Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
Manual Help?

Hi, I am new to the site, I was wondering if someone could help me out with a few question regarding my camper that I purchased used.

I purchased a 1984 Resort(by Fleetwood), the individual I purchased the camper from said that it was a 15', it is a nice camper, however the main components were striped out, such as the water heater and pump, the furance and the holding tank. I am trying to get the camper in "working order", and I need to locate a manual. So, if someone could please help, I would appreciate it because I have tried to contact Fleetwood several times, and have not gotten anywhere.

joshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well you may get lucky by gooing to fleetwood's company web site, but I can tell you this.. The components you cite, Furnace, Water heater, even air conditioners and refrigerators (Technically they go by a different name but everybody calls them Refrigerators) are all more or less standard. Just measure the opening, note how air is ducted (on the furnace/heater) and pack your wallet.

Most RV forums (And I think this is one of em) have a library section with a list of RV-Salvage yards.. Might need a bit less packing in said wallet if you shop those.

IF you are unable to find a manual Check out either The RV BOOK, or The RV Owner's Handbook (I think that's the title) most RV stores have one or the other.

Generic owner's manuals.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:49 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The only thing you need an original Owner's Manual for is for the parts and components that Fleetwood manufactured specifically for that camper. And other than the frame and skin, that's probably few or none. As wa8yxm noted, you can use any RV parts that will fit. And you can even use some parts from Home Depot, such as faucets and water lines. Just like fixing things in your house, you need basic plumbing and electricial skills, with a smidgeon of carpentry and decorator skills. Unlike a house, your wiring is probably for both 110 volt and 12 volt and those are different. Most things are 12 volt, such as the water pump and lights, and the furnace fan motor. 110 volt is used for the AC and for the wall plugs. Your antique trailer probably doesn't have a microwave oven, but if you add one it will require 110 volt.

Spend some time on a good RV supplies website, and you'll pick up hints of what is available and how much it cost. RV components such as refrigerators cost a lot more than they do for a house. They have to run on both 12 volt when you're on the road and 110 volt when you have full hookups, and no ordinary kitchen refrigerator has to do that. Some even run on propane for boondocking without running down the batter(ies) in the rv. So the RV miodels cost more. One big RV supplier is

For example, note the variety of RV refrigerators they have available. Tiny 1.7 cu. ft. to huge 12 cu. ft., with or without ice makers, two-way or three-way (3-way means it can run on propane, 12-volt or 110-volt), cost from about $500 to over $3,000. The specs for each of the models include the dimensions you need to see if it will fit in the hole you have.

Of course, if the one you buy doesn't fit, then use your carpentry skills to make it fit, and use your decorator skills to make the hole where it fits look good.

Trailer axles. One big item to check on your antique trailer is the wheel bearings. It's no fun replacing a burned-up axle in the middle of nowhere (been there, done that). So you want excellent preventive maintenance to keep that from happening. Remove the wheel bearings, be sure they are perfect, then repack them by hand. If the wheel bearings are not perfect, then replace them with new ones. If the parts around the bearings, such as hubs and spindles, are not perfect, then I'd replace the hubs or entire axle assembly, depending on the brand of your axles. If you have Dexter axles, replace the hubs.
Trailer Hubs and Drums | etrailer.com

For Al-Ko axles, replace the entire axle assembly, including the hubs.
Trailer Parts from trailerpart.com
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote