every brand has good and bad. What someone loves, others don't. What is an issue for some, others it is fine. Some get good service, some do not. Some get upset if the TP holder is not installed. To me it is all about the dealer, find a good dealer that will service in a reasonable time and all is good. If your dealer does not go to bat for you then you might not be happy. Good luck.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
Every brand has good and bad. What someone loves, others don't. What is an issue for some, others it is fine. Some get good service, some do not. Some get upset if the TP holder is not installed. To me it is all about the dealer, find a good dealer that will service in a reasonable time and all is good. If your dealer does not go to bat for you then you might not be happy. Good luck.
Well said and spot on. It's a crap shoot without a good dealer for backup.

With that being said I still would avoid any Dutchman product.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:13 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
We have a new 2015 Jay Flight 23RB, It is built very well, I've had 4 other Jayco's and they have always took care of their trailers if anything went wrong.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:25 AM   #5

We are also looking at Jayco Products. Thanks for the Feedback.....
Old 08-10-2014, 07:55 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan827 View Post
We are also looking at Jayco Products. Thanks for the Feedback.....

I would like to make one recommendation , if you want something that you donít have to worry about stay away from the fiberglass sides, weíve had two fiberglass sided trailers that we bought new, one Jayco and one Coachmen, they both started to delaminate when they were around one year old.

We see a lot of fiberglass trailers when we are walking around the campground that are delaminating, we went with stick and tin this time, and we are very happy that we did, a good coat of wax and it shines like a new silver dollar.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
I've had my trailer for 3 years, now and I can't address your question about customer service. Mine's never been back. I have had a skylight recall and I broke the sink. I fixed both myself, but I have not experienced anything bad enough to take it back to a FR dealer. Mine must have been assembled on Wednesday...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #8

While Gary has a very good point, there are differences in quality of construction and of manufacturer support in most every price range. But there is much more involved in comparing RVs that just the length. In general the higher priced trailers are of higher quality, but you need to also check reviews by reputable organization. My favorite is the RV Consumer Group, but there are others.

I am not an expert on the current travel trailer choices but both we and our son now own trailers by KZ and have been very satisfied with them. Ours is not a high end RV but one of the lower price units but quality has been good for the price range it falls into and the service & support is excellent. One of the good things about KZ is that they give a two year warranty on even their least costly models.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 01:58 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Many of the best TT's are no longer made. I had a Sunnybrook that was just great. I wish they were still making the high-end that they were before the crash. when they got bought their direction changed.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
Many of the best TT's are no longer made. I had a Sunnybrook that was just great. I wish they were still making the high-end that they were before the crash. when they got bought their direction changed.
I agree, our first trailer was a Sunline and they are also out of business now. It was a very solid T/T and never went back for any service issues..
Old 08-11-2014, 04:15 PM   #11

We bought our first TT this spring after doing about 18 months research. While talking with several different dealers I stumbled across our soon to be Jayco JayFlight 269 RLS. When we were picking up our unit the gal that went over it with us told us we bought the Cadillac as far as she was concerned. I have sense been in to the dealership to ask a few questions and even their service manager has commented to me how well built Jayco products are built and that the "issues" I had were more than likely something I had done wrong, sure enough he was right.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:35 AM   #12

I can speak to my experience with my Nash 23b (manufactured by Northwood, they also make Artic Fox which are high end trailers). A week after purchasing, we moved 2500 km away to an area where they don't have dealers, so I was somewhat concerned. The pdi (done prior to payment) revealed absolutely no issues that had to be fixed by the dealer.

Now think about it. A trailer is basically a house rolling on axles. How well would your house do if one day someone lifted it up and started to roll it down over sometimes bumpy roads? Some adjustments will be necessary. Some preventive maintenance will have to be carried out by the owner. Owning a trailer is in many ways similar to owning a cruising sailboat . You never leave the dock without a toolkit.

So far I've had to adjust the entry door latch gap, reseal the shower edges and reset some cabinet door hinge screws that had worked loose. I also resealed some windows and corner joints as a preventative measure. I did contact the manufacturer on these items and they indicated I could have taken it to any local dealer for the adjustments and they would have covered the costs (reimbursed me or the repair shop directly). They were under on obligation to do so, they could have asked me to drive 700km to their nearest dealer. They've also been great answering many questions via email.

Now as far as the fiberglass siding is concerned it does require frequent inspection of the roof and window seals but it has one major advantage over aluminum. If you live in a area subject to frequent hail, the aluminum can be easily damaged. Now sure your insurance company will probably cover the damage but your trailer could be in for repairs for 4-6 weeks while they order the siding.

I spoke to one owner of a delaminating fiberglass trailer in Yellowstone and asked him how often he inspects the roof. He said he had never been up there. A little care and maintenance goes a long way.

An aluminum sided trailer requires the same maintenance but if there is a small leak in the roof that goes into the walls it will still rot out the framing and insulation but that damage can be repaired from the outside by removing the siding. Aluminum sided trailers are more susceptible to water damage by wind driven rain. The siding is easily dented and perhaps a little more difficult to wash and wax than fiberglass.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:16 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcham View Post
I can speak to my experience with my Nash 23b (manufactured by Northwood, they also make Artic Fox which are high end trailers). A week after purchasing, we moved 2500 km away to an area where they don't have dealers, so I was somewhat concerned. The pdi (done prior to payment) revealed absolutely no issues that had to be fixed by the dealer.

Now think about it. A trailer is basically a house rolling on axles. How well would your house do if one day someone lifted it up and started to roll it down over sometimes bumpy roads? Some adjustments will be necessary. Some preventive maintenance will have to be carried out by the owner. Owning a trailer is in many ways similar to owning a cruising sailboat . You never leave the dock without a toolkit.

So far I've had to adjust the entry door latch gap, reseal the shower edges and reset some cabinet door hinge screws that had worked loose. I also resealed some windows and corner joints as a preventative measure. I did contact the manufacturer on these items and they indicated I could have taken it to any local dealer for the adjustments and they would have covered the costs (reimbursed me or the repair shop directly). They were under on obligation to do so, they could have asked me to drive 700km to their nearest dealer. They've also been great answering many questions via email.

Now as far as the fiberglass siding is concerned it does require frequent inspection of the roof and window seals but it has one major advantage over aluminum. If you live in a area subject to frequent hail, the aluminum can be easily damaged. Now sure your insurance company will probably cover the damage but your trailer could be in for repairs for 4-6 weeks while they order the siding.

I spoke to one owner of a delaminating fiberglass trailer in Yellowstone and asked him how often he inspects the roof. He said he had never been up there. A little care and maintenance goes a long way.

An aluminum sided trailer requires the same maintenance but if there is a small leak in the roof that goes into the walls it will still rot out the framing and insulation but that damage can be repaired from the outside by removing the siding. Aluminum sided trailers are more susceptible to water damage by wind driven rain. The siding is easily dented and perhaps a little more difficult to wash and wax than fiberglass.
One thing about fiberglass though, if it does start delaminating youíre up a creek in a boat without a paddle. Just ask anyone that has a trailer thatís delaminating, especially one after the warranty is expired .
Old 08-12-2014, 10:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcham View Post

Totally agree with Marcham.. Northwood has a good reputation.. I still wish I had bought an Arctic Fox vs. the Cougar High Country.. Warranty work still cost us due to Keystones reluctance to cover repairs..
I would also say Airstream, but I have never dealt with them..

Tags
service