Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2016, 10:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPr View Post
If I have loosened them, I check them every gas stop. They do settle in.

Once they stay tight I usually check them before each trip.
X2

Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2016, 10:49 PM   #16

Excel Owners Club
A year plus back I replaced my axles and hubs, kept the same wheels & tires. I use a decent torque wrench for the adjustments. I had notable lug movement after the first 5, 10, 50 & 100 miles. Then they started to settle-in. After perhaps the first 700 miles I seldom see any movement. I still check them every morning before I hit the road as peace of mind. I also check the tire pressures at the same time. Once in a while one lug will move a little before the click.

I use a TPMS system for tire pressures/temps, but I still check the pressure before the trailer moves from a cold start. I can top off any tire with my CO2 system while in the campground as opposed to stopping and trying top off a warm/hot tire.

Don't forget to repeat the torquing sequence every time a wheel is pulled for any reason. Store your torque wrench in accordance with its instructions.

rarebear.nm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:55 AM   #17

You made me do it!
Old 07-22-2016, 07:59 AM   #18

Once a trip
Old 07-25-2016, 11:56 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyringo View Post
You made me do it!
Ha !!
MBirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:28 PM   #20

I find it interesting that they tell you to check the torque after 50 miles. At the point the trailer is at the dealer, it's already got hundreds of miles on it, and what are the chances that the transport company stopped 50 miles from the factory to check the torque on all of the lug nuts? Ha!
Old 07-25-2016, 10:14 PM   #21

I check mine before every trip, I also test the air in the tires at this time (including the spare)
Old 07-26-2016, 02:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_sos View Post
I find it interesting that they tell you to check the torque after 50 miles. At the point the trailer is at the dealer, it's already got hundreds of miles on it, and what are the chances that the transport company stopped 50 miles from the factory to check the torque on all of the lug nuts? Ha!
My thoughts exactly !! I bought mine at an RV show which is at least a 250 mile round trip from the dealer. Plus, I have towed it at least 600 miles. Checked the lug nuts last night and they were still bang-on.
MBirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:59 PM   #23

Check them before a trip and at our first stop. I hate surprises on the highway....
Old 07-26-2016, 09:22 PM   #24

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I have new tire installed I will torque about 100 to 200 miles.
I then just check at the start of the season along with air pressure.

Why would it be different than any other vehicle?
Old 07-26-2016, 09:43 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_sos View Post
I think they place the same sticker on all trailers. I have seen some of the smaller trailers delivered on a lowboy.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:24 AM   #26

Excel Owners Club
As I stated above I check the torque and pressure every morning before hitting the road. Very cheap insurance and I never have had any tire issues doing it this way. Milage for others may vary! I know from experience that the lug nuts may need to be cinched down from time to time. The side wall stress on tandem tires is quite different from single axle configs in turns. More so in tight turns. There are plenty blogs and videos about this. This lateral force can affect the lugs nuts and bearings. If a transport driver loses a tire its not my problem, they will do as they will. If I lose a tire its a BIG issue to me. I just consider good driving practices includes risk management. Enjoy your travels.

rarebear.nm is online now   Reply With Quote