Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-13-2016, 05:21 PM   #15
RPr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 179
Floor plan, tow vehicle and cost are the three factors that have to be balanced. Floor plan being the most important.

Air Streams are the high end which is reflected in the cost but you have to like the looks and style. My wife does not. The Casita and Scamps are smaller shell type units, again you have to like the style.

The rest of the pack is the standard box on wheels. They all copy one anothers floor plan and they use the same supplier base for materials and appliances. Tow behind or fifth wheel, laminated or stick and tin they all have followers and detractors.

We could not make up our minds, so we rented what we thought we wanted for 10 days.

I believe that the floor plan remains long after the price is forgotten, so choose wisely.

Good luck.
__________________

__________________
RPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2016, 08:51 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPr View Post
Floor plan, tow vehicle and cost are the three factors that have to be balanced. Floor plan being the most important.

Air Streams are the high end which is reflected in the cost but you have to like the looks and style. My wife does not. The Casita and Scamps are smaller shell type units, again you have to like the style.

The rest of the pack is the standard box on wheels. They all copy one anothers floor plan and they use the same supplier base for materials and appliances. Tow behind or fifth wheel, laminated or stick and tin they all have followers and detractors.

We could not make up our minds, so we rented what we thought we wanted for 10 days.

I believe that the floor plan remains long after the price is forgotten, so choose wisely.

Good luck.
Spot on, good post.
__________________

__________________
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:58 AM   #17
Junior Member
 
Vneal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 12
See which TT are for you. IMHO the ones I think are of the highest quality in order are
1-Airstream
2-Winnebago
3-Forest River
__________________
Vneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:27 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North Ridgeville, OH
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vneal View Post
See which TT are for you. IMHO the ones I think are of the highest quality in order are
1-Airstream
2-Winnebago
3-Forest River
Somewhere in that mix, I think you have to include Arctic Fox/Northwood, Lance and Outdoors RV. Those companies seem to have good reputations. And, in terms of smaller trailers (Minnie, Micro Minnie), if you are looking for a four season trailer those three companies offer more in terms of trailers designed for real winter useage.

My problem is that being east of the Mississippi River, it's hard to find those trailers anywhere nearby. I hope Winnebago will consider offering a line of trailers really designed for winter use.
__________________
Retired but busier than ever!
2013 Winnebago 2201DS - 6,200 lbs. or so loaded!
2007 Tundra 5.7
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:30 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Superslif's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NE. Ohio USA
Posts: 4,707
I like all the floorplan in the Blackstone lines. We will check out the Arctic Fox line on our way to Alaska this summer..there is a dealer near Cincinnati Ohio who just picked up part of the Arctic Fox line...including trailers.

Looking for a tt under 30', preferably 26' to 28'...of above average build quality. (Northwood, Winnebago, Outdoors
__________________
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2018 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 24 RKS
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:35 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
tuffr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Posts: 2,456
I looked at a lot of AirStream trailers. I liked the hickory wood used in the classic line. The interiors had much more light that came in and had a very pleasant although small interior. It was the small interior plus the 80k or more price that had my picking a 5th wheel.

For two years 2012/2013 Keystone built the Advantage line of trailers to compete with Airstream. They had the same general shape but were curved wall, gray fiberglass. I ended up buying a 25RBS which I like a lot. I use the 5th wheel to snowbird in and the TT when taking 1 or 2 week trips.

Do a Google search on 'Keystone Advantage 29RLS'. To me that is a very nice high quality TT.

They have a shallow slide which does add room. But beaware it is low like an Aitstream. That means you pull handles to drain the tanks that in my opinion too low.
__________________
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:54 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North Ridgeville, OH
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
I like all the floorplan in the Blackstone lines. We will check out the Arctic Fox line on our way to Alaska this summer..there is a dealer near Cincinnati Ohio who just picked up part of the Arctic Fox line...including trailers.

Looking for a tt under 30', preferably 26' to 28'...of above average build quality. (Northwood, Winnebago, Outdoors
In my opinion, you just have to be careful when you look at the Arctic Fox line or other 4 season trailers as the weight may be more than you want to tow with a Tundra. Right after we got our Tundra, I towed our Sunline trailer that weighed in around 8K loaded. Although the Tundra could pull it, I don't think I would have wanted to tow it in the mountains and/or over a long period of time. When we downsized to the Minnie, I've been towing 6,500 lbs. or less, with quite a bit of gear in the truck bed and IMHO, the Tundra handles it quite well. If upgrading the Tundra to a 3/4 ton truck, I would have definitely considered an Arctic Fox, Nash or other true 4 season trailer. But, the Tundra and the Minnie are working out well for us, even for 6 week trips.

Have you taken a look at the Winnebago Minnie 2455BHS? That trailer would give you quite a bit of room and still weigh less than 7K loaded. Just a suggestion.

Good luck in your search!
__________________
Retired but busier than ever!
2013 Winnebago 2201DS - 6,200 lbs. or so loaded!
2007 Tundra 5.7
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:45 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Superslif's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NE. Ohio USA
Posts: 4,707
Quote:
In my opinion, you just have to be careful when you look at the Arctic Fox line or other 4 season trailers as the weight may be more than you want to tow with a Tundra
I know...The 30' Arctic Fox I liked ( 28F) the floor-plan was 7500lb (dry). The 26' hybrid we have now is 4300 lb (dry). Did a 23 day trip to Vermont this past August. Pulling it with the 2014 Tundra was sweet.

Quote:
Have you taken a look at the Winnebago Minnie 2455BHS?
Yes, At the Jan. RV show we spent at least an hour and a half touring both the 2451 & 2455 BHS Mini and the one Instinct line trailer they had at the show. Two things missing from our must have list on the Mini's: No couch, and small fresh tank at only 37 gallons and gray at only 25. We stay in a place for 7 days most of the time. Our fresh now is 53...It gets us a week of short showers if the place we're at has crappy facilities.

With the Winnebago rep we spent a lot of time between the Mini and the Instinct line 28RBDS. The 28 RBDS was also missing one of my wife's hit list items. Not mine but hers, and she's not budging....For the most part it had all my want items, but was at the top of my length number at 30' 7". I set 30' kind of at my limit. Tried to negotiate with my wife if she would gave up her one sticking point, I'll cave to the extra 6" of length....so far she's winning...I got to work her over some more.
__________________
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2018 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 24 RKS
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:40 AM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
With "Hope and Change" came the death of many of the best RV Mfg's. Outdoors RV and Northwood products are about the best in their class. BTW, this is JMO.
Like who? With some light remodeling and aesthetic updates, I believe I can make a well-built TT from 2005-2008ish into something that fits our budget and liking better than a new one. Any opinions on which manufacturers/brands to search for? I found a 2004 30' New Horizon bunkhouse, for $12k, but it sold in less than a week. (Bunkhouse would be ideal, but I would favor a higher quality platform and install bunks over a lower quality BH floorplan) Ideas? Thnks

I see some Starcraft, and Holiday Ramblers priced above others of the same size and year. A reflection of their quality and reputation?
__________________
Capt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:49 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Highway 4x4's Avatar
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: La Verne, Calif
Posts: 2,173
There were many great trailers made in the early 2000's. But the market really slowed down in 2008 & 9 as I recall and many were gone. Sunnybrook was one of mine and was bought by Winnebago who slowly choked out the line in favor of their TT line. Bigfoot, Travel Supreme, National, and many more called it a day. Good luck in your search and finding a good used one built in those years is a good plan.
__________________
2014 Wind River 250RDSW
2014 Ram 2500 Diesel Laramie 4x4, Snugtop shell,
One big spoiled Bernese Mtn Dog
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:56 PM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
With "Hope and Change" came the death of many of the best RV Mfg's. Outdoors RV and Northwood products are about the best in their class. BTW, this is JMO.
I 2nd this comment!
__________________
boondockonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:11 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Oregon
Posts: 338
After doing tons of research(and I understand some manufacturers aren't available in all parts of the country) I found that anything from Northwood is about the best in the Northwest. OutdoorsRV, arctic fox, Nash, etc.
__________________
2015 Ram 2500 6.7 cummins, Crew Cab
Mid 2016 Outdoors RV Creekside 23DBS, w/backcountry x4 and armor options.
archer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:11 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 342
Don't forget the Grand Design stuff. I guess they have really good factory support. I like the Reflection 313 rls but it is a big unit. Best suited to a 3/4 ton truck.

I have looked at some of the Northwood TT's and did not think much of them. Very well built but the floor plans lack what I want. Some of the floor plans were just stupid. I am looking at the ORV Blackstone at the end of the month. High $$$ units but very well built.
__________________
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:17 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North Ridgeville, OH
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Dan View Post
Like who? With some light remodeling and aesthetic updates, I believe I can make a well-built TT from 2005-2008ish into something that fits our budget and liking better than a new one. Any opinions on which manufacturers/brands to search for? I found a 2004 30' New Horizon bunkhouse, for $12k, but it sold in less than a week. (Bunkhouse would be ideal, but I would favor a higher quality platform and install bunks over a lower quality BH floorplan) Ideas? Thnks

I see some Starcraft, and Holiday Ramblers priced above others of the same size and year. A reflection of their quality and reputation?
Sunline made a very good travel trailer. We had a 29' 2002 trailer that served us very well for 10 years. Unfortunately, they are another small company that made a quality trailer that went out of business. If you look on rvtrader.com, there are quite a few of them listed.
__________________

__________________
Retired but busier than ever!
2013 Winnebago 2201DS - 6,200 lbs. or so loaded!
2007 Tundra 5.7
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
quality



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I replace the National quality? trode National RV Owner's Forum 18 07-23-2014 06:06 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.