Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2016, 09:18 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix View Post
Thank you for all your nice comments rideandslide. The truck is a 5.7ltr HEMI engine. The gearing ratio is the stock ratio. I didn't even change it to the higher ratio for more torque less speed. I'm using this as a daily driver so that was a no brainer. The truck as ample power to haul my trailer. It can do almost 10,000 lbs so at 4300+stuff I'm sure it will suffice.
half ton trucks will never be able to tow the rating they list as they will be maxed on all the other ratings(tongue, payload, axles, etc.) long before they hit the 10k. Oh it can physically tow it overloaded but the risk is handling, damage or premature wear. You can get 3/4 ton trucks with the same engine in the half ton but can handle so much more weight due to the frame/suspension/tires/axles/transmission. The 10k number is probably the least important of all the things one should look at.

As far as backing up goes, go slow. Super slow. You can pay attention to how the trailer responds based upon what you do with the steering wheel. I have my wife guide me in and I tell her what I want her to look for. Mainly the pivot point on the trailer and how long after she tells me to move the trailer a certain direction that it actually goes that direction as the longer the trailer the greater the delay. Once she figured that out between the two of us I can get it backed it super easy. The only issue is when i'm in a rush and feeling over confident and go too fast.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2016, 12:31 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Something to seriously think about is how fast you're towing.
120KM =74.5MPH. You ST trailer tires aren't rated for that speed. You shouldn't be going over 65mph.
Holy c&@ I did not know that. Thank you soooo much for pointing that out. I will be much more careful in future and stay below the 65mph limit for the tires.

Yikes! !

TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:34 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBirch View Post
We will be on The Island mid-August. A little shocked by the price of the ferry once you're over 20 foot. Going to cost is $500.
Wow yes I know... it's daylight robbery for sure.

So my TT is classed as just under 20ft but overall is 23.5ft. What measurement do they go by?

And btw we are there mid august too.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:50 PM   #32

It depends on where you are located. Country, province, state, it can all vary. Typically trailers are referred to by the overall length, bumper to hitch. That's also what you go by when picking campsites. However different parks list those sites different as well.
Most dealers list trailers that way and not by the interior space. But again, it can vary.
My guess on a ferry where space is a premium it's going to be the total length.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:42 PM   #33

Quote:
Here are some more pics that I didn't include as I can only post 10 at a time....
all of it is gorgeous! Great job!!
BethV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:53 PM   #34

Congrats on the new rig! I'll throw my .02 in on backing. Another little helpful tip, always try backing in towards the drivers side whenever possible. That's also stated on CDL tests.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:17 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
It depends on where you are located. Country, province, state, it can all vary. Typically trailers are referred to by the overall length, bumper to hitch. That's also what you go by when picking campsites. However different parks list those sites different as well.
Most dealers list trailers that way and not by the interior space. But again, it can vary.
My guess on a ferry where space is a premium it's going to be the total length.
That made total sense when u think about overall space I'm taking up on a ferry etc. Thank you.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:20 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethV View Post
all of it is gorgeous! Great job!!
Thanks Bev, you're so sweet 😆

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewehrum View Post
Congrats on the new rig! I'll throw my .02 in on backing. Another little helpful tip, always try backing in towards the drivers side whenever possible. That's also stated on CDL tests.
10-4. That's the way I've always been taught for any reversing whenever possible. However... I really do suck at TT reversing. Man I can parallel park my vehicles with my eyes closed. After I finish all my mods on the TT, I will take her out for practice again.
Just working on a undersink water filter right now.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:03 PM   #37

Nice looking rig and nice layout. I knew you would like the Andersen hitch. I'm dragging about 10,000 with mine and it does a great job. Just when you think you have everything on it you want.............oh look, that would be a neat addition!! LOL Enjoy. You've got it at the right time to start enjoying it.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:57 PM   #38

Very nice! Ultra lites keep getting better. My first back up with 90* turn resulted in cut electrical cord. Since that I always remove it from the socket before parking the trailer at the storage or campsite. I always stay within 60-65 mph corridor. Cant brag too much about power from 6 cyllinders, but somehow it is always sufficient to get the job of moving 6000 lb behind done.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:10 PM   #39

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hey, I've only got 6 cylinders, but it's never failed to get my 41,000 lb rig up any hill I've come across .
Old 05-04-2016, 08:45 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Wow yes I know... it's daylight robbery for sure.

So my TT is classed as just under 20ft but overall is 23.5ft. What measurement do they go by?

And btw we are there mid august too.
They will take a tape out and measure the entire rig from bumper to bumper for the ferry length.

As far as backing up the drivers side is the best side. One of the fellows who I am in awe of takes a wood block and places it beside where he wants the tires on the trailer to end up. The block is placed about 8.5 feet from the pad at the campsite. He just steers the truck so the trailer tires end up beside the block. He has someone to spot for trailer swing and obstacles but when the tires are beside the block the trailer is parked. If he is backing up and the tires are not looking like they will hit the right spot he stops, goes ahead and then changes direction.

IMO it is easier to back up if you have a point of reference to aim at. If you see the trailer is turning too fast slow up the turn by reducing the angle of the truck, if it is too slow increase the angle. With a bit of practice you will find turning the truck can become natural just like backing the truck up by itself. It is easier if you practice enough to be natural. Having to think about it before you provide steering input can be frustrating.

IMO the backing up process is either in a straight line or in a curve. The curve can vary so the trailer tires will end up in the spot you want it to. Trailer width does not change so if the tires on the drivers side end up on the spot you want them to the other side will be where you want it to be. The main thing to think about is not to overthink things. Go slow and get out often to check your position and look for obstacles. If things are not going right, stop, pull ahead and then start over. A bit of practice and it will become easier.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:35 PM   #41

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Holy c&@ I did not know that. Thank you soooo much for pointing that out. I will be much more careful in future and stay below the 65mph limit for the tires.

Yikes! !

The max speed with be ON the tire it's self if you haven't arleady noticed. My ST tires are rated to 75 MPH, but with my Trailblazer that's like 1 gallon per mile so I stay at 65-68 sweet spot for around 10 - 11 MPG unless I hit the passes here in Colorado which I tested out last weekend with a drive around with the trailer. Then it's a 45 - 50 mph grind to 11k+ feet in third gear....lol

Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote