Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2001, 06:27 PM   #1

Hi all,

We finally went on Saturday to pick up our 1998 Sprinter, it is waranteed for 3 months from pick up. We had bought it in November and had them store it until the weather cooperated. When we got there and went over to get started on the walk through, it was the WRONG trailer. OK, that should have been a hint of things to come. We had to wait around for 5 hours before ours was "ready". It was bad also that they had NO hitch bars or balls since they had taken all of the ones from the parts department because all the New trailers were at a show and hence we had to go find one somewhere else.

After getting there at 10, we finally left at 3:45pm. Got it home no problem. The hubby then got started on the Hensley hitch which is project by itself.

Well this afternoon, Wednesday, they call us to say that our parts are in and we have to bring the trailer back. HUH? I knew they had to get a new crank for the TV antenna and two lug nut covers but that was all we knew. It seems that both the grey water and black tanks are cracked or ruptured and they had to order new ones and they came in. Again HUH? We knew NONE of this when we bought it, they told us it had checked out great and there were no problems at all.

I am so angry I could spit. The hubby is not happy either to say the least since we still haven't finished putting on the Hensley and can't get it back to the dealer tomorrow like they want.

Do any of you have any advice? I am definately going to push for being compensated for their screw ups. If I had my way, I'd get a full refund! I traded in a perfectly good 2 year old pop up that had no problems at all. And now I have a trailer I can't even use. Please help me with what I should do next?

Thanks for any and all help.
Nell

1998 Keystone Sprinter
2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 LT
NY

2002 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 quad cab
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2001, 06:27 PM   #2

Hi all,

We finally went on Saturday to pick up our 1998 Sprinter, it is waranteed for 3 months from pick up. We had bought it in November and had them store it until the weather cooperated. When we got there and went over to get started on the walk through, it was the WRONG trailer. OK, that should have been a hint of things to come. We had to wait around for 5 hours before ours was "ready". It was bad also that they had NO hitch bars or balls since they had taken all of the ones from the parts department because all the New trailers were at a show and hence we had to go find one somewhere else.

After getting there at 10, we finally left at 3:45pm. Got it home no problem. The hubby then got started on the Hensley hitch which is project by itself.

Well this afternoon, Wednesday, they call us to say that our parts are in and we have to bring the trailer back. HUH? I knew they had to get a new crank for the TV antenna and two lug nut covers but that was all we knew. It seems that both the grey water and black tanks are cracked or ruptured and they had to order new ones and they came in. Again HUH? We knew NONE of this when we bought it, they told us it had checked out great and there were no problems at all.

I am so angry I could spit. The hubby is not happy either to say the least since we still haven't finished putting on the Hensley and can't get it back to the dealer tomorrow like they want.

Do any of you have any advice? I am definately going to push for being compensated for their screw ups. If I had my way, I'd get a full refund! I traded in a perfectly good 2 year old pop up that had no problems at all. And now I have a trailer I can't even use. Please help me with what I should do next?

Thanks for any and all help.
Nell

1998 Keystone Sprinter
NY

Old 05-09-2001, 09:44 PM   #3

I can only say that if it was me, I would immediately ask for the owner/manager and lay it on the line. I would tell them that, based on their performance so far, you do not have much confidence in the product or their service. If they have any clue whatsoever, they will make ammends.

Cheers
Chris
http://roadfrog.irv2.com/

1999 Jayco Hawk 24BH
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V8

Chris
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 10:18 PM   #4

Could be they did not winterise it properly and the tanks were not drained. Spring thaw and they had a trailer leaking. as for new tanks , better than old ones. I would check the entire water system while it is at your house as if there are any other problems, leakes, leaking water heater, water pump, fresh water tank leaks so they can be taken care of while it is there nickel.
I would not be too concerned about equipment or items that they are replacing w/ new as they will have a longer life than the original parts.
Check out the electrical and do a good pre delivery inspection while in your posession. You can do a search as some where on the site is an inspection check sheet that is very intensive and will take 4 to 6 hrs and should uncover any deficencies in the unit. Return it to be repaired at your convience not theirs, they screwed up not you.
Good luck and hope it works out ok

Pullee - Y2k, Artic Fox, 5th
Puller - Y2k, 2500,SB, CTD, Pac Brake, auto, DTT vb/tc/tc saver, 4x4, Gear Vendors, 3:54's, Taylor Win
shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 04:24 AM   #5

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> When we got there and went over to get started on the walk through, it was the WRONG trailer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does the bill of sale have the VIN number of the trailer on it? Does it match the trailer's? If not, I'd say you have a void sale and the dealer should immediately refund all monies paid. If he refuses, a novel approach would be to contact a local TV station that does reporting on such consumer issues. I'm sure that you have a good case and once they investigate, he'll pay because he certainly won't want the bad publicity that the TV station will give him.

Good Luck.

1996 Ford HD F-250 SC SB PSD 5sp 4.10
2000 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS TT
1986 Coleman Laramie Pop-Up
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 12:03 PM   #6

Hi,

Ok, yesterday I got a phone call from the dealership again. This time- they REGISTERED THE WRONG trailer to us. I immediately called the main store and spoke to the vice president of the company. He had heard of the other two screw ups, but he agreed this was totally unacceptable.

After he did some investingating, he called us back. Seems that it all started with our salesman putting in the wrong number and this is how it got all out of hand. So here's what they have agreed to do.

1. Come to our house and tow the trailer back to the dealership to do a complete and thorough job of making sure that everything works and change over the tanks, then they will deliver it back to us.We have to take off the Hensley hitch we just put on so they can tow it over.

2. I went and did all the new paperwork for the trailer, correctly this time, I checked everything before I left. Also found out that they even had the year of the trailer wrong, it's a 1999 not 1998. So we at least paid less for this one.

3. They are going to give us a spare tire kit with attachment and cover. I figured it's a good compensation.

I did let the VP know that I am very unhappy and disturbed that all these mess ups have happened. I let him know that someone really dropped the ball at his dealership. So I will keep my fingers crossed that everything goes as they have planned. We really like this trailer and don't want to have to go shopping again for another. So keep your fingers crossed that this goes well and I can start camping here soon.

Thanks for all the great replies and will keep ya all updated.

Nell

1999 Keystone Sprinter
NY

Old 05-12-2001, 02:32 PM   #7

Keep all the notes you can possibly write. Names, write down what everyone tells you. Keep good records, we did, and we needed them. The Attorney General of your state can help too. We learned a lot from our last purchase. It is really ashame you sometimes have these problems. Just take a lot of notes and keep good records. Our problems were not with the RV, it was with the dealer. Write everything down.

Good luck

Steve and Evelyn

'00 Rockwood 27' TT & '01 Super Crew F150....2 minature Dachshunds....

Southstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 03:48 PM   #8

Steve's suggestion about the notes is right on. Make them absolutely factual and unemotional and include names and places. And be sure to date them.

I'm not a fan of threatening initially since that forces an adversarial situation which means you'll get as little as they forced to deliver. What you want is for them to do the right thing and it's more likely to happen if you can find the right person - perhaps the VP you talked to for example. The notes and threats are a last resort to bring out as a trump card. It's the old saying 'speak softly, but carry a big stick'.

Much as this philosophy is personally hard sometimes to follow, I've found over the years it works best in the long run.

IHMO

Tony Howard

'87 Suburban 3/4T w/ modified HT502 / Edelbrock MPFI / GearVenders / 3.73's
Pulling a pampered 1991 26' Prowler Regal TT
Tony H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 08:15 PM   #9

I've seen articles in the Good Sam and Trailer Life magazines where people write a letter telling of the issues, including any pertinate information or notes, and they call the problem dealer or whomever on behalf of the writer. Usually the problem gets fixed fast since the dealer gets the message that this is Good Sam or Trailer Life on the line calling about so and so's problem we published in our magazine with a zillion subscriptions and we'd like to publish that you took care of it in a proper manner. Food for thought. Kurt

'99 F-250 diesel, '91 Airstream Excello 29'
Old 05-15-2001, 05:27 AM   #10

Hi all,

Thanks for all the great suggestions about taking the notes, I have done all that and have it ready to send off the the proper channels if I have to.

They came yesterday and got the camper. I talked with the tech and he is personally taking care of it. He couldn't understand how the mix ups happened either- he's been working on campers for 15 years. He said right now the GM has been more interested in selling boats and getting them ready than taking care of the RV business. He got a new rear end from the VP from what I was told about this whole thing with our camper.

So now we should be getting it back here in a few days. I gave them a written list of everything that needs to be done. Keep your fingers crossed.

At least I get to satisfy the camping urge this weekend, I am going with my Girl Scout troop in tents. First I have to graduate college Thursday. I really need to go camping at this point!

Thanks again,
Nell

1999 Keystone Sprinter
NY

Old 05-15-2001, 06:07 AM   #11

First, congrates to your graduation.Although I did not have any major issues with my trailer at pickup,I am a little sour at the whole procedure
of the way I was treated after I signed on the dotted line.When we were negotionateing the deal the salesman called back right away when I had a question,now I get transfered to upteen departments till I get the response I need.I wish I had found this board before I signed.I missed alot on the pdi.I am now compiling a list and in a month or so I will bring it back to the dealer and get it all fixed .All the little things are starting to add up.The problem now is how do I prove these things were broken at p/u I'm fairly sure the dealer would stand behind me but will still be on the defense My next purchase wont be a learning expierience like my first

frankie
99 dodge ram 4x4
2001 springdale tbl 26'
http://frankie.irv2.com

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 06:22 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd have asked for a new trailer, I'd be afraid something else is messed up, hidden damage. The holding tanks aren't easy to remove and replace, it's a major rebuild to access the vent and drain lines,etc.

Good Luck, I hope it works out for you!!

Mike T, Wife and Pheobe , the 4 lb Wonder Dog!!! ( we wonder if it is a dog)

97 Southwind Storm 31W, 96 Chevy P30 Chassis,
with 96 Merc Mystique (mistake) in tow

Retired from AT&T waiting for wife to retire
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 02:41 PM   #13

What was the ultimate outcome?