Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2014, 04:55 PM   #29

I much prefer fiberglass. It has a much cleaner nicer look. And its easy to keep clean a wax a few times a year. I can only imagine trying to take wax off of an aluminum sided trailer.

With that being said when we start looking at new trailers in a few years I won't completely write off aluminum construction. If we could find the perfect floor plan at the right price I would settle for one.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2014, 07:09 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Do you know if any manufactures make high end 5th wheels rated for full timing that have wood framing and corrugated aluminum sides? I haven't seen any. I wonder why.
I have little experience with high end full time rigs. I speculate that the transition to fiberglass had more to do with aesthetics than anything. I also speculate that the high end fifth wheels and motorhomes have much more stringent QC than the bulk of RVs out there. My understanding is that many of those have a different type of roof system than the lower and mid level rigs which leads to a much lower or maybe even non-existent potential for roof leaks. Maybe the fiberglass used is thicker and/or better quality, too??? When I refer to what I have seen, I am speaking primarily of campers and fifth wheels in the under $40K or so range. This, at least in my area, accounts for the majority of rigs out there. Most of these units have the same type of rubber roof with several seams that can begin leaking should a sealant joint fail. The OP is indicating that he is going to be buying a travel trailer. I think it would be doing him a great disservice to steer him toward a $30K fiberglass TT because of experiences with high end luxury rigs and/or $300K+ motorhomes. MY observation has been that delam is a very real possibility, especially if owners are anything other than anal about roof inspection and maintenance. AND, should delam occur the owner is typically stuck footing the bill. Insurance doesn't cover it, and manufacturers can often claim lack of owner maintenance caused a leak. They look great and I've almost purchased one before, but I considered it knowing I'd have to be very cautious about inspection/maintenance and I've got a covered shed for storage that further reduces the likelihood I'll experience an unknown leak.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:58 AM   #31

Thanks for the help. Keep them coming, this is a hard decision to make I have talked to several people in the camp ground about their campers and ask if they would buy them again. Keep all the comments coming because I can't be the only guy thinking about this
thanks
gunner1 is offline   Reply With Quote