Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2015, 05:34 PM   #1

Looking for small TT

Looking for advice....and know there is plenty here! I am looking for a small travel trailer that I can tow with my 05 4WD Toyota Highlander(with factory tow package)......new or a decent condition used. Do not want soft sided; fiberglass or aluminum would be my choice for weight considerations. Most use would just be me and the dog so sleeping capacity of 3 would be big enough with kitchen, bathroom, small dinette area, A/C, furnace, water heater. Would camp three seasons, not in snowy winter. According to the Highlander manual, the gross trailer weight(trailer plus gear,etc.) limit is 3500# and the gross combined weight (trailer & load plus vehicle and its load) is 8860#. Any suggestions for a trailer weighing in the range of 2000 - 2600#? Any feedback on the Mighty Lite line?

Thanks,
Sande
NVcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2015, 07:50 PM   #2

For that weight range have you thought of an Aframe style RV? No canvas, but still folds down. There are models that meet all your requirements.

It will be difficult, if not impossible, to find a full height travel trailer under 3k lbs loaded, and towing a full height trailer will not be a lot of fun for you.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:53 PM   #3

Looking for small TT

http://www.aliner.com

http://www.chaletrv.com
Old 05-09-2015, 05:48 AM   #4

Coachmen RV - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers - Fifth Wheels - Tent Campers - Motorhomes

Something like this Viking 14R might work, but you'll have to pack light.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:28 PM   #5

Or try a T@B
Old 06-19-2015, 09:53 PM   #6

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My 14 ft Dutchmen would work for you - it is identical to the Colemans that Thor Industries is now making.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:30 PM   #7

I was in the same boat, exact same tow limits, no interest in a fold up trailer. A few options I researched:

- Forest River R-Pod: A bit too close to 3500 lbs for my liking, but nice.
- Livinlite Camplite: Suits the weight exactly, has the features necessary. Did not at all suit my budget, though the idea of a rot-proof camper was really enticing.

In the end, I got an extremely stripped down Kingsport 14RBC (which is now the Amerilite 14RBC). Stripped down to the point of no propane or shower. Under 2200 lbs. My guess is closer to 2000 lbs. There's other trailers with the exact same layout and very similar weights (though they quickly end up at 2600 lbs once all the features are stuffed in). Trouble is, this design only sleeps 2. But if you are willing to go full-out DIY on it, it can be adapted to sleep 3 (add a removable cot bunk over the dinette), even 4 (design a way to convert the bench to a bed, from my measurements 30x72 is possible with creativity).

There are some 16 foot designs that incorporate two small single bunks. Those tend to be in the 2600-2800 lbs range, so they'll (just!) be towable as well.

If budget isn't an issue, the camplite is the best solution.

As for towing, you'll probably find the same that I've found: Small SUVs are... interesting... to tow with. I've never had any sway (only addition I have is a sway control bar, which the RV shop managed to install on a class II hitch). But that could be because a 6-cylinder engine set up for fuel economy with front wheel drive won't push past 100 km/h without feeling like it wants to blow up. You will definitely notice headwind. When I had to drive against the wind going over 80 km/h meant shifting from 3rd to 2nd rather unpleasantly. If you can be leisurely about driving, it can be a safe experience and you won't feel any pressure (even when it's busy, people and truckers will happily pass you so long as you're in the slow lane---I'm speaking from experience driving on the busiest highway in North America here). If you feel the need to keep up with traffic it will be grueling and disappointing. Most annoying, I find, is my vehicle doesn't have a big enough gas tank. I have to fill up every 2 hours to keep myself above 1/3rd of a tank.

Don't forget to adjust your headlights. The back end of the vehicle will be lower than you've ever seen it before.
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:34 AM   #8

I don't know if a Scamp would work or not.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:38 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Looking for small TT

Hi. Venza owner here. We had a 13ft Cikira, which we pulled no problem. It was about 2000lbs. A little gem, with toilet/shower, air conditioning, microwave, 2 burner stove, small fridge, but lots of storage and a small wardrobe. The dinette was your bed, with a bunk above for 1. It was cosy and functional. We did get footitis though and now have an 18ft Apex bh. A permanent bed, large dinette but not quite as much storage as the smaller trailer. It is 2700lbs and with our stuff...food, bikes, kayaks we decided to spare the Venza and find a good used truck. Check out the Prolites, they have some lighter models. Good luck and have fun.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
LittleHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:44 PM   #10

Good point, Scamp, Casita, and Escape are worth looking at and were on my consideration list. Old Boler and Trillium trailers are worth considering too.

Another brand was Roulottes Prolite (they even make one somewhat towable by a smartcar), though I imagine they are Canadian Only. Don't forget teardrop trailers!
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:00 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
We had a Gulfstream Visa 19ERD that we pulled with the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Dry weight was around 2800lbs and we had the same tow restrictions as you. It was a good starter for us. We realized however that you sacrifice a little quality for weight and some of the materials did not agree with our scorching desert heat here in AZ. Overall though, we were very happy with it. I checked out the website and they no longer offer that model but here is one similar ...

Vista Cruiser Floorplans | Gulf Stream RV

The scamps are cute but I think they had the set up where the shower and toilet are all in the same space which was weird to me.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:50 AM   #12

Just purchased a 2016 R Pod 179 towing with my Colorado 4000 pd gvw very spacious queen bed full wet bath slide out dinnette quality construction 2600 pds empty. Has a screen room addition you can add .
Mystictravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 04:56 AM   #13

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We went from a 4.7 8 cylinder Dodge motor to a 5.7 8 cylinder Dodge Hemi motor on our towing rig. Towing either our 14 ft TT, or our 18 ft Tracker boat. The tow vehicle is DH's everyday truck.

Both vehicles were/are 1/2 tons and both had/have a tow package. Big, big difference for the better with the Hemi.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:18 AM   #14

I agree with an R-Pod style teardrop.
Maybe a Winnebago Micro Minnie.

Your biggest issue is going to be hitch weight. The Highlander is really just made to tow a jetski or small utility trailer. Any travel trailer will have a wet hitch weight that totally maxes out and quickly overloads your Toyota.
With 3500lbs towing, your max hitch weight is around 400lbs.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote