Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #1

May have totally messed up my 12v system...

Hi folks,
First post here....This past fall I just bought a surveyor tt from an elderly gent. Just before I picked it up he wired in a battery system shutoff at the battery box. I stored the batteries in a warm environment and had them checked and they were fine. I had removed the batteries late last fall. I labeled the batteries and replaced them as I took them out. Turns out he had them wired in series, is that correct? I had turned on some lights, they were really bright and blew out after a minute or 2, fan fuse in bathroom was blown. Should the batteries be wired in parallel? If so how much damage do you think I may have done....Any help would be appreciated.
kamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2014, 07:06 PM   #2

It depends on the batteries. 6 volts(3caps) in series. 12 volts (6caps) parallel.
markroblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:07 PM   #3

OUCH ! Yes the, 2 , 12v , batteries should be wired in parallel , Neg to Neg : Positive to Positive to achieve 12v only .

If you have put 24 v through your system, them any amount of damage can have gone on.
You have to install them correctly, and I hope the circuit boards in the fridge, A/C and furnace have not sustained damage.
About the only way is to hook up the batteries properly, replace bulbs and fuses as required and cross your fingers. Operate everything.
If you were not hooked to shore power ( 110v) shouldn't be a problem with inverter charger.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:08 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
6V's wire in series, 12's in parallel.

If you hooked up two 12's you may have blown out the few things that got turned on but no serious damage should be done unless you had refer boards, or water heater boards or something like that turned on.

Hook up correctly and test everything, you should be fine.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:44 PM   #5

When I checked it out to buy it we were connected to his house...
What I did with batteries in this incorrect configuration as I was checking things out for my first run.
1) Ran the slide in and out a couple of times.
2) Turned on some lights, changed a couple of bulbs that were burned. Was really impressed with the light they gave....momentarily.
3) turned on the stove fan for about 5 seconds...this thing is noisy.
4) fan in bathroom, fuse blown.
5) Momentarily hit the fridge on button. Light came on turned off.
6) Momentarily turned on water pump, shut it off as soon as I heard it.

Didn't try ac or heater. May have momentarily switched on water heater.

I went back to the camper and hooked it to one battery. Turned on fridge momentarily, system light came on.
Lights now have "normal light output.
Bathroom fan still works fine with new fuse.
Slide works fine.

Won't know if I messed anything else up until I get some water in it and try the heater and ac....Good Gosh...I'll be sweating till I check everything else out, and yes they are 12's.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:54 PM   #6

Relax. Take your time. Check everything out.
Most systems have a safety factor built in. Fuses are wonderful things.
Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

Mark and Cecelia
2014 cougar high country
markroblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:56 PM   #7

Do you have a multimeter? Is there a label on the batteries? Sounds like you've got some reading to do. Battery University dot com is a good start.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:10 PM   #8

I do have a multimeter but initially didn't realize something was seriously wrong. After I started to put 2 and 2 together, especially when the new bulbs I put in blew, I started questioning the batteries wiring he did. So after hooking it up to one battery and seeing the things I could check run normally I'm pretty certain there was 24 volts going through the system. The elderly gent I bought it from told me he put in a battery shutoff for me just before I got there. He said he had always planned on doing but never got around to so he figured he'd do it for me. His heart was in the right place so I don't fault him. I had a pop-up before this so I'm in the travel trailer learning curve and apparently gaining some harsh knowledge. Keep comments, past experiences and any advice/thoughts coming I do appreciate it and I'll post as I learn more about this and if I messed any major components up. Thanks for the calming words Mark and Cecelia. I still can't wait for my first venture out. Little bit of rough start though
Old 04-22-2014, 05:45 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do not feel too bad.. I recall reading, very likely in these very forums, of a RVer who had his six volt batteries replaced by a genuine RV dealer.

NOW one would think the DEALER would know how to wire them right.

WRONG
Old 04-22-2014, 07:39 AM   #10

The way the 2 batteries were wired were as follows....
1st battery: pos to trailer, 2nd battery: neg to trailer.
Then, jumper 1st battery neg to 2nd battery pos.

So if I have this correct to properly wire I will need one more jumper and wire as follows:
Scenario 1
1st battery: pos to trailer and jumper pos to pos of 2nd battery.
2nd battery: neg to trailer and jumper neg to neg of 1st battery.

or would it be better to hook this way:
Scenario 2
1st battery: pos to trailer, neg to trailer
2nd battery: pos to pos of 1st battery, neg to neg of second battery

I think Scenario one is correct but could someone confirm this please....Thanks!
Old 04-22-2014, 07:46 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamu View Post
The way the 2 batteries were wired were as follows....
1st battery: pos to trailer, 2nd battery: neg to trailer.
Then, jumper 1st battery neg to 2nd battery pos.

So if I have this correct to properly wire I will need one more jumper and wire as follows:
Scenario 1
1st battery: pos to trailer and jumper pos to pos of 2nd battery.
2nd battery: neg to trailer and jumper neg to neg of 1st battery.

or would it be better to hook this way:
Scenario 2
1st battery: pos to trailer, neg to trailer
2nd battery: pos to pos of 1st battery, neg to neg of second battery

I think Scenario one is correct but someone confirm this please....Thanks!
Does it look like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2x12 Volt in Parallel.gif
Views:	98
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	61128  
Old 04-22-2014, 07:57 AM   #12

It didn't (when I got the trailer it was was incorrectly wired just befor I picked it up) but that's how I'm planning to wire the batteries today. Will be testing systems today to determine if things still work after momentarily running 24 v to my trailer....Thanks for the diagram, appreciate you taking the time to get that.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:02 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Well , lets hope nothing was damaged! Best of luck , and let us know how everything is/////........
Old 04-22-2014, 08:12 AM   #14

Kamu-
By now you probably realize it isn't as bad as you may have originally feared. Over-voltage of motors for a short time duration is usually not a killer. Fans & water pump & slide motor are likely OK once the fuses are replaced. Lights - same once the bulbs (and power panel fuses) are replaced. As others have aluded to - the electronics are the concern. If the equipment is over-designed, then it should operate once the fuses are replaced. I would be most concerned with the refrigerator and stereo system surviving this event. These devices may have an internal fuse, so if they don't power up after 12V is reapplied, check the fuse box and then frig & stereo for internal fuses.

As to wiring the batteries correctly, you have parallel connection sorted out. Also - insure battery kill switch is off before making the battery to trailer connections. The safest way to connect batteries is to connect the batteries together first, then connect battery pos to trailer pos, lastly connect the battery neg cable to trailer neg lug. Then the power switch can be turned back on. If you switched off 12V power correctly, the order of reconnection doesn't matter; but if you forgot to switch off power first - then the order of reconnection is important. Safety is always a multi-layer approach.

A/C unit & microwave & TV likely only 120VAC, so shouldn't be any issues there. Good luck.
lmcleister is offline   Reply With Quote