Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2014, 04:55 PM   #1

Measuring point for leveling?

Which of the following do you base your side 2 side leveling on when setting up your rig?

Fridge
Floor
Counter top
Door swing (neutral resting point)

I always figured the fridge was the most important (ie, damage from the chems creating a burn spot?) but when I base 'level' on it my doors swing crazy and water collects a little in the sink.

I would like to hear your preference and experience.

bjlakatos is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2014, 05:07 PM   #2

This is a great question. My answer so far is to level the floor in the entry area and hope the rest is close enough. I'll further ask where or how to check the fridge for level?

Old 06-13-2014, 05:17 PM   #3

I have a fifthwheel and so I have some grat places to check for level,

first is front to back, 2' level on frame behind stairs

second, in front storage on frame crossmember, 4' level

third, in fridge itself,on bottom of fridge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03658.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	373.6 KB
ID:	65345   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03659.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	310.3 KB
ID:	65346  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03661.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	65347  
Spencer & Tracie RVM#62
2013 RAM 3500DRW 4x4 Laramie, Cummins, 385HP,850FTLBS Aisin Trans
2014 DRV Elite Suite 41RESB4
Spare puller:2004 RAM3500DRW Cummins (DW's truck)
Roosters 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:19 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Floor or countertop is close enough. I use a small torpedo level or level app on my iPhone. Refrigerator doesn't have to be perfectly level, just close. If it's comfortable for you to move about and live in it, it's level enough. I aim for about 'half bubble' or better. I believe 3 is what the fridge can handle.

By the way, relationship between most objects in your RV won't change, so if you park and get it accurately level once measured on refrigerator bottom, then you can move level about and check what else you might use to level next time without having to open fridge or freezer.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:22 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The old guideline with older fridges was to place a level on the bottom of the freezer.

Nowadays, with the newer fridges, the guideline is, if you're comfortable inside and the doors are not swinging, it's close enough.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:31 PM   #6

My wife gets upset if the eggs run on the stove so guess what I level. You guessed it the stove.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:59 PM   #7

I laid on the ground and put a level on the bottom of the frame and adjusted the side levels to match. Think i would like on of those bubble levels for inside !!!

Jim
Old 06-13-2014, 08:02 PM   #8

Most important place is the bed. Crooked bed, bad sleep. I started by putting my bubble level on the bed base under the mattress then found a place on the floor up front that showed the same levelness. Mark that spot and you can use it forever when leveling.
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Measuring point for leveling?

I use a torpedo level on the kitchen counter for side to side and front to back.

Close counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, nuclear weapons, and RV leveling. (-:
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:49 PM   #10
South East Texas Area Leaders

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use a 2ft bubble level inside the front door floor front to back and side to side. Then check the kitchen counter top for level. Checking the door swing then assures me it's good
MikenAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
Which of the following do you base your side 2 side leveling on when setting up your rig?

Fridge
Floor
Counter top
Door swing (neutral resting point)

I always figured the fridge was the most important (ie, damage from the chems creating a burn spot?) but when I base 'level' on it my doors swing crazy and water collects a little in the sink.

I would like to hear your preferece and experience.

bjlakatos
Since the ammonia absorption refrigerator IS the most important thing to level in an RV, base both your side to side and the front to back leveling on the level of the FLOOR of the FREEZER in your refrigerator.
Your fridge will be happier and last longer.

BTW, if you're lucky your swinging doors will be in a neutral position and the floors and counter tops will be somewhat close to level, (aka: level enough to live with).
Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles, (w/ original Norcold)
Old 06-13-2014, 10:12 PM   #12

I used the kitchen counter top to level the coach, then velcroed a bubble level by the steering wheel for side to side, and one by the driver side window for front to back. I can see them while operating the hydraulic jacks, or while driving thru Walmart parking lot to find a level spot so I don't have to use my jacks. If you ever get out of adjustment, pull off and reapply. Has worked out nicely.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:47 AM   #13

I got the inside very very level in a big parking lot one day then picked a couple of spots outside I could use side to side and front to back.

You can always level it just right, then mark 2 dots on the side and front as what is level. Sharpie dot marks might have to be reapplied occasionally.

To get the initial level and pitch I used the fridge, floor, bed, counters, stove and a 2 liter bottle with a circle drawn around it that I marked at home (where I know it was level). I carry 2 2' levels and the 2 liter bottle. Gallon milk jug might work better because it is more distance across. All the things mentioned in above post.

I use the level on the back bumper with a shim in a particular place for side to side, and a level up front on the A frame with a shim and that is because those are the most extreme ends and the furthest from where it has to be right.

I find that on a 2' level, 1/4" off center = 1" level boards on the low side. 8 foot wide rig, 2 foot level, ratio is 4 to 1, 1/4" level = 1" rig, 1/8" level = extra 1/2 turn on scissor jacks on low side.

I also use 8 scissor jacks that I place at specific points on the frame to stop movement and can "tweak" the level if I need to. 8 scissor jacks; middle of front bedroom slide, front of front spring perch, rear of rear spring perch, 1/2 way from rear spring perch to rear of rear walk space on inside (we have a TV & storage unit at the rear of the rig and you can't walk there), duplicate on opposite side.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:01 AM   #14

I am exhausted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Weis View Post
I got the inside very very level in a big parking lot one day then picked a couple of spots outside I could use side to side and front to back.

You can always level it just right, then mark 2 dots on the side and front as what is level. Sharpie dot marks might have to be reapplied occasionally.

To get the initial level and pitch I used the fridge, floor, bed, counters, stove and a 2 liter bottle with a circle drawn around it that I marked at home (where I know it was level). I carry 2 2' levels and the 2 liter bottle. Gallon milk jug might work better because it is more distance across. All the things mentioned in above post.

I use the level on the back bumper with a shim in a particular place for side to side, and a level up front on the A frame with a shim and that is because those are the most extreme ends and the furthest from where it has to be right.

I find that on a 2' level, 1/4" off center = 1" level boards on the low side. 8 foot wide rig, 2 foot level, ratio is 4 to 1, 1/4" level = 1" rig, 1/8" level = extra 1/2 turn on scissor jacks on low side.

I also use 8 scissor jacks that I place at specific points on the frame to stop movement and can "tweak" the level if I need to. 8 scissor jacks; middle of front bedroom slide, front of front spring perch, rear of rear spring perch, 1/2 way from rear spring perch to rear of rear walk space on inside (we have a TV & storage unit at the rear of the rig and you can't walk there), duplicate on opposite side.

Tags
leveling