Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #1

low wattage bulbs????

Hi,

I am getting ready to take my 99 Jayco Eagle to the beach for a week. This will be only the second time that I have taken it out since purchasing it about a year and a half ago. It is in wonderful shape and we are looking forward to it. I do have two questions though about light bulbs in the little ceiling fixtures.

Question 1.....The fixtures call for using a 12 volt 921 bulb. I do have some extras as replacements. I also found some GE 12 volt 912 NH bulbs. They look exactly like the 921's and work, as I tried one. The package of the 912 NH indicates that they are brighter. Does anyone know the difference in these two and if it is OK to use the 912's in my fixtures?

Question 2.....We have two of the little ceiling fixtures on the underside of the cabinet over the bed just above where we sleep. I suppose these are mostly for reading and the like. Are there lower wattage bulbs that would not be so bright?

Thanks for any input.

Alex

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2010, 05:13 PM   #2

If they are filament bulbs, and are brighter I would guess they are pulling more current, and would generate more heat. This could be a problem if it gets hot enough to melt the plastic covers. I have tried a few of the led bulbs and they seem to be ok. You do need to know that not all led bulbs are equal. They come in different color temperature ranges and some are very white while others have a warmer look to them . Its all in what you like I guess. The led lights are much easier on the batteries if boondocking.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:15 PM   #3

12 v bulbs

Be vary careful about using brighter bulbs as stated they create more heat and can ruin a fixture real quickly. I have changed all of my lighting to LED and really like them. Not cheap but real stingy on power drain. My whole rig lighting now runs on the same current as one fixture used to use.
All LEDs are sure not the same for sure. I suggest staying away from the blue colored light as it is not bright enough to replace the filament bulbs.
Good camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANiforos View Post
Hi,

I am getting ready to take my 99 Jayco Eagle to the beach for a week. This will be only the second time that I have taken it out since purchasing it about a year and a half ago. It is in wonderful shape and we are looking forward to it. I do have two questions though about light bulbs in the little ceiling fixtures.

Question 1.....The fixtures call for using a 12 volt 921 bulb. I do have some extras as replacements. I also found some GE 12 volt 912 NH bulbs. They look exactly like the 921's and work, as I tried one. The package of the 912 NH indicates that they are brighter. Does anyone know the difference in these two and if it is OK to use the 912's in my fixtures?

Question 2.....We have two of the little ceiling fixtures on the underside of the cabinet over the bed just above where we sleep. I suppose these are mostly for reading and the like. Are there lower wattage bulbs that would not be so bright?

Thanks for any input.

Alex
Old 10-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #4

Yes lower wattage 12V bulbs are available. Take one of your present ones to an automotive parts store and request a lower wattage. If the counter salesperson knows their business they know which catalog to consult. Several different wattage bulbs are made with the same base. Usually these are single contact bulbs.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANiforos View Post
Hi,

Alex
The 921 and 912 are interchangable, both T-5 bulbs with a wedge base. The difference between the two bulbs is the wattage and amperage use. The 921 has a wattage of 16.8 and draws 1.4 amps. The 912 is 12 watts and draws 1 amp. So the 921 should burn brighter than a standard 912 bulb. The only thing I could find on the 912NH is that is was listed as 13W but didn't give an amp draw and was listed as having 20% 'brighter light'.

All my lighting fixtures have a small label attached near the bulb socket, it will usually list the bulb size or do not exceed. Not knowing the bulb size, I would not be able to suggest a replacement bulb that will reduce the wattage and thus lower light output. If you can give the bulb number from the label or bulb...I will try and give you something that might work.

If it's like mine it has a 1141 bulb that burns at 18.4 watts. Might try a 1003, which should fit the base and runs at 11.4w.

workhorse
Old 10-03-2010, 09:59 AM   #6
GPW

I'd like to change all my bulbs for LEDs in/on the trailer, Taillights too ... Anybody have a good source ...???
Old 10-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #7

Thanks for all the input concerning my question. Maybe next summer I will invest in some LED's.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPW View Post
I'd like to change all my bulbs for LEDs in/on the trailer, Taillights too ... Anybody have a good source ...???
You can try a Google search for LED 12v rv bulbs and that should give you other options.

Here are a few: Tweety's, Super Bright LED.com and another from Super Bright for RV and Boats.

Probably not something for every application...but just a matter of time.

workhorse
Old 10-04-2010, 05:25 AM   #9
GPW

Thanks for the links !!!