Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2017, 01:41 PM   #1

Looking For Some Advice

Hello to the TT bunch. Last year we sold our DP in order to build our dream home in Montana. Now that we are settled in, we are realizing how much we miss RV'ing. But the reality is we need to scale back what we travel in. Particularly because we will not be spending months on the road like we use to.

I drive a 1/2 ton Ram with the V-8 Hemi. Tow capacity about 8300 lbs. I want to find a good quality (most likely used) TT. It will only be the DW and me. The bed, bath and toilet fit is important because I am 6'3" and tip over 260 on the scale. We also would like to have comfortable seating (i.e. - a couple of recliners) but I am seeing that is hard to find in smaller TT's.

I am just starting my research. We did go to a local RV show and we looked at the Lance TT's. I was impressed with the fit and finish. But they are proud of the price. Also walked on a couple of others but not too impressed with their finished product. I won't mention names because I will probably offend someone on here.

I would really appreciate any advice or opinions from those of you that may have had experiences similar to what I am facing when you went through your decision-making process to select your TT. Thanks in advance for your input.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2017, 02:20 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Looking For Some Advice

We spent last February pulling our 289RK Denali with a 1500 Ram and 5.7 Hemi. Then upgraded to a 2500 w/6.7.

The Denali was at the upper edge of the envelope for hauling. But, it handled the task well. Don't know how it would handle taking on Wallace Pass. Poorly, I would imagine.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:50 PM   #3

Worked for just us... size, price, quality, easy towing....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2017+ApexBrochure.pdf (2.75 MB, 57 views)
Old 03-13-2017, 02:54 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
You are now living "my" Montana dream! DW won't move out of VA. Good luck on the TT hunt.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:45 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
To be under the 8300 lb. towing for the Ram, to get two recliners in a "better" built tt, you might want to look at a floorpaln that deletes the dinette table and has two small bestro tables by the recliners. Or a free-standing dinette table can be swapped out for two recliners.

Quality built tt's weight more and can be twice the price such as Arctic Fox or Outdoors RV units. I'll throw in Highland Ridge tt's in there too.

When we were in MT. last summer on our way to Alaska we stopped at a Arctic Fox dealer. We liked the 25W which most come with the double recliner couch. I believe it is 6700 dry, but I'm not sure if the 400lbs. is added for dual pane windows. I'm dealing with a 9900 max towing for my Tundra. We will be looking at both AF and Outdoors RV's this spring on our western trip. The 25W's run in the upper $30's / low $40's....

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:34 AM   #6

We decided on our 2015 Grey Wolf 26RL as our retirement TT, has everything we wanted, and sounds similar to yours. It may not be the higher end quality that you are looking for, but we have had it a year and a half now and love it. We have the same truck, with 3.55 gears, tows great with our Husky Centerline TS hitch . Watch your retail pricing, ours listed at $32,000 and found it online for 19,900 out the door !

Cherokee Grey Wolf Travel Trailers / Toy Haulers by Forest River RV

Old 03-14-2017, 05:17 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Look at the Keystone Bullet 269RLS it is within your weight range and floorplan requirements. I love our Bullet.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:41 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That is a pretty tall order. A quality trailer, with a full size queen bed, that has recliners, all in a package that is light enough to be pulled behind a lighter duty half ton. You also may want something with a four seasons rating if you are in Montana as nights there in the mountains can get pretty chilly even in September. If you can give up the recliners I would look at the smaller Creekside trailers by Outdoors RV. Well built, four seasons trailers but quality has a price.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:46 AM   #9

Check out Jayco trailers. They have an Eagle ht fifth wheel line out that even has two recliners. Their claim is that this fifth wheel can be towed with a half ton. Two year warranty.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Look at the Keystone Bullet 269RLS it is within your weight range and floorplan requirements. I love our Bullet.

We also have a 2016 Bullet 269RLS and after a year and thousands of miles we love it.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:29 PM   #11

Hello HoboBob, I'd recommend you go to Gardners in Kalispell or Rangitch in Zootown and take a look at the Arctic Fox and Outdoors RV lines. They are a bit heavy, but have some very nice smaller units for short term camping. You are in the camping Mecca of the north and need to get out and enjoy it. Look for big H2O capacity and keep the size small so you can get into the State and Federal campgrounds. There are used ones around on occasion, but it's good to look at new ones so you can get an idea of what you want. Good luck
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:32 PM   #12

Thank you to all of you for your advice and wisdom. You have given me much to ponder over and make/models to review. I will come back here and update when we make a decision and a purchase.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyone View Post
Check out Jayco trailers. They have an Eagle ht fifth wheel line out that even has two recliners. Their claim is that this fifth wheel can be towed with a half ton. Two year warranty.
I've looked a bunch at all the "half ton towable" 5th wheels and have only found one that looked like it had any chance at being half ton towable, and it was a Winnebago that had about 800 lbs of hitch weight. Everything else that I've seen is 1,100+ lbs of hitch weight with most being 1,300+, and I don't see how that's reasonable for a half ton truck. You'll be over payload easily with passengers, cargo, hitch, and a fuel load of fuel.
patriot07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
That is a pretty tall order. A quality trailer, with a full size queen bed, that has recliners, all in a package that is light enough to be pulled behind a lighter duty half ton. You also may want something with a four seasons rating if you are in Montana as nights there in the mountains can get pretty chilly even in September. If you can give up the recliners I would look at the smaller Creekside trailers by Outdoors RV. Well built, four seasons trailers but quality has a price.
This pretty much sums it up. More than the max towing of your truck look at the payload. You'll usually run up against that more quickly.

Coming out of a DP you're going to be shocked and disappointed at the lack of quality of any TTs that are in the weight range of that truck. If there is any way you can upgrade to a 3/4 ton truck you'll have almost endless options for a TT that fits your needs.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice