Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2015, 09:08 AM   #1

Looking for input on quality TT

All, am new to forum and have been looking at 5th wheels and TT for several months now at the more I look the more blended they all seem. On the 5th wheel side have gone to many dealers and seen several models and for most part not happy with the quality of the ones I have seen especially at the higher price points (saw landmarks, DRV, Jayco Pinnacle, lifestyle, cedar creek, open range, big country). Had started looking at TT and saw the airstreams which really seemed nicer then many of the 5th wheels on quality (space is less of course) but seem that maintenance would be much less but cost is high. Has anyone compared TT brands with airstream and can provide comments on them vs. others. I have been to the airstream forum and do not see a lot of issues being stated. Looking for any input there is. If wanted to buy entry TT that is good quality any suggestions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2015, 10:08 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just sold an Evergreen Everlite 31 rear living. Really liked it, great construction & customer service. Easy to tow. Sold only because we moved to a class C. Would totally recommend Evergreen. Ours was composite construction which means you should have no possible delamination.
As far as Airstreams, we thought we were interested but found that all have much smaller black/gray tanks than other TTs. Of course no slide is a consideration. Good luck!

Old 12-01-2015, 02:29 PM   #3

"As far as Airstreams, we thought we were interested but found that all have much smaller black/gray tanks than other TTs. Of course no slide is a consideration. Good luck!" Some of the larger Airstreams did have a single slide. It is street-side in the salon/dining area. As I recall they only went out about 16" or so (maybe less). They do come up for sale once in a while. Check the classifieds on airforums.com in the 2000-2010 section (use advanced search to get to that choice). I don't think they were very popular.

The tank size is a much more important issue in my opinion. Judging from our tank size and how long we go, I would guess that you would need to dump/fill every 3-4 days. If you have FHU that isn't a problem. If you move that often anyway, it isn't a problem, either. If you stay for a week or two at a time it might be a problem.
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:19 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I was looking for High Quality 4 season TT and ended up sold on Outdoors RV. Dry Camped out in 9 degree weather for an Elk hunt and never had a problem.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:48 PM   #5

Jayco/Starcraft

We recently purchased a 2016 Starcraft 29FT TT and we are extremely happy with it. Minor changes made by dealer and now we are happy campers. I was stuck between two 18 wheelers and one in the front coming home and it rode and handled extremely well. I went over it very carefully before hitting the road and couldn't find anything major to complain about. Other than a shaky dealer things went very well. I am towing it with a F150 V8 and I knew there was 5000 lbs back there but nothing alarming and this was my first time pulling anytype of trailer. i don't know what kind of floorplan you are looking for but Starcraft has some great floor plans and I am sure you know that Starcraft is a Jayco in disguise.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:00 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
With "Hope and Change" came the death of many of the best RV Mfg's. Outdoors RV and Northwood products are about the best in their class. BTW, this is JMO.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:00 AM   #7

At the entry level, I'd be inclined to consider Jayco or Starcraft due to their 2 year warranty, but I'd consider any manufacturer if a unit compared favorably. As you move up the line, everyone has their opions. We've been happy with our Minnie and find it better than entry level. If I had a 3/4 ton truck, I'd consider an Arctic Fox or Nash four season trailer.
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:05 AM   #8

Carolina Campers
While the choice of manufacture is certainly key, a solid, local dealer is also something to consider. I know that local is not an option for every manufacturer/model, but certainly another variable to keep in mind if you have a couple of makes/models that score closely for you.

I will also add that I have owned (and used fairly regularly) an Evergreen Everlite for a year and thus far have been very happy.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:34 PM   #9

I too have been shopping for 5th wheel trailers. I am a tall guy and have found per square footage most travel trailers are better suited to me. And with my Ram 2500 I can tow big travel trailer easier than a 5'er.

Look over the Outdoors RV Blackstone models. They seem to be very well built and roomy. I have only looked them over online. Perhaps someone on here can chime in who has one.

ORV | Video Black Stone
Old 02-10-2016, 09:15 PM   #10

Jayco Owners Club
Blackstones are nice... but don't pass out when the price hits you...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Blackstones are nice... but don't pass out when the price hits you...
Oh yes, they are pricey. But you have to consider the quality and size in comparison to a FW trailer. Then they look pretty favorable.

A lot of folks seem to like the Highland Ridge trailers as well. The TT line is a wide built unit and has taller ceilings than most.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:31 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1340 View Post
I too have been shopping for 5th wheel trailers. I am a tall guy and have found per square footage most travel trailers are better suited to me. And with my Ram 2500 I can tow big travel trailer easier than a 5'er.

Look over the Outdoors RV Blackstone models. They seem to be very well built and roomy. I have only looked them over online. Perhaps someone on here can chime in who has one.

ORV | Video Black Stone
We also liked the looks of the Blackstone trailers online and in the brochures. So much so, we drove from Texas to the factory in LaGrande Oregon to check them out before ordering. The trailers looked fantastic, but while in LaGrande Oregon we also visited the factory where the Arctic Fox trailers are manufactured. In our opinion, the Arctic Fox trailers are much beefier and better built than the Outdoors RV trailers. The ORV units are still a very nice unit , but when compared to the Arctic Fox it is not as Beefy. The frames on the Arctic Fox units are significantly thicker and heavier.... But, I must say that the ORV trailers have more bling. Both of them are fine trailers, and in my opinion way above the average in the industry for travel trailers.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfuse View Post
We also liked the looks of the Blackstone trailers online and in the brochures. So much so, we drove from Texas to the factory in LaGrande Oregon to check them out before ordering. The trailers looked fantastic, but while in LaGrande Oregon we also visited the factory where the Arctic Fox trailers are manufactured. In our opinion, the Arctic Fox trailers are much beefier and better built than the Outdoors RV trailers. The ORV units are still a very nice unit , but when compared to the Arctic Fox it is not as Beefy. The frames on the Arctic Fox units are significantly thicker and heavier.... But, I must say that the ORV trailers have more bling. Both of them are fine trailers, and in my opinion way above the average in the industry for travel trailers.
And I have a Arctic Fox dealer 15 minutes away. No ORV dealer here.
I wish Northwood would update their website to show what is currently available. They build a great product but have lousy IT! LOL
Old 02-13-2016, 02:26 PM   #14

billyf,

fist off Like the saying goes so many women/men so little time.

We have had our share of rv's both 5th wheel and TT. A lot has to do with your TV and how many campers there will be(floorpan).

My TT that I have now is a outdoor rv creekside 2011,we are the second owner of this unit. Everything in the unit is great. I love this little jewel,while at the moment it does not have some of the latest bling all works great. The amount of money we saved over a new one was unreal. I have plenty of funds left over for up grades. All in all I am sold on Outdoor RV quality and customer service.

just my tcw

WWR

wwron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality