Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2018, 07:12 PM   #1

Looking to buy a travel trailer I can tow max 5000lb point in to the right direction

Hi All!

I'm new to the rving world. Looking to purchase a travel trailer, is there a brand that has less problems compared to other?

Also could someone explain this too me:

Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 2985
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) 335
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 3950
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 965

GVWR is the total lb with the vehicle wieght, dry hitch weight and cargo carrying capacity??
lekarebeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2018, 07:36 PM   #2

GVWR is the max a trailer can weigh, which equals the UVW and the CCC.
Hitch weight is included with the UVW, but it usually does not include batteries, and propane. Hitch weight subtracts from a tow vehicles payload rating.
Hopefully I answered what you were looking for.
We own a Lance and are very happy with. We have owned it a little over a year now and use it extensively with zero issues thus far.
There are other good brands and hopefully others will chime in.
Good Luck with your search.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:19 AM   #3

Lance makes the best light weight trailers. They have few models < 5,000lbs. Another trailer I like the build quality is Winnebago Micro Mini. Also some trailers < 5,000lbs.

I would recommend getting a trailer with a slide as that really makes the trailer bigger without adding length.

My 1st trailer was a 4,400lb. dry weight 2008 Gulfstream Streamlite 22 SLB without a slide. But I needed a full size truck to tow it as my Honda Ridgeline struggle to tow this trailer on the highway.

I like the Winnebago Micro Mini because of the quality fiberglass sides that can come in colors, red, blue, yellow, orange, and a few more as an option.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:56 AM   #4

If you are going to tow with a light vehicle (not a truck) don't believe anything that either the trailer dealer or the vehicle dealer will tell you about towing...

I don't know how many of my friends who have made the move to a light RV have hated the experience because of what they have read or have been told by either dealer... in all 3 cases, all of them either sold the RV and moved away from the RV life style or had to upgrade their SUV/Van/tow vehicle because it wouldn't perform on the open road pulling some of the hills you always encounter....

Its my personal opinion that all SUV's are rated incorrectly for the demands of towing an RV over any distance... if you just wish to be a weekend traveler with trips of 50 miles or less each way.. go for it... but towing longer distances will stress your tow vehicle to a point you won't feel safe...

I tow with a one ton truck, and tow my 5th wheel... my Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Hemi is rated at towing the 5000 lb trailer your taking about... when I tow with my Jeep, my 3500 lb (total weight) trailer with side by side... the Jeep is sluggish in its starts, stopping and of course the fuel economy drops 50%.... I would never attempt to tow with the jeep a trailer a full rated towing capacity... it would be a joke...

Just my thoughts....
Old 09-24-2018, 08:12 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Your true limitation is Cargo Carrying Capacity. You need to know what the CCC of your tow vehicle is, and how much the people, pets, and cargo you'll be carrying inside the tow vehicle will weigh. Subtract that weight of all your people, pets, and stuff from the CCC, and that is the tongue weight you can safely handle.

If the battery(ies), propane, etc., go on the tongue of the trailer, that's gonna add to the "dry" tongue weight. If you like to go to really out of the way places and need to carry all your water with you, water weighs roughly 8.4 pounds/gallon, and where is the water tank in the trailer?

It's more than just the big numbers, you gotta know how all the little numbers might restrict what trailer you buy.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:26 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check out the R-Pod models from Forest River.
Almost all of the have a slide out and are under 3000# unloaded.
I just purchased a 189...love it, and tow with a Ford Ranger.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelag View Post
I tow with a one ton truck, and tow my 5th wheel... my Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Hemi is rated at towing the 5000 lb trailer your taking about... when I tow with my Jeep, my 3500 lb (total weight) trailer with side by side... the Jeep is sluggish in its starts, stopping and of course the fuel economy drops 50%.... I would never attempt to tow with the jeep a trailer a full rated towing capacity... it would be a joke...
Maybe it's a difference in model years and trim, but my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Summit, 5.7L Hemi, 8sp tranny, airbag rear suspension, tow package) tows my 2018 2104S Rockwood Mini-Lite with really none of the problems you mentioned. I'm well within weight limits and the vehicle's quite responsive. I've towed over mountains (Blue Ridge type mountains) and it performed very well. You are correct about the gas mileage, 'cause I do take a hit there. But, the MPG hit I take isn't outside of the norm for any V8 SUV towing a brick. I wouldn't want to tow anything heavier as I'm within about 25lbs of my payload capacity when loaded, but otherwise she tows great.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:43 PM   #8

I'm also looking at small trailers. Does anyone here have experience with the new Little Guy Max?
GeorgiaMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:06 PM   #9

Looking to buy a travel trailer I can tow max 5000lb point in to the right direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by lekarebeauty View Post
Hi All!

I'm new to the rving world. Looking to purchase a travel trailer, is there a brand that has less problems compared to other?

GVWR is the total lb with the vehicle wieght, dry hitch weight and cargo carrying capacity??

First off, dont even consider the “dry” hitch weight yet...it is meaningless. As mentioned previously, your TT max possible weight is GVWR and equals UVW + CCC. Sometimes, the UVW is also called “dry weight” because that doesnt include water or propane. You will be amazed at how much all your camping stuff plus TT options will add up in weight so it is best to look at GVWR at this lower end of the TT weight market. For proper TT towing, your tongue/hitch weight should be 10-15% of total. Most people use 12-13%. For a GVWR of 3,950-lbs, hitch weight is then about 500-lbs. you will need to arrange your TT cargo when packing so that you achieve that magic 500-lbs.

Next, that 500-lbs has to be carried or “hauled” (not “towed” ... note the distinction) by your tow vehicle, TV. Add to that 75 to 100 lbs for a weight distributing hitch. Next add up all the people including driver, cargo, and stuff that will go on and into the TV. That total weight could easily be over 1,200-lbs for a family of 4 or more. That total weight cannot exceed your TV’s haul/cargo capacity as shown on your yellow sticker on the driver’s door jamb. Most crossover/unit-body “SUVs” have a cargo capacity of only 1,100 to 1,200-lbs. Additionally, you should check that you dont overload your rear axle capacity which is the limiting factor on most SUVs, especially crossover SUVs.

As an example, my 2006 V6 Ford Explorer (body on frame, not crossover like the current Explorer) has a tow capacity of 5,400-lbs, but still a cargo capacity of only 1,282-lbs. Using some of the towing calculators at the beginning of the Towing forum, I should stick with a TT in the 3,000 to 3,500-lbs “dry” range and no more for my family of 4-5.

Finally, if you plan on towing in mountains, you really dont want to be at your limits. Allow yourself some margin. Enjoy going camping and slow down and enjoy the drive too knowing that you are on the safe side of life. Happy Camping!
Old 09-29-2018, 03:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lekarebeauty View Post
Hi All!

Look at fiberglass RVs - great resale value.

The Fiberglass RV Community
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaMary View Post
I'm also looking at small trailers. Does anyone here have experience with the new Little Guy Max?
No direct experience with Little Guy, however most of what I've read is positive, (but pricey).

I'm watching and waiting for this new model from IntechRV called "Sol" all aluminum with Azdel walls inside, over 6' standup height inside, wet bath. Supposed to be in production shortly.
https://www.facebook.com/inTechRV/posts/919058631618383
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, trailer, travel, travel trailer