Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2016, 01:48 PM   #1

Mallard TT

I was at Camping World today and saw a 2016 Mallard M27. I think it's built by Heartland. Possibly a brand built just for Camping World? Does anyone know anything about them?

I like the floor plan and the construction I can see. A quick internet search didn't trun up much, but I'm not super computer savvy.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
tooltruckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2016, 12:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltruckguy View Post
I was at Camping World today and saw a 2016 Mallard M27. I think it's built by Heartland. Possibly a brand built just for Camping World? Does anyone know anything about them?

I like the floor plan and the construction I can see. A quick internet search didn't trun up much, but I'm not super computer savvy.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
You are correct. The Mallard is a Heartland brand (a division of Thor Industries) built in Elkhart, Indiana. And their primary dealer is Camping World. We took a tour of Heartland's fifth wheel manufacturing (Big Horn, Big Country and Landmark 365) and were impressed with their methods and quality. If you really want to know what you're getting, take a tour:

Factory Tours

I'm not sure why they have a Canadian website address:
Official Mallard RV in Canada | Mallard RV Canada
Old 10-17-2018, 03:25 PM   #3

Heartland Mallard Good or Bad?

Now that its been a few years since the Mallard came out any updates on its quality from actual buyers?

I'm shopping on line looking at reviews and videos on travel trailer brands. The Mallard M27 is a fantastic design.

But I keep seeing so many reviews on line and on YouTube about it. Does anyone here have any input on the Mallard Travel Trailer? I'm looking at the 2014 0r 15 M27 or M25.
MtGrlTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Folks View Post

I'm not sure why they have a Canadian website address:
Official Mallard RV in Canada | Mallard RV Canada
Zombie thread but no matter, it's because there are authorized Heartland dealers in Canada.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtGrlTravels View Post
Now that its been a few years since the Mallard came out any updates on its quality from actual buyers?
Can't help you with your question but welcome to iRV2.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:44 AM   #6

Thanks 60sumtin!
Old 10-20-2018, 08:08 PM   #7

We don't have a Mallard, but we do have a 2017 Heartland North Trail 26 RLSS. We took a tour of the Heartland factory in Elkhart Indiana in the summer of 2017. My husband was pretty impressed with how they build them. Granted, we haven't taken any other factory tours.

So far we've been full timing in our North Trail for almost 17 months and I must say we've been happy with how it has held up. When we first bought it, in the walk through everything was in working condition and there wasn't any construction flaws that we could see. Yes, nothing was wrong with it from the get go, which from what I've read on here is pretty unusual.

This past summer we had to call a repairman to come out to the campground as our refrigerator had quite cooling correctly. The day before that happened our campground kept losing power. The power went off 4 times in a 30 minute time frame. RV repairman showed my husband what needed to be done. Had to take the outside grill off and push a reset button. And it's worked fine ever since. Last month we were back in the Elkhart area visiting relatives and we were having 2 issues, one caused by my husband (LOL I won't go into that!!!) and the other issue ended up being our truck's brake controller, not anything to do with the travel trailer. But they showed us how to fix that problem and now everything is good again! So for being an Ultra lite TT, I think it has held up pretty darn good.

I don't know if they use lesser or higher quality or even the same quality standards of materials in the Mallard that they use in the North Trails. If I were you I would call Heartland and ask.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:56 AM   #8

Thank you for your response! I know that for the most part the only time someone posts or writes about any purchase its when its negative. There are very few positive comments on most trailers, its making me worried about buying one.

I plan to live full time in my next trailer. I'll be spending 1/3 of my savings to buy it, so its got to be a good one.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:50 AM   #9

Mallard M-27

My wife and I have a 2016 Mallard M-27. We've had only a few small issues with it. furnace was hot on back of right ankle when using the throne sitting. One of drawers in dresser didn't stay closed while traveling.
We are looking at trading our unit in for a 5th wheel as we're looking for a little more room inside as we plan to use it for much longer periods of time as we retire. We need the room as we seem to bring monsoon weather with us wherever we go camping.
I towed it the first year with an F-150 and it towed ok. I replaced the 150 with a 250 with an eye towards going to 5th wheel and it doesn't know trailer is back there.
Good luck with the Mallard.
tooltruckguy is offline   Reply With Quote