Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2016, 07:24 AM   #1

Looking for Power Tongue Jack Questions/Opinions

I'm wanting to add a power tongue jack to our new TT, but I really want to ask a few questions and get some opinions before I waste any money.

The hitch weight of my trailer is right at about 850lbs wet and loaded. I'm running the Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch, so I'll have to be able to raise the tongue and TV to tension the bars properly. My TV in an 03 2500 GMC Yukon XL, so I know it's not exactly light in the rear end.

I'm not looking to break the bank, but I would prefer a quality unit as we haul out quite a bit. What capacity would I need as far as lifting weight?

Opinions on brand? Do they all have a manual back up? any experience with the ones that connect to the trailer's 7-way plug for power?

Thanks in advance!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2016, 07:56 AM   #2

My trailer came with a atwood 4000lb tongue jack. There is a manual crank. It picks up my truck and trailer like they aren't even there.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:51 AM   #3

While walking around the campground, we meet and talk to a couple with a brand new TT, while he was cranking the manual tongue jack. Told him the best money he could spend was a power jack !!!
Old 05-11-2016, 08:59 AM   #4

So far I have been very happy with the Barker jack I purchased.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:42 AM   #5

I like the Atwoods, currently using a 3500 $100 Ram that works fine.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:09 PM   #6

Barkers are very reliable. In addition to weight rating, you're going to want to measure how far you extend the jack, too.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:45 PM   #7

Have always worried about how much stress you are putting on the tongue of the trailer as you are basically picking up the rear of the truck to install the hitch bars ?
Old 05-11-2016, 08:04 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a 4000LB capacity Bull Dog electric jack. Love it! It has a 3/4" nut connection at the top in case the power goes out, or other issues. Just attach a 3/4 socket to it and crank the old fashioned way.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:49 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougL3NC View Post
I'm wanting to add a power tongue jack to our new TT, but I really want to ask a few questions and get some opinions before I waste any money.

The hitch weight of my trailer is right at about 850lbs wet and loaded. I'm running the Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch, so I'll have to be able to raise the tongue and TV to tension the bars properly. My TV in an 03 2500 GMC Yukon XL, so I know it's not exactly light in the rear end.

I'm not looking to break the bank, but I would prefer a quality unit as we haul out quite a bit. What capacity would I need as far as lifting weight?

Opinions on brand? Do they all have a manual back up? any experience with the ones that connect to the trailer's 7-way plug for power?

Thanks in advance!
I read that you don't want to break the bank but Equalizer Systems has the best product hands down. A fully self contained, hydraulic/electric, one wire hookup, 6000# brute that installs in the typical 3 hole bolt pattern. Buy one and take it with you if you trade trailers, etc. I've owned one 15 yrs or so and it's an amazing piece of equipment. Before purchasing it I replaced the electric jacks frequently, generally just after the warranty expired!

My trailer is a 3 axle stacker that weights roughly 20k and the jack handles it with ease; pic attached, please excuse the dirt! JMHO, link below...

Hydraulic Bumper Pull Tongue Jack - Equalizer Systems
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stacker.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	391.8 KB
ID:	126791  
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:33 AM   #10

retailer

call someone who sells them, they should help you. don't cheap out.

Jim
Old 05-12-2016, 01:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprayman View Post
call someone who sells them, they should help you. don't cheap out.

Jim
I'm not looking to cheap out at all! But is it really necessary to spend $660 on the Equalizer if the 4000lb Atwood for $275 will accomplish the same goal?

Is it going to really be worth 2.5x the price?
Old 05-12-2016, 05:56 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougL3NC View Post
I'm not looking to cheap out at all! But is it really necessary to spend $660 on the Equalizer if the 4000lb Atwood for $275 will accomplish the same goal?

Is it going to really be worth 2.5x the price?
In my humble opinion.... yes. I've never had an electric unit that was used often last more than two years on a heavy trailer. Replace one electric unit that's out of warranty and you've nearly made up the cost difference plus the aggravation factor. Couple that with the fact that you can remove the Equalizer when you sell, trade up, or even quit RV'ing and recoup some of your initial investment and maybe it will make sense for you. It's important to remember the Equalizer is a hydraulic unit when comparing pricing.

I made the recommendation based on your original post: "I'm not looking to break the bank, but I would prefer a quality unit as we haul out quite a bit. What capacity would I need as far as lifting weight?" Happy motoring!
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:49 PM   #13

My cheapo electric jack is 9 years old and doing fine.

Question, why do you need to raise the TV with the jack to set the WDH? I've never heard of that.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1340 View Post
My cheapo electric jack is 9 years old and doing fine.

Question, why do you need to raise the TV with the jack to set the WDH? I've never heard of that.
If you are using a conventional WDH with torsion bars you pretty much have to lift the rear of the TV to allow you to safely and easily snap the chains in place or lift the bars onto their brackets. If you are able to simply lift the bars against the full tongue weight, you are not distributing any weight.
I'd really like to see a picture of your set up to understand how you might be unaware of this. Is it an Anderson, perchance?

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power