Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2014, 09:01 AM   #1

Lug nuts-you won't believe this

We were pulling off i25 on the Colorado/New Mexico state line yesterday afternoon and saw a dually pulling a fiver. The rig was stopped on the ramp. The driver said they had a rear tire just repaired in Trinidad (few miles north) and they had JUST LOST BOTH DRIVER'S SIDE REAR WHEELS. yep, I couldnt believe it, they were sitting there with the drivers side hub on the road.

They said they had used a sood sam (I assume ERS) dispatched company to repair the tire and then 10mi later both wheels fall off. One of the great things about good sam ers is that they will tow your trailer to a nearby park so you can stay there while your tow vehicle gets repaired.

Word to the wise, watch the shop torque your wheels!

bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
And if you have aluminum rims most shops will caution you to have the lug nuts re-torqued to specs after 100 miles of road travel.

I have not ever had to have them re-torqued but I guess it could happen.

Anyone else have experience with aluminum rims?

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 07-25-2014, 09:34 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I've had tires replaced and others removed for inspection but I've never had the lug nuts retorqued to specs. I have aluminum Accuride wheels.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:07 AM   #4

Reminds me of the story comedian Ron White tells of a tire repair on his van at Sears......drove it and the wheel fell off..
Old 08-15-2014, 02:21 AM   #5

Warning ....turn down your volume, this is loud.....also some crude language, but very funny.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:38 PM   #6

I drive a big rig and we have to have it re-torqued within 50 - 100 miles every time we have a tire replaced/repaired. I have had wheels come of just a few miles from getting a repair done. Now they make you sign off on watching a mechanic torque the lugs. I check the lugs with a torque wrench on my TT before every trip. I also check the temp. of the tires and hubs every time I stop just like I do in a big rig. I have found quite a few problems over the years. Last Xmas we went to Key West. I had all my bearings replaced and brakes adjusted before the trip by the dealer. 100 Miles into the trip I stopped and one wheel was red hot. The brakes were out of adjustment. If I hadn't checked it I have no doubt I would have had a serious problem on down the road. BTW, I backed the brake off and everything was fine. P.S. If one lug isn't torqued right it will work loose followed by every other lug working loose until the wheel either comes completely off or breaks off.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:56 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This does not (usually) apply to RVs too much but a car my daughter drive had Mag-Alum rims.. The dealer did a brake job and forgot to tell her that she needed to come back so they could re-torque the wheels, one came off, Dealer ate over 2000 in damage to the car..(Not all will do that).
Old 09-22-2014, 12:17 PM   #8

The two tire stores , I've dealt with recently , have the re-torque warning printed on every invoice.
But for the wheels to come off in 10 miles.
JMHO: they were not installed properly in the first place.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:22 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
The two tire stores , I've dealt with recently , have the re-torque warning printed on every invoice.
But for the wheels to come off in 10 miles.
JMHO: they were not installed properly in the first place.

+1 on the above. Looks like they did not have the wheels in the air and torqued while not flat against the hub

Stefan, Nicole, Ian, and the pups, Marty, Itsa, Kaiser, and Indar...
2004 Pace Arrow 37c. '13 Tahoe Toad!!
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: Tahoe or 2500HD, BrakeBuddy Classic
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
And if you have aluminum rims most shops will caution you to have the lug nuts re-torqued to specs after 100 miles of road travel.

I have not ever had to have them re-torqued but I guess it could happen.

Anyone else have experience with aluminum rims?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I just purchased my TT. Torqued the wheels before my maiden trip, nearly all 24 of the lug nuts required some turning before torque was reached. Several were so loose, I had to re position the torque wrench and on a couple, I had to re position it twice.

After driving around 130 miles, I'd say about 5 or 6, (at least 1 on each of the 4 wheels), turned a bit before torque was reached.

I will be checking torque before every trip. And for while, every 3-400 miles (my fuel tank range), at least until I notice no turning required for torque to be reached.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:27 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
This reminds me of a concern of mine... I've watched a couple of shops install my tires and rims and did not see them torque the lug nuts in, what I have learned is the proper way to torque wheels... the "star" pattern rather than to torque around the circumference of the wheel. Has this thinking changed, or are the installers ignorant of the proper technique? Two of the shops were tire shops that worked on trucks and should know the proper technique.

Thanks...this thread reminds me that I should have my wheels re-torqued since I had my new duals installed.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:56 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo View Post
This reminds me of a concern of mine... I've watched a couple of shops install my tires and rims and did not see them torque the lug nuts in, what I have learned is the proper way to torque wheels... the "star" pattern rather than to torque around the circumference of the wheel. Has this thinking changed, or are the installers ignorant of the proper technique? Two of the shops were tire shops that worked on trucks and should know the proper technique.

Thanks...this thread reminds me that I should have my wheels re-torqued since I had my new duals installed.

The star pattern is still recommend by all
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: Tahoe or 2500HD, BrakeBuddy Classic
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:45 PM   #13

I use to be an auto tech. The dealer didn't eat it, the tech who worked on the car did.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:04 PM   #14

Sometime ago, I bought tires at a big-name discounter. They offered free mounting if you weren't in and out in an hour. I watched the young punks acting silly and very immature. It got so silly that I wandered around the store to pass the time. The hour and more passed, but I had to argue my case anyway. I finally got the free mounting because of the time frame. I left the store and drove 30 miles home. The next day I was washing my truck and discovered that every lug nut was loose ( only hand-tightened). These days I always hand check my lug nuts. Just don't trust people and always verify for yourself. On another note, I check my dipstick after an oil change too. I heard a horror story from a woman who had an oil change, drove away only to have the car stop after a short distance. The oil had been drained but not re-filled and the engine was toasted.