Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2019, 06:49 AM   #1

Looking for truck recommendations (for towing)

Hello RV friends!

I'm an experienced RV traveler having owned an 18' trailer, which I've been towing with my SUV for the past several years. Overall, great experience! However, my two kids are older, and we've outgrown our little trailer, which we will be selling.

We're now looking at 27'+ trailers with a gross weight range 6000 to 7500 lbs. I've never owned a truck before, let alone towed with one, and I'm looking for recommendations on what to look for when shopping for a truck, especially for towing purposes. Also, any recommendations for brands/models, too that have worked for you would also be appreciated.
rjw72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2019, 06:59 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw72 View Post
Hello RV friends!

I'm an experienced RV traveler having owned an 18' trailer, which I've been towing with my SUV for the past several years. Overall, great experience! However, my two kids are older, and we've outgrown our little trailer, which we will be selling.

We're now looking at 27'+ trailers with a gross weight range 6000 to 7500 lbs. I've never owned a truck before, let alone towed with one, and I'm looking for recommendations on what to look for when shopping for a truck, especially for towing purposes. Also, any recommendations for brands/models, too that have worked for you would also be appreciated.
Just make sure any rig you get can tow well more than that and has enough cargo capacity for the tounge weight and your stuff and people. Once you know that, you'll be good to look for the creature comforts within your budget.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw72 View Post
Hello RV friends!

27'+ leaves things open still. At 27-30ft a 3/4 ton truck is perfect for the weight you're talking about but if you are thinking of going mid 30ft or more then you might want to think about a one ton or a well set up 3/4 depending on weight and length. Also you'll want to think about gas or diesel depending on the size/weight and where you plan on traveling due to altitude and climbing mountains. Diesel will be better at altitude and when towing through the mountains but on the flats you may never have a need for it and could be a wasted expense.

People do successfully tow with half ton trucks in the 30ft/7500lb range but it's starting to get iffy there.

It might be a good idea to find your next trailer first and then find a truck to match it. Figure out how much weight your truck will be asked to carry (passengers, junk in the bed and trailer tongue weight) and then look for a truck that can carry that weight.
ASTMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:54 AM   #4

IMHO, the minimum truck needed:

Up to 30' travel trailer: A well equipped (for towing) long wheel base 1/2 ton (CCSB or SCLB) with most powerful engine available. The longer wheelbase will give better stability.

30' to 35' travel trailer: A 3/4 ton gas truck. A 3/4 ton truck with a diesel has about the same cargo carrying capacity as a 1/2 ton truck, but the gas engine weighs significantly less giving more cargo carrying capacity.

35' and over travel trailer: a 1 ton truck with gas or diesel. The diesel would be preferable for longer, heavier trailers. Pulling a bunch in the mountains, then the diesel.

Starting off with a 1 ton truck will give you more options when you decide you want a 5th wheel trailer.
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:11 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Since you are not a seasoned tower I would skip the half tons and get a 3/4 ton truck. It is the right tool for the job. You will not have to be as concerned about weight and loading and it will be far more stable in extreme braking and maneuvering situations.

I would make sure it has powered folding/telescoping mirrors, (very handy in drive throughs and tight parking lots), and a factory integrated brake controller.

If you only tow occasionally I would stick with a gas motor. If towing weekly then get the diesel.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:19 PM   #6

If you never owed a truck you will be in for a pleasant surprise. Go test drive the Ford F-150 crew cab with the 3.5 Eco-Boost engine to see what I am talking about.

Then test drive a Ram 1500 5.7 lite hemi engine. You will be hard pressed to make a decision so test drive a GM 1/2 ton truck.

It will not be an easy decision.

If you can wait just a few months the redesigned GM 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks will be available. The gas version will have a new 6.6 litre more powerful engine.

A few more months later Ford will have a new 7.3 litre gas engine.

The diesel versions will have almost too much power...if there is such a thing.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:10 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
On my 2nd 2500 Dodge/Ram wouldn’t consider anything else. Both had/have Cummins Diesel engines. Too much power, I don’t think so. Towing about 8500 lbs., there’s never been a time I was sorry I bought them. Tow package is a must, as well as mapping and GPS systems. Fuel economy is great about 12.5 mpg towing and 24mpg without the trailer behind me at 60 mph.
pdxgwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:48 PM   #8

Oh my. What a question. The problem is that cute little 15' trailer becomes a 22' that your Yugo can't tow so you get an SUV, but then that 22' grows to 30' so you get a Suburban. Then you fall in love with a fifth wheel.......You see where I'm going. (don't ask how I know this). Save yourself thousands of dollars and take the big leap into a one ton 4 door diesel. You won't be disappointed and will be able to tow anything until you need to up grade to dually 5500.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:18 PM   #9

You don’t need a diesel to tow 10,000 lbs. A 3/4 ton truck will be fine. A Super Duty with gas engine and 4:30 axles has a rating for a 15 k fifth wheel. I think about 12-13 k trailer. If you think you may go to a fifth wheel then the diesel would be a good option. If not don’t waste your money. Remember that the price difference between a 250 and 350 is about $1500. That gets you a lot more payload. The crew cab is great for a family. Good luck.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
You don’t need a diesel to tow 10,000 lbs. A 3/4 ton truck will be fine. A Super Duty with gas engine and 4:30 axles has a rating for a 15 k fifth wheel. I think about 12-13 k trailer. If you think you may go to a fifth wheel then the diesel would be a good option. If not don’t waste your money. Remember that the price difference between a 250 and 350 is about $1500. That gets you a lot more payload. The crew cab is great for a family. Good luck.

A super duty with a 6.2 gasser and 4:30 gears is a special order. Finding one on a lot is like finding a unicorn. I agree with the rest of your post. Additionally I wouldn't recommend a diesel on a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton as you will take a big payload hit.
nomad_archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:15 AM   #11

With two larger kids, spouse and driver I would think you would need the payload of the 3/4 ton when towing a 27 foot trailer. Think about 800+ plus of people in the truck as your kids get older. The 3/4 ton would give you the option of having gear in the truck bed when towing.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:46 AM   #12

Many have already commented on size of tow vehicle. I'll give my experience. Prior to buying my class A, I towed a 25 foot trailer with my 1/2 ton Suburban. The trailer fully loaded came in at 6k according to Cat scales. I think the gross limit was 6.5k

The Suburban handled it well and I had plenty of payload left. My only regret was buying that light of a trailer. It had no slides, and was built from foam, sticks and staples.

If you're looking at a 27 foot trailer with a gross weight of 6k, I can't imagine it being sturdy.

The floor on mine was made of a stressed skin panel, 5mm plywood, 2 inch foam and another 5mm plywood. In my opinion there were not enough steel supports, the floor flexed from day one. Eventually, water got in where the wall meets the floor and the floor disintegrated. Once the foam and glue got wet it was all over.

So I guess my point is be careful picking a trailer. I'd have been better off with a 3/4 ton Suburban and a better made trailer.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_archer View Post
A super duty with a 6.2 gasser and 4:30 gears is a special order. Finding one on a lot is like finding a unicorn. I agree with the rest of your post. Additionally I wouldn't recommend a diesel on a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton as you will take a big payload hit.
You’re right I ordered it that way. I think the new 7.3 will mean more people can avoid having to go diesel. At a certain weight you need to though.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:54 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
What brand do you like? How much do you want to spend? It's going to be a 3/4 ton with 4 people and all the stuff. It's not just power, it's stopping and control. You really don't "need" a diesel but they are great. The "perfect" rig would be a Ram Mega-cab diesel. So much room the kids will love it. The new ones have the 6.4 gas & 8 speed trans. Get the 4.10 diff gears if you go gas. The diesel is a $9K option. Get what you will keep a long time.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing, truck pull required