Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2014, 06:29 AM   #15

My truck has around 50,000 miles and has not ever been used to tow anything heavy.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2014, 06:33 AM   #16

The pop-up idea may work...I'll ask my wife. It's kinda her issue. The half bath is one full bathroom and a secondary bathroom with just a toilet and sink. They are out there but apparently uncommon.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:50 AM   #17

They certainly don't have pop-ups that have baths and half? I didn't think any popup had bathrooms, other than a portapot (like a 1/4 bath?).

We did a popup because we needed something that towed up 2000lbs. All we got was refrig and heater and brakes. It said it slept five, but only if three of the five where kids. Otherwise it slept three comfortable. And then it gets chilly outside, it can get cold for those stuck on the outside of the bed. That wind beyond the bunk is chilly cold.

For the extra 810 lbs, and an extra $4000, it was well worth the upgrade to a TT.

I don't think you'll get your bath and half, but you've got enough truck you don't need to pick something with soft sides.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:41 AM   #18

The pop-up comment was for the earlier post on an outside porta-potty with a pop-up tent around it. I'm definitely going for the TT
Old 01-21-2014, 01:18 PM   #19

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of a fifth wheel versus a travel trailer? I'm assuming the fifth wheel is easier to tow but have no experience with either so anyone that can straighten me out would be appreciated.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:45 PM   #20

A 5th wheel is much better behaved behind the tow vehicle. The units go down the road more as1 unit. I have had both and notice the 5th wheel is also smoother. They are not affected as much by wind.

5th wheels will typically come on a more solid frame than a TT.

The disadvantage of a 5th wheel is they are heavier and use the bed of the truck where a trailer does not.

I would suggest you look at as many units as you can just to gain knowledge. RV shows are going on from now until mid Feb. You might just see something that would work.

Both TT and 5th wheels depreciate like crazy. Look at a few used models, again to gain knowledge.

The really bad news - your older F-150 really can not tow anything very heavy. I would stay around 6,000 lbs as a max.

Good Luck
Old 01-21-2014, 08:25 PM   #21

Thank you very much!
Old 01-28-2014, 02:08 PM   #22

Camplite 21BHS -5,000 lbs GVWR

Camplite 28BHS - 7,000 lbs GVWR

No 1 1/2 bath but light weight and well built.

djsamuel is offline   Reply With Quote