Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-26-2015, 06:53 AM   #1
Red face Many questions few answers

First of all I am sure this has been asked before, and if you haven't deleted me already. I am curious about how people that own them are satisfied with their tear drop TT's (upper scale type), with telescoping roof.

What don 't you like? What are the positives. I am not new to RV'g, I have always owned motor homes. I want to down size and get back on the road after 5 year hiatus. Any and all information will be much appreciated. Pro and Con. Can you safely pull them with a full size pick up truck or van?

Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2015, 08:40 AM   #2
Question: Why something as small and cramped as a Tear Drop? You stated that your previous RV was a Motorhome...you are accustomed to having space and creature comforts...I'd predict that you might not be a happy camper in a tear drop.
You also should be checking with the manufacturer's specified tow rating for your specific vehicle and make sure you have a transmission cooler installed.
Good Luck.

Boomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:54 AM   #3
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Good for you Izzyblueye. Sorry I can't answer your questions but know from experience that you'll love that little camper. We own a 26' Timber Ridge which hauls very nice for a camper that size. But that's the problem "that size" because it takes us out of some of the best camping spots this country has to offer. Our favourite spot is back in the coulees where a small brook laughs at us as it flows past the tent. Yes you read right - a tent that sets up in the back of our half ton. DW and I do Staycations here in the province of Saskatchewan. They are one to two day trips right here within three hours of our home. We start planning the trip one to two months ahead.We research for things you wouldn't normally visit - small town museums, hide outs for Billy the Kid and petroglyphs (Indian carvings). We only have one rule in doing these - can't eat in a chain restaurant. It's Ma and Pa dining at the very best spots (once ate in a little town where all the street signs were in Ukrainian and picked the restaurant based on the number of senior's walkers that were parked outside. My wife is a scrapbooker and we'll fill a whole book with just one weekend trip.
"We were not placed on this earth to see through one another, but rather to see one another through!"
2013 Timber Ridge 260RLS, 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2L
kayakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:30 AM   #4
I looked at a few teardrops. They seem to include all the creature comforts you need for a weekend, but not sure about life on the road.
The biggest issue I found is the shower, or lack thereof. Not an issue if you like the bathhouse at the campground. Also, some require you to stow the bed just to turn around inside. Also, they lack height, so you usually can't stand up in one if you are tall.

Should be easy to tow by most 1/2 ton based vehicles, but would need specifics for both to really give any meaningful input.
2013 Winnebago 2301BH-Red
2012 Ram 2500 Megacab HO CTD
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:19 AM   #5
This would not be full time RV'g, just an occasional romp in the boonies. Towing is always a big concern. I have seen some promos on models that the roof elevates, which would give one head room. Most I have checked on have gray and black water tanks. At best showers would be wet type in bathroom. I am sure there are not a lot of them out there, but just I would get some feed back.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:23 AM   #6
If you don't mind cramped area's (compared to motorhomes) and no shower go for it and enjoy
2015 Salem 27RKSS
2015 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins CC 4X4
55' Bel-Air
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:18 PM   #7
From the ones that I have looked at they are a small hard sided pop up. You crawl inside to go to bed, you can't stand up, you have AC and a tv. Outside you have your kitchen but if it rains you will need a tarp. On the positive side you can probably tow it with anything and get it just about anywhere you would want to go. Good luck.

GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote