Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2014, 07:39 AM   #1

Memorial Weekend 2014

So, what are everyones plans this Memorial Weekend? Let me guess, Camping!

My family and I are looking at taking our new to me rig to one of our local RV parks in our area to give her a good test.

What kind of things do people do while camping?
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2014, 07:43 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Better get your reservations in... start of the season is always very crowded!

We are going to a fly in so we will be boondocking by a grass airstrip at a small airport around Emporia, KS.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:45 AM   #3

We too will be going to a local campground for the long weekend.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:49 AM   #4

I fear I will wind up just parked in front of my 32 inch in the TT watching the same things I do at home.....just different scenery out of the window....
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:00 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGuy1966 View Post
I fear I will wind up just parked in front of my 32 inch in the TT watching the same things I do at home.....just different scenery out of the window....
What's your point?
Old 05-19-2014, 08:11 AM   #6

I would never go camping just to sit inside and watch tv. Too many other things to do outside. We like to bike, hike, kayak and golf. We try and find CG's that offer at least two of those. I can watch tv at home so why buy a $40,000+ trailer and a $50,000 truck to tow a tv.
Obesity rates would drop drastically if people just turned off their tv's and went for a walk.
We haven't decide if we're going this weekend or not. Just started installing a large pondless waterfall in the backyard so we may just work on that instead of fighting the crowds.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #7

Ok, we are the odd balls. We camp before and after the holiday but as entertaining as it is with the crowds and crowded boat ramps, we prefer the peace and quiet of the 'off' weekends. This holiday weekend, we will host a beer tasting, make it to one of our favorite dining establishments w/good friends and hang out at the pool. Of course since it will be a short week after the holiday, we will get ready to go camping. :-D
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
Ok, we are the odd balls. We camp before and after the holiday but as entertaining as it is with the crowds and crowded boat ramps, we prefer the peace and quiet of the 'off' weekends. This holiday weekend, we will host a beer tasting, make it to one of our favorite dining establishments w/good friends and hang out at the pool. Of course since it will be a short week after the holiday, we will get ready to go camping. :-D

We're doing the same.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:32 PM   #9

Camping on the beach at Carlsbad, California in our 22' Lazy Daze class C and my brother's family in his new Lance 2385 TT.

We had to make the reservations 6 months ago.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:28 AM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Made my reservations about 4 months ago. This Friday will be the first trip in out new TT. We have been spending a lot of hours out there making sure everything is stocked up and ready to go. Cant wait!!!
Old 05-20-2014, 07:57 AM   #11

Headed to Pennsylvania Dutch country.
BBQ Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGuy1966 View Post

RVGuy, if you allow your camping to become an expensive hotel room in a different location, it can be. You have to decide how you want to make it special and something to look forward to.

My families thoughts are we go camping to relax, disconnect from the electronics and enjoy each others company along with any new friends we may make. We set no alarms. Mentioning the time of day it is by anything with a number gets you a scorned look. We describe it as Breakfast time, hike/walk time, lunch time, swimming pool time, lazy time, dinner time, campfire time, etc.

We play board or card games when it's raining or if we feel like sitting around, we take walks in the park or do activities that are available at that campground (Fishing, horseback riding, campground activities that they usually have posted on a flyer if they are doing anything that week/wkend). We listen to Sirius radio and only turn the TV on if weather is threatening or for the 11 o'clock news to get a forecast. Phones and internet are only allowed in the morning prior to breakfast and once you are in bed for the night. If someone catches you otherwise, you do dishes for the next meal.

We walk the dog through the campground loops (with poop pickup bags ;-) so we don't leave anything unwanted for our neighbors. We walk down to the lake, we take a drive into the small town(s) so many campgrounds and state parks are located near and window shop and try to find a nice little local diner for lunch or breakfast. We eat like kings and queens, preparing pork loins or ribs or something we have to slow cook or takes a lot of prep time that we don't usually have the time for.

My daughter and her friends that have gone camping with us generally talk about the food as much as the activities because we make it special that way along with others. And every evening through bedtime, we have a nice cracklin' fire to sit around, talk and tell stories, cook smores or frozen pizza rolls (cook great on a metal hot dog fork). Sometimes if we are lucky, we have made friends with someone during one of our walks or our daughter has at the pool and we invite them up to share the fire.

We generally either make and take home made ice cream or watermelon or some other treat to make it special.

Hope you find your way to make it special and enjoy your camping. Mine has worked for my family, evidenced by my 15 year old daughter still wanting to go with her 50 year old parents, some times bring a friend and sometimes just wanting to hang with us.

Good Luck!
CincyGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:15 AM   #13

We will be going to a family reunion/camping experience. We visit, drink beer, and play Hillbilly golf. Not just ANY Hillbilly golf....we draw for teams, then we set up brackets (like NCAA)....and play double elimination. It's an all day Saturday, then again on Sunday affair. Then we cook out, and gather around the huge campfire, and listen and sing along while some of the family plays their guitars. Alot of times people from around the camp area will bring lawn chairs and come listen too. Nice to have family members who play in a band!!
DreaminBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:28 AM   #14

X2 on CincyGus! I missed the 2nd part of the original question.

I can't emphasize enough how much we value getting our kids 'off the grid'. They enjoy the game machines, phones, etc until we get about 30min from our destination then all the electronic stuff is put away for the weekend. We found over the years that there is many more dimensions to our kids than we see at day in and day out at home.

We enjoy talking while hiking, creative responses during board games and puzzles when it is raining. Occasionally watching a family movie when its too cold outside the evening.

We cook more during the winter both with electric skillet and dutch oven, food is a big part of the camping experience.

In the summer, our activities surround the lake/boating and eat mostly premade foods since it so hot outside and we prefer to be out on the water.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote