Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2015, 09:05 AM   #15

In the same boat

I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler and just purchased my first travel trailer. I got a Jayco SLX184BH, which is just under 2800 pounds dry. With packing light, and a regeared Jeep, ill let you know how it goes this weekend when I take it out. I like that it sleeps 4-5, separate shower / toilet and of course, under 2800#'s. Will see how it goes.

Adam

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2015, 05:19 AM   #16

Just traded down to a 2016 R-POD 179 2600 lbs dry weight pulling with an 05 Colorado 3.5 no issues a all.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:40 AM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
I tow a 17' Casita with an '07 Toyota FJ Cruiser, I believe the same drive train as the Highlander, and it does just fine. The dry weight on the 17' Casita is just over 2500, so I just try to keep the load light.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:03 AM   #18

We just moved up from a rpod 171. We bought it because my wife thought it was cute and brought back nostalgic feelings from her childhood camping in a vintage trailer. I signed on because I thought it being narrower than most trailers and tear-drip would get good mileage behind my F150. It turns out that the design is not fuel efficient at all and in addition we were not informed about leaks that occurred before we signed papers . They were supposedly fixed , but were not and in addition found a crack in the roof . We lasted two months in it and can not recommend it to anyone as the bed is also near impossible to make. It's cute , but sacrificing cute for room in the false assumption it will get good mileage towing is a error.

Viking makes a hard sided camper that probably fits the OP's criteria and scores very well in owner satisfaction surveys.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:56 AM   #19

2015 Jayco SLX184BH

Well, verdict is in. I am very happy with this TT. Pulls well behind the jeep. Plenty of room and functionality for our family of four. Looking forward to many adventures with our new camper. I will be installing a larger trans oil cooler for piece of mind, but was very confident with handling and towing this trailer.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1675.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	100735
YoYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:55 PM   #20

Ok, gotta ad my $0.02 worth. We had a '07 Tacoma with a 2.7 pulling a KZ Sportsmen Classic. Our tow limit was 3500 lbs. With DH and 22 lb dog, water, food, clothes, full tank of gas, I figured that we were about 3000 lbs. It sucked. The KZ is a aluminum sided trailer, with the width in behind the truck, creating a big sail. We sold the Tacoma ( I _do_ miss the Tacoma ) and bought a '06 F250. No more worrying about steep hills.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:49 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
Well, verdict is in. I am very happy with this TT. Pulls well behind the jeep. Plenty of room and functionality for our family of four. Looking forward to many adventures with our new camper. I will be installing a larger trans oil cooler for piece of mind, but was very confident with handling and towing this trailer.Attachment 100735

Nice looking Jayco and very cool Jeep.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:33 AM   #22

Thanks Justafordguy! I like it so far.

YoYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:18 AM   #23

Looking for small TT

Here is our set up been towing for three years now. Have been all over Bc Canada with it.

It is a holiday rambler 187qb. They were discontinued about a year ago but you may be able to find one.

My wife,myself and our dog enjoy it lots. And the trailer can sleep 4 with the table folded down.

We have also been out in -10*c and the trailer stayed a nice 22*c inside. We camped for two weeks like this and with using heat 24/7 and the stove and burners for cooking and propane for extra hot water we went through three 20 pound propane tanks. We were at a full hook up site.

The dry weight was under 3000 pounds.

Hope this helps. Good luck on your search.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1437628676.520345.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	100883
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast0ne View Post
Here is our set up been towing for three years now. Have been all over Bc Canada with it.

It is a holiday rambler 187qb. They were discontinued about a year ago but you may be able to find one.

My wife,myself and our dog enjoy it lots. And the trailer can sleep 4 with the table folded down.

We have also been out in -10*c and the trailer stayed a nice 22*c inside. We camped for two weeks like this and with using heat 24/7 and the stove and burners for cooking and propane for extra hot water we went through three 20 pound propane tanks. We were at a full hook up site.

The dry weight was under 3000 pounds.

Hope this helps. Good luck on your search.

Attachment 100883
What hitch setup are you using I have an 04 Colorado 3.5 z71 my hitch is 10 inches off the ground did you use a riser ?
Old 07-24-2015, 03:44 PM   #25

All aluminum, light weight, and easy to tow. Check 'em out.

https://www.livinlite.com
Old 07-24-2015, 04:44 PM   #26

I like the Livin light VRV line...Casita is real nice had the 17' spirit delux for years, also consider Oliver...
Old 07-24-2015, 05:41 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystictravel View Post
What hitch setup are you using I have an 04 Colorado 3.5 z71 my hitch is 10 inches off the ground did you use a riser ?

I am using a rise hitch for my setup as the truck is lowered.

Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote