Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2016, 07:32 AM   #15

confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougL3NC View Post
I'm not looking to cheap out at all! But is it really necessary to spend $660 on the Equalizer if the 4000lb Atwood for $275 will accomplish the same goal?

Is it going to really be worth 2.5x the price?

I spent $250, i was referring to something to something around $100,

sprry for the confusion.

Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2016, 08:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1340 View Post
My cheapo electric jack is 9 years old and doing fine.

Question, why do you need to raise the TV with the jack to set the WDH? I've never heard of that.
I really don't know of any WDH that will distribute weight without raising the TV and Trailer Tongue to tension the spring bars when you are initially hitching up.

What kind of hitch are you using?

Old 05-13-2016, 08:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprayman View Post
I spent $250, i was referring to something to something around $100,

sprry for the confusion.

Jim
I'm with you. I wasn't really looking for $100 Harbor Freight specials, even though some have had years of luck. I was looking for a good product from a reputable manufacturer that would give me a good service life and had a decent warranty.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:51 AM   #18

The Barker VIP Power Electric Tongue Jack (3500 lbs.) is $199.86 at AdventureRV.net. It's available with an 18" and 24" stroke, has a built in bubble level and a night light. It also has a 2 year warranty. About the only thing it doesn't have is a remote control.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 12:04 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougL3NC View Post
I really don't know of any WDH that will distribute weight without raising the TV and Trailer Tongue to tension the spring bars when you are initially hitching up.

What kind of hitch are you using?
Pretty sure it's a Reese. When I towed with my half ton RAM I'd lower the hitch on the ball till it locked then snap up the chains before the rear of the truck dropped or the front comes up. Then raise the jack. On my RAM 2500 with auto level I just drop the hitch on the ball and raise the jack up all the way. Once the system levels out I snap up the chains to drop the front of the truck down. Of course the system goes through some gyrations again. Doing a WDH on a truck with auto level is a little different as I can drop probably 1500-1800 on the ball and the bumper just comes back up to stock. My trailer is only about 850 lbs at the hitch. What you look at/measure is the front bumper. On an auto level system you want the front to be about 1/4" above stock height. Might be my arms are too big? LOL.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:52 AM   #20

I'm happy with my Ram jack. Has great reviews on Amazon and doesn't seem to be any less well built than the "name brands".
Old 06-21-2016, 10:30 AM   #21

Just put a 3000# Husky Brute on our 19 Hideout. It replaced the 2000# hand crank. I think I paid just under $200 for it from Amazon and free shipping. So far I am pleased with it. On that small of trailer it shouldn't get too much abuse. I liked the idea of the ball bearing gears.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:41 AM   #22

Thanks for reminding me to update!

For Father's Day, the wife and kids got me the Husky Brute 4500R. I haven't mounted it up yet, but I have a feeling it will be more than adequate for our TT.

Tags
power