Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2014, 09:50 AM   #15

I stop up the Sink and add about a cup of water to it, when the TT is level the water is dead center in the sink drain.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #16

I use a two foot level on the outside wall for side to side and tongue for front to back level. Great results with doors closing properly, counters level and floor.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kekker View Post
I stop up the Sink and add about a cup of water to it, when the TT is level the water is dead center in the sink drain.
kekker
Is the floor of your fridge freezer compartment level when your sink is level?
If not you are playing Russian roulette with the life of your refrigerator.
Mel
'96 Safari, 18 year old Norcold
Old 06-16-2014, 11:20 AM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
kekker
Is the floor of your fridge freezer compartment level when your sink is level?
If not you are playing Russian roulette with the life of your refrigerator.
Mel
'96 Safari, 18 year old Norcold
The refrigerator will work if off as much as 3. I'd imagine if the sink were level the rest would be within specs, --- unless the trailer had a rubber frame.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf32450 View Post
I use a two foot level on the outside wall for side to side and tongue for front to back level. Great results with doors closing properly, counters level and floor.
Ever since I saw a video of someone using the side of the trailer to level I have had great success in getting the trailer level from side to side! It seems to greatly exaggerate any slight amount! Try it & you will be hooked!
I use the floor or the counter top to check front to back!
Old 06-21-2014, 06:24 AM   #20

Georgie Boy Owners Club
I'm been in construction for 30 years, hence I have a pretty good eye.

I'll start by picking a level site.
If this is achieved and we're not staying long I'll even for - go the jacks!!
Other times I'll use the lights o the HWH jack system, I'm thinking their factory installed sensor will be close.
I'll walk back 50 feet and eye ball the unit both ways.

To this day I have never rolled out of bed!!
RoscoeAndTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:34 AM   #21

This is more difficult than I thought??

Russell
Old 06-21-2014, 07:00 AM   #22

It doesn't need to be. Take your time the first time around. Check everything you like. Once satisfied, find a couple of easy to access reference points and use those from then on. As mentioned, unless your coach has a rubber frame, the relationship between the refer, the floor, the counter tops, etc. shouldn't change much from campsite to campsite.

After squaring ours up a few times, I installed a small bubble level just to my left on a side console. I've found I cant feel or see the level of the coach reliably when behind the wheel - therefor the bubble level. I reference that when I pull in, to see if it's close. If so, great, just drop the jacks to finish leveling and stabilize. If the bubble level shows not so great, we break out the wood blocks and drive up on those to bring up the low corner or side, then drop the jacks to finish level and stabilize.

It's pretty simple in practice. Not a big production at all. Not being a perfectionist about it might be helping us a bit though? 8 scissor jacks, holy cow....
Old 06-29-2014, 07:11 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Level:

DW likes to cook, if the fry & cake pan are level, the rest is usually close enough. If the cook is happy, so am I. gps
Old 06-29-2014, 08:02 PM   #24

stick on adhesive levels

I used a 4 foot level to get my TT level one time front to rear on the frame and side to side off of the tounge then I affixed two adhesive stick on levels that I bought off of amazon. One on the front and one on the side works prefectly everytime.

for those of you who are primarily concerned about your refridgerator, If a smaller sized fridge is OK check out the sawafuji engel fridges. Not sure which units they offer in the states, but they sell a 70 liter unit that is a drop-in replacement for the smaller evap fridges. It is an actual 12 volt compressor fridge that can operate up to 30 degrees off level. I have two of the top loader ice chest style and they work great, use very little electricity.

they also sell a DIY kit to convert larger evap fridges over to their swing motor compressor style......think about it, no worries about level, no worries about no ice, no worries about your TT or camper catching on fire

kenn
Old 06-29-2014, 09:17 PM   #25

I have a levels on all four corners of the 5'er. Plus I check the fridge and floor. After I get it close I check the door swing on the shower, then the bathroom door. I then make adjustments to fine tune it. Takes about an hour to get good and level. Then I put 8 screw jacks under it to get it really solid.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:55 PM   #26

What I did was put a level on the floor, leveled front to back and side to side. Then I checked the counters and they were pretty good, roughly (1/2) bubble, so it felt correct walking around and also checked to see that the bed felt level and it did. I then put a bubble level in the bottom of the fridge and it was within a 1/2 bubble as well. After that I mounted two exterior bubbles on the outside and set them as level. When I camp I shoot for level on the outside levels and check the level in the fridge and it's been consistently close enough for me. Sometimes it ends up being right on center other times it's off a little but generally if I can get a half bubble or even a little less on the fridge bubble level I'm happy and so is the fridge. Everyone has their own way of doing it this is just my way. Out of all these methods I'm sure you'll find one that works for you....
Old 07-02-2014, 09:07 PM   #27

I leveled the floor, the bumpers, looked at the trailer etc etc etc. At the campsite the sir conditioner (heat pump type) leaked water all over the place and then quit! Looked at the drain and no water coming from it. It was then I found MY error the fridge and air conditioner were not mounted level with the trailer. I now level trailer by the fridge which makes the heat pump level as well. The trailer floor is out by half a bubble or more but the air condition now works again. I suppose the fridge is happy at least the door does not swing anymore!

Lesson learned!

Tags
leveling