Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2016, 10:31 PM   #1

Looking to purchase a Keystone Passport 3220BH

I'm looking to buy a new bunkhouse from Keystone. It's the Passport Grand Touring 3220BH. My wife and I love this floor plan, especially with 3 little boys.

Anyone have reviews on this model/floor plan? Also, does anyone know of another RV manufacturer that has the same floor plan? The only one I've come up with so far around the same GVWR (7600 lbs) is a Bullet 308BHS, but Keystone makes this one too.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2016, 11:49 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club

Different RVs can be found in different parts of the country. Filling out your member profile or including that info in your signature can be very helpful to others when you ask some questions. There is also a topic thread for introductions that folks can refer to if there is any info there that might help us help you.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:48 AM   #3

In 2013 when I was shopping for a TT, every Keystone trailer I looked at had some signs of water leaks, on one the siding was delaminating. YMMV. The dealer said it would all be "fixed" on delivery...cushions and mattresses were very thin and not a lot or cabinets in the kitchen. I ran out of there.

Another very important characteristic is payload. We are a family of 3 with a 27' trailer and the scale showed we had 1650lbs of payload (water, clothes, propane, batteries, food, elec tongue jack, tv) . The manufacturer will not count tvs, propane, batteries, water etc... in their dry trailer weight and that will limit what you can carry. The end result is that you could end up overloaded and risk damage to tires and axles. A trailer that size should have about 2000lbs of usable payload. Also pay attention to the water tank capacity. The stated capacity usually includes the hot water tank but that is not usable water. A 30 gal talk with a family on 5 will last about 1 day if you take very short showers. In all honesty, a trailer of that size should be well over 10 000lbs fully loaded. Another warning sign is the 14" tires which are note adequate for a 7500lb trailer.

As a comparison look at the weights and capacities of this smaller trailer http://northwoodmfg.com/snow-river/snow-river-288bhs/

https://m.facebook.com/RV-Buyers-Bew...9691451377639/

http://keystone-rv.pissedconsumer.com
Old 02-04-2016, 11:14 PM   #4

Thanks for the input. I've been reading tons of reviews on different forums of many manufacturers of trailers that I'd be interested in. The comments are not specific to any one brand. It seems all many have good and bad reviews. The class of ultra lite trailers tends to bring in the most feedback. I'm assuming this is related to weight reduction designs. I've looked at bunk house models from Forest River, Cruiser RV, and Coachman, I've found many owners reporting both the positives and negatives.

Weight reduction is favorable to me. Most of our camping trips are long weekends at well provisioned camp grounds. Showers would be utilized only for our youngest (1 year old and toddler). It would be nice to have a larger fresh water tank but it's not a primary concern now. Maybe in a few years.

Pantry and cabinets are a necessity of course. Any unit I buy will have a dedicated vertical pantry.

Foam toppers for kid's bunks and a replacement mattress for the queen would be done day one. A good nights sleep is required.

Many of these ultra lites are equipped with 14 inch radials. Even with an upgrade aluminum rims and tires, they still are only 14 inch radials. 15" rims would be nice. Don't know if they tow safer? SOmeone could chime in on this one.

I guess everyone's objectives are different when hauling campers. For the most part, we're minimalists when it comes to packing.

I'm just looking for reviews and options on this particular 2 slide, ultra lite, bunkhouse floor plan. So far, the only 2 units I've found are manufactured by Keystone. There's also an option of a Happi-jack bunkhouse where the 2 double bunks retract upward when not in use. I think its Dutchman that makes these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcham View Post
In 2013 when I was shopping for a TT, every Keystone trailer I looked at had some signs of water leaks, on one the siding was delaminating. YMMV. The dealer said it would all be "fixed" on delivery...cushions and mattresses were very thin and not a lot or cabinets in the kitchen. I ran out of there.

Another very important characteristic is payload. We are a family of 3 with a 27' trailer and the scale showed we had 1650lbs of payload (water, clothes, propane, batteries, food, elec tongue jack, tv) . The manufacturer will not count tvs, propane, batteries, water etc... in their dry trailer weight and that will limit what you can carry. The end result is that you could end up overloaded and risk damage to tires and axles. A trailer that size should have about 2000lbs of usable payload. Also pay attention to the water tank capacity. The stated capacity usually includes the hot water tank but that is not usable water. A 30 gal talk with a family on 5 will last about 1 day if you take very short showers. In all honesty, a trailer of that size should be well over 10 000lbs fully loaded. Another warning sign is the 14" tires which are note adequate for a 7500lb trailer.

As a comparison look at the weights and capacities of this smaller trailer Northwood | Snow River 288BHS

https://m.facebook.com/RV-Buyers-Bew...9691451377639/

392 KEYSTONE RV complaints and reviews @ Pissed Consumer
Old 02-07-2016, 08:07 PM   #5

Hi Busterbrown, I'm also considering the Passport 3220 or possibly the 2920. Based on size, weight, price and amenities we haven't been able to find a better fit for our needs. We have two little girls and plan on spending the summer camping. I found a 2016 3220 for 22k but it's on the other side of the state. (I also live in SE Michigan). Were you able to find any more reviews on it?
Old 02-07-2016, 09:34 PM   #6

We owned a 2850RL and loved it. Sold it to some friends last year and they love it as well. I was able to pull it with my 1/2 ton Chevy with no problems.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:45 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Most of the time pulling a TT is fine, it's during an emergency maneuver like stopping that deficiencies show up.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:58 PM   #8

Or driving down an 8% grade and the trannny overheats.

14" rims limit the load capacity of the tires. With a 7500lb trailer , you'll be close to to their limit.

Went through my notes, the other thing I had noted with the passports is that you cannot walk on the roof. Regular maintenance and inspection of the seals is what keeps water out. How do you do that if you can't walk on? Dealers and factories use work stands along the trailer sides.

I apologize for the negativity of my posts. From your comments it's obvious you're very interested in this layout. But a large ultralight trailer requires cutting so many corners that quality suffers and once the 1 year warranty is out, you could end up regretting it. Mdf in the floor leads to soft spots. Minimally spec'ed axles leads to bent axles. Thin roof with minimal insulation makes it hot on hot on hot days, cold on cold days. Will a single AC be sufficient? Is it a 15K ac? A lot of trailers designed to sleep 8 can only sit 4 at the table.

All I'm saying is take your time and understand what you are getting with an ultralight. Have you looked at slightly used 5th wheels?

The Jayco Eagle 31. 5fbhs might work well for your family. http://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2...heels/315fbhs/
Old 02-07-2016, 10:50 PM   #9

Ok, I did not have 3220, but spent 3 years and 3 cross country trips with 2650, currently have 2670. These trailers come from the same factory, had more similarities than differences, probably about 80% the same.
1. It is simply impossible to find anything of the same size/amenities with the same or less weight. All other trailers will carry weight penalty, except may be the Apex which is very close to the Passport in term of weight.
2. Structural solidity of the Passport is outstanding, I simply don't understand why people buy old school wood frame TTs
3. Tow ability is great, hitch weight is where it should be for a half-ton and it is easy to load the trailer in balanced fashion, so the weight on TV will not increase dramatically; the propensity for sway is very low, it is stable at any speed, but good WD and sway control are essential. These trailers are big and catch a lot of wind
4. Small issues - this is another story. Here Passports are as good or as bad as the other trailers. Some of the issues are Keystone's fault, the others are due to suppliers. My old unit had a leak in the wardrobe area, which was a surprise, but it was fixed under warranty. My new unit got burnt water heater after about 2 weeks of use (electric part only, still works on propane).
5. Tires. I expected full 3 years of service, but had no problems with them for only 35 (!) months, this summer I had hard time on the road, when 1 Blow Max delaminated and in 300 miles the spare on it's place delaminated as well. The moral of the story: for the new unit I will put Maxxis in 2 years or sooner.
6. Why I upgraded the 2650 for a basically same trailer? Mostly, because my daughter outgrew the narrow bunk; with full size 2670 bunk she is really happy. And we got a bigger TV and kitchen countertops and slightly more space in the bathroom, not to mention an outdoor kitchen.
Good luck
Old 02-15-2016, 08:28 PM   #10

Looking to purchase a Keystone Passport 3220BH

We purchased a 3320BH two years ago now. All said, we do not regret the purchase.

We've put at least 4000 miles on the unit so far, and have had zero mechanical issue. Where we park the trailer requires backing up a serious hill that heavily articulates the frame and suspension. Trust me, the frame is rigid. It has been up and down this hill at least 20-30 times now, and has shown zero signs of damage or movement, or distortion on any surface. My truck's cab, is not quite the same story. This hill is serious enough to require going into 4x4 low if the dirt is even lightly wet.

I could go on forever about it, but the point is that so long as you have a good WD hitch and a good brake controller, it tows great with a 1/2 ton rated and loaded properly. Is it borderline compared to other non-ultra light TT's?, yes, but it's an ultra light, it's going to be borderline, it's part of the business of large ultra lights. You've got to give up something somewhere. Pay attention to your payloads and get it weighed regularly, and it will suit you and your family great, or get a more traditional TT and a 3/4 ton and not worry about any of it (within reason). It's all $$.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:25 PM   #11

Check out the BH's for the following . KZ Sportsmen, Spree, Spree Connect and Venture Sporttrek. Coachmen Apex and Freedom Express.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:28 PM   #12

Google Keystone reviews you will find plenty.. and a lot of them not so good....Keystone makes about 30+ Travel trailers of different names... and there is a Keystone Forum as well.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaPilot View Post
We purchased a 3320BH two years ago now. All said, we do not regret the purchase.

We've put at least 4000 miles on the unit so far, and have had zero mechanical issue. Where we park the trailer requires backing up a serious hill that heavily articulates the frame and suspension. Trust me, the frame is rigid. It has been up and down this hill at least 20-30 times now, and has shown zero signs of damage or movement, or distortion on any surface. My truck's cab, is not quite the same story. This hill is serious enough to require going into 4x4 low if the dirt is even lightly wet.
That's great to hear. I ended up putting a down payment on the Bullet 308BHS as it had solid interior doors (not curtains), more pantry space, and aluminum wheels. I think that Keystone customers make more noise than customers from other manufacturers just due to the shear volume of units that are sold under the "Keystone" brand. Proportionally aligned, ratings across the spectrum of TT brands are probably a dead heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaPilot View Post
I could go on forever about it, but the point is that so long as you have a good WD hitch and a good brake controller, it tows great with a 1/2 ton rated and loaded properly.
Yes, Last year, I purchased an Eas-lift WD setup with sway control. I still have it new in the box from Amazon. But after doing more research on the importance of sway control, I like the idea of active sway control in the Blue Ox setup. It should be here next week, in time for my walk-though and delivery come Mid March. I also purchased and installed a Prodigy 3 brake controller last summer. Haven't had the chance to use it yet. You're right about load balancing though. Get it right and towing becomes enjoyable.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown1 View Post
I'm looking to buy a new bunkhouse from Keystone. It's the Passport Grand Touring 3220BH. My wife and I love this floor plan, especially with 3 little boys.

Anyone have reviews on this model/floor plan? Also, does anyone know of another RV manufacturer that has the same floor plan? The only one I've come up with so far around the same GVWR (7600 lbs) is a Bullet 308BHS, but Keystone makes this one too.
I was in the same exact spot as you last year at this time with both these trailers. I went with the 3220 only for the price. I ended up going through General RV and they didn't have any 308BHS's. I'm happy with the purchases. The only complaint is the concrete slab for a mattress. Had some warranty work done, but I have been real picky and have taken it in for anything and everything to get it done under warranty. I pull mine with an F150 and have had no problems.

Enjoy!

Tags
purchase